Thinking of buying a 360? ::FAQ::

Sovieto

Banned
Aug 6, 2006
It seems like a lot of members are looking into buying XBox 360's all of a sudden.
So how about we try to keep all info regarding that here, so it will be a place where someone can go, get answers, and feel they are making the right choice.

Basic info about the Xbox 360:
The Xbox 360 came out during the holiday seasons of 2005 almost worldwide. It has already shipped 10 million units and was the first of the next generation
consoles to debut. It's an extremely powerful console but the real seller is the online service. XBox Live lets you rent movies, even in HD, from your own home. It lets you customize your system to your liking, and lets you download shows, games, and music.

F.A.Q. (will be added to)

Q. There are 3 versions of the 360? Which one should I get?

A: Ask almost anyone and they will tell you to get the premium version, it is more costy compared to the core ($350USD) but you get what you pay for. The core version is a dumbed down version but costs less ($280USD). The new Elite model is for the hardcore entertainment junkie ($450USD). The Elite model is coming out in the US on April 29th, 2007.
Here are the extras you get when purchasing the premium pack:

-Wireless controller
-20GB detachable harddrive
-headset
-ethernet cable (wire for connecting to your modem for online play)
-free arcade game
-chrome finish
-component/composite cable

Here are the extras when purchasing the Elite model:

-120GB detachable harddrive
-black finish (wireless black controller too)
-HDMI port

Getting the premium version allows you to take full advantage of your system and use it the way it's meant to be used. Even though the 20gb really only gives you 13gb (space is already used for other things) it still is enough with some memory managing.
The Elite is for you if you want to download a lot of movies and shows and other forms of entertainment off of your XBox 360. Getting the Elite allows you to be future-proof with memory and technology. This is probably not the best choice though if you looking at the 360 mostly for games.

Q: What is Xbox Live?
A: Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service for the Xbox and Xbox 360. On the Xbox 360 it was totally redone and is the core around the Xbox 360. You have the ability to download shows, movies, music, games, demos, themes, gamer pictures, almost anything you could want for a video gaming system. Xbox Live features the ability to mute players, give feedback, and have your very own gamercard with a gamer picture that tells others who you are in the gaming world.
Xbox Live also features TrueSkill, that can be used in games. When used it pairs players up with other players of a similar skill level. So you don't always get dominated by the more experienced players. :wink: (XBL also dose cost $50USD a year)

Q: What is this downloadable content buzz all about? Am I forced to buy it?
A: Downloadable content are various things you can download to add to a game, or your XBox Live experience. You will never be forced to buy anything just to play your game online or something of the sort. All though, you might not have the option to play Ranked Matches with new content (so its a fair leaderboard for everyone).

Q: About HD, is it worth it? And dose it really make a difference?
A: Sorta, and yes. HDTVs can be very expensive right now, so going out and picking one up just for your 360 may not be the BEST idea, but is a good idea at the same time. Also, it really dose make a difference, the picture is much more clear and rich in colors. If you ever see a SDTV and a HDTV side by side, you will clearly notice the huge difference.

Q: What's a Wii60?
A: Wii60 is the term used for owning a Xbox 360 and a Wii, it is believed by many it is what will dominate this generation of gaming. Also, from my experience, most people who have a Wii60 are very happy with it, so don't feel guilty or anything for buying a Xbox 360 when already having a Wii.

Q: I heard Xbox 360 is just shooters, is this true?
A: No, that is a stereotype, just like when people say Nintendo is kiddy. Just more of the popular games are shooters like Halo, Gears of War, , and Ghost Recon: Advanced War fighter. There are plenty of hits that don't fall under the shooter category such as: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Kameo, and Mass Effect.

Q: How many games are there?
A: 100+ HD games already out

Q: What cool games are out for the 360 right now?
A: No matter what your into, there should be something for you. Here are a few hit games with a brief description:

Saints Row, an action-adventure sandbox game. You are part of a gang and will fight other gangs to reclaim your turf and become the most feared and respected gang member around. Very similar to GTA: San Andreas, but a different game in it's own right.

Gears of War, a tactical third-person shooter game that is considered the first Killer-Application for the Xbox 360. You control Marcus Fenix who is on a mission to defeat an attack alien enemy on the war-torn planet Sera. With awesome strategy requiring online play, that is also extremely tense. This is a title best enjoyed with Xbox Live and one that shouldn't be missed.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, is a fantasy-themed action-adventure RPG. It features a very open world that is ever expanding through downloads via Xbox Live. It is nearly impossible to complete every quest and do everything there is to do in this massive world of a game.

Dead Rising, is a action game where it's you, a mall, and thousands of zombies. This game requires the player to survive, while doing objectives. Your a news photographer and this could be your big break, if you get out alive. You'll fight though swarms of the living dead and interact with many NPCs throughout the 3 days you have. Best part? almost anything can be used as a weapon.

Ghost Recon: Advance War fighter, is a first-person tactical shooter game. You control a squad in the near future while fighting Mexican rebels. You'll take control of a mean arsenal of items and guns while doing objectives that your country requires of you. Also, there is an explosive multiplayer which can't be missed.

Lost Planet, is a third-person shooter created by Capcom that takes place on E.D.N III, a snowy-ice planet. You must fight off swarms of the Akrid and Snow Pirates as you search for the Green Eye, a large creature who killed his father. Intense shooting and a wide rang e of weapons will keep you on your toes. Also, there is a thermal suit that constantly depletes or you will freeze. Intense 16 player online action is included with this platinum title.

These are just a few of the hit titles, there are many more.

Some titles coming in the future worth noting are:
Halo 3
Too Human
Mass Effect

Q: What are Xbox Live Arcade games?
A: Xbox Live Arcade games are games fairly small in size (under 50mb) that you can download via Xbox Live. They features hit classics such as Doom, Streetfighter, and Contra, and also have new original titles such as Small Arms, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved, and Roboblitz. Some other quirky titles are Alien Hominid HD, Cloning Clyde, and even UNO, yes, you read that right, UNO, which is also enables a Xbox Live Vision Camera.

Q: What are Microsoft Points?
A: Microsoft points is your money in the virtual world of the Xbox 360. You can purchase XBL Arcade games with them, music, movies, shows, or even game add-ons with (not all game add-ons require points).

Q: What is a gamercard?

A: Your gamercard is your mini profile. It displays where your from, your Achievement points, your Gamertag (name which you use online), your playing zone, reputation, and your gamer picture.

Q: What are Achievements?

A: Achievements are what you earn for doing various tasks in games. When unlocked, you will receive gamerpoints. Gamepoints or achievements don't really do anything besides show your status and give you a little more for playing games. Achievements can easily give more life to games and make you determined to earn them. Many people have become very addicted to them (like myself), and try to earn them whenever possible. Some examples of achievements are:
(Gears of War) Kill 100 enemies in ranked matches with the Chainsaw.
(G.R.A.W.) Climb to the top of the universal leaderboard.
(Alien Hominid) Complete level 1-1 of the game.

Q: What accessories are available for the XBox 360?
A: There are many accessories that will probably meet your needs. To start off we have gaming accessories.
Gaming Accessories
Wireless Steering Wheel. It is compatible with all your racing games and adds that realism you want to feel.
Wired/Wireless Guitar. Both guitars are compatible with Guitar Hero 2/3 and Rock Band, they are required to play Guitar Hero, not so much Rock Band, but it is part of the set for it.
Drums/Microphone. Two more accessories part of the Rock Band accessory package.
Controller Accessories
Play and Charge. This accessory allows you to charge up your wireless XBox 360 controller while playing your XBox 360. The wire plugs into any USB slot on the console.
Rechargeable Battery Docking Station. The charging station is an easy-to-use kit that allows you to charge a rechargeable battery pack then start using it right when its done, most of the docks can charge up to two packs at a time.
Rechargeable Battery Packs. You can purchase stand-alone battery packs for your docking station.
Wired/Wireless Headset. One of the more common accessories are the headsets. You can purchase a wired headset (one comes with the Elite and Premium versions) or a wireless headset. They give you the ability of volume control and mute. The wireless headset comes with a charger so no need for batteries.
Console Accessories
Wireless Adapter. For wireless connections, you can purchase the XBox wireless adapter. It is an excellent wireless adapter for gaming online but should only be used if you need one, since wire > wireless for connection speeds no matter what.
Intercooler. For running your XBox 360 console at cooler temperatures for longer periods, you can buy an Intercooler. These pop right onto the back of your XBox 360 via USB slot and provide extra fans that help you get where you're going.
HD-DVD Player. A popular item on this list is the HD-DVD player (also includes King Kong on HD-DVD for a limited amount of time and a Universal Media Remote). This will plug right into your XBox 360 console via USB port and allows you to playback HD-DVDs. For only $180.00USD, its a bargain.
Universal Media Remote. There is also a Universal Media Remote, you can play simple games and navigate your XBox 360 with this device. It is mainly used though for ease-of-use control over DVD playerback or HD-DVD playback.
Live Vision Camera. One of the other more popular accessories is the XBox Live Vision Camera. This camera allows other gamers to see you in select games, take a picture for your gamer picture, have video chats, play compatible games, and more. It has a very sleek design that can sit right on top of your TV.
Harddrives. There is the 20GB detachable harddrive (included with Premium, 120GB on Elite). You can attach it onto any XBox 360 console (yes it you can attach it to the Core version) and have your previous/home system right there.
Memory Units. There is also the 64MB 512MB (512MB includes the XBL arcade title: Geometry Wars.). These plug into the front of your XBox 360 console through the memory slots and allow you to carry around what you want where you want. You can also take them to XBox 360 demo stalls in select stores and get additional free content.
Console Customization
Faceplates. Faceplates attach onto you XBox 360 and include a wide range of different designs including your favorite video games to your favorite designs. You can pop these on and off of your console as you wish.
Skins. Skins are what they always have been, skins that go over your console or controller to give it a new look.

Happy hunting!

Please give feedback, corrections, and questions. This is my first attempt at a F.A.Q./Buyers guide/whatever, so please be nice. :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:
damn i shoulda waited a day before looking into it, i was on the xbox site last night looking around reading all the info for like 2 hours. and here it is. thanks bro.

Lobstermobster said:
damn i shoulda waited a day before looking into it, i was on the xbox site last night looking around reading all the info for like 2 hours. and here it is. thanks bro.
thanks, please give me any questions or concerns you have ;)

A: No, that is a stereotype, just like when people say Nintendo is kiddy. Just more of the popular games are shooters like Halo, Gears of War, , and Ghost Recon: Advanced War fighter. There are plenty of hits that don't fall under the shooter category such as: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Dead Rising, Saints Row, Kameo, and Mass Effect.

Wouldn't saints row fall under the category of shooter? Isn't it mainly running around doing missions fo' yo' gang and shooting?

ThatGuy127 said:
Wouldn't saints row fall under the category of shooter? Isn't it mainly running around doing missions fo' yo' gang and shooting?
it really dosent, even though you shoot, its based around action/adventure, if you look at the category of it, it shouldnt say shooter, even though you do shoot.

Well, I guess that makes sense.... It still looks like a good game, the demo sure is fun :) I just haven't bothered to rent it yet.

im gonnna have to be buying my 360 **** all on my own, and i just think its a tad expensive to start up, i mean the only real reason why i want it right now is to play gears online. but its gonna cost me 400 bucks for the system, 50 for the game. and thats not the worst, i cant believe it costs a 100 dollars for the xbox wifi antena. a 100 bucks for something the size of a usb flash drive. whack.

Lobstermobster said:
and thats not the worst, i cant believe it costs a 100 dollars for the xbox wifi antena. a 100 bucks for something the size of a usb flash drive. whack.
thats why you buy a wireless bridge. it basicly works the same way but it uses the ethernet port instead of the USB port. thats what my friend does

i'd pay 150 dollars for the xbox live function if i could adapt it to my wii.....every day my friend brags about how he "schooled" some college guys in switzerland...lol

wiifreak9292 said:
i'd pay 150 dollars for the xbox live function if i could adapt it to my wii.....every day my friend brags about how he "schooled" some college guys in switzerland...lol
yah its what you do on xbox live :thumbsup:

(i will try to update this tomorrow when i get home from school:) )

Nice post, do you have any idea when, Project Zephyr (the new xbox360) will be coming?

Also, thought I would share this with you; all exclusive 360 games:

Halo 3
Halo Wars
Peter Jackson's New Halo Project
Dead Rising
Lost Planet
PGR3
PGR4
Forza Motorsport 2
Hour of Victory
Too Human ( Triology )
Garou Densetsu Special
Demons of Mercy
Senko No Ronde RevX
Street Trace: NYC
WarDevil: Enigma
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Cry-On
Blue Dragon
Unnamed Mistwalker Project
N3 99 Nights
Full Auto
Trusty Bell
Culdsept Saga
Lost Odyssey
Import Tuner Challange
Versus Tactical Action
Eets: Chowdown
Dead or Alive 4
Dead or Alive 5
Dead or Alive X2
Dead or Alive Code Chronus
Project Progressive
Small Arms
Assault Heroes
Scramble
Ninja Gaiden 2
Viva Pinata
Kameo Elements of Power
Moto GP '06
Moto GP '07
Gears of War
Hardwood Hearts
Hardwood Spades
Alhambra
360 Mahjong
T4
The Conveni 200X
Tsuushin Taisen Mahjong Touryummon
Bullet Witch
Mass Effect (Triology)
Track & Field
Fable 2
Perfect Dark Zero
Banjo Threeie
Love Football
Table Tennis
FarCry Instincts Predator
Phantasy Star Universe
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Hoop World
Tempest
Wing Commander Arena
Dance Dance Revolution Universe
Idolmaster
Earth Defence Force 2017
Clonning Clyde
Project Sylpheed
Rumble Roses XX
Heavy Weapon: Atomic Tank
Pro Yakyuu Sprits 3
Naruto
Root Beer Tapper
Boom Boom Rocket
Pinball FX
Vampire's Rain
Alien Hominid
Band of Bugs
Bomberman Act Zero
Flatout Ultimate Carnage
Chromehounds
Shenmue 3
Marble Blast Ultra
The Outfit
Ridge Racer 6
Castle Crashers
Geometry Wars Evolved
Warlords
Kengo Zero
Big bumpin'
Interstellar Marines
Novadrome
Time Pilot
Zoo Keeper
Amped 3
Zoids Alternative
Inis isimsiz proje
Absolute Blazing Infinity
Infinite Undiscovery
Diario: Reverse Moon Legend
Far East of Eden Ziria
Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage
Zoids Infinity Ex Neo
Mutant Storm Empire
Over G Fighters
Fear & Respect
Survivor
Crystal Quest
Phantasy Star Universe: IIIuminas no Yabou
Blitz The League
A Ressha de Ikou HX
Bankshot Billards 2
3D Ultra Minigolf Adventures
Postal 3
Red Baron
Ghostbusters
Mushroom Men
Oneechanbara VorteX
Operation Darkness
Samurai Dou online
Every Party
Zegapain XOR
Yie Ar Kung Fu
Tenchu Senran
Gyruss
Carcassone
1XR
Toy Wars
GTR ( Special X360 version)
Outpost Kaloki X
Super Robot Wars XO
Cyberball
Missile Command
The Siege of Khe Sanh
Totem Ball
Rush'n Attack
AquaZone
Asteroids Deluxe
Joust
Magna Carta 2
Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire
Mobile Ops: The One Year War
Rapala Trophies
Hardwood Backgammon
Zuma Deluxe
Sneak King
Battlezone
Texas Hold 'em
Gaunlet
Smash TV
Battlestar Galactica
----------------------------------------
Games Expected To be Announced
1) Jade Empire 2
2) Rallisport Challange 3
3) Otogi 3
4) Magic The Gathering Battlegrounds 2
5) Unreal Championship 3
6) Gears of War Sequel
7) Dead Rising Sequel
8) Lost Planet Sequel
9) Saints Row Sequel

(Over 160 exclusives; some not out yet.)

Now all I need is a Wii to feel complete.

Back