Using the Wiimote in sword games

I just saw this on ign.com

Red Steel Developer Blog #1
Bonjour,

My name is Marie-Sol Beaudry, producer of Red Steel here in the Ubisoft Paris studio. We’re excited to share bits of information here on the ongoing development of this Wii exclusive launch title. Along with me, you’ll get to hear from our creative director, lead designer, art director and others on their areas of expertise.

We were really excited by everyone’s response to the Nintendo Wii at E3 and were thrilled to showcase Red Steel at the Nintendo press conference. After working so long on this project in complete secrecy, it was great to not just show the game but to also let people play it for the first time.

For this initial Blog entry, we want to talk about the Wii controller and how we’re using it to it is fullest.

The challenge for working on a new system, especially one that has such a focus on the interface with the Wii controller is that everything we’re doing in the game is directly effected by the controller. This includes everything from level design, overall game design, movement and storyline. When we first received the controller our imaginations were limitless but then we spoke to our programmers and determined that there were guidelines and rules of which we’d need to adhere to in regard to both functionality as well as game play.

In other words, while the shooting was fairly straight forward, point-and-shoot, it was the sword play that proved to be a true challenge. We quickly learned that wielding a sword and manipulating the controller was a lot of fun, but we didn’t want to force people to become actual professional swordsmen – just have fun. Also, we have to consider the animations of the sword and matching it up with what you see on screen. We didn’t want any delay whatsoever in response to what was happening with the controller and what you saw on the screen.

We’re continuing to tweak the controls to optimize the game and ensure it’s a great experience on all levels, for example keeping the precision and accuracy of the aiming but working on the sensitivity and the stability. Also the sword fighting is going to offer more diversity in movements and couple of special moves I will not talk about this time...

Well, that’s it for now. Stay tuned and see you again in two weeks!

The answer:

I saw this on a website:

Ubisoft has recently told the French press that there will be significant changes to the gameplay of their Wii launch title before the game hits store shelves later this year. Although specific examples of the improvements have not been announced, Ubisoft briefly commented on the difficulty of refining the sword-fighting of Red Steel. Rather than implement the style shown at E3, where players' unique movements with the Wii-Mote only translated into a few preset sword strikes in-game, Ubisoft is thought to be opting for a free-motion control scheme that takes into account every nuance of the player's/Wii-mote's movements, and translate them directly into the game's sword combat.

Hey darkprinny, don't make fun of tennis, u can make fun of henman, but don't make fun of the 2nd best Grand Slam baby....(I like federer anyway:))

Heya I thought I'd transfer over a couple of points that I posted on the same topic at Eurogamer.

Well unlike the majority of posters here I'm a fencer (sabre mainly) i.e. I actually have some idea of what a swordfight entails so for those who've never tried it I'll explain a bit.

In Real Life when you attack someone for example a high blow to the head and they bring their sword up to parry (horizontal) then you get a block and your sword, if following physics :p, will either stay there with the blades engaged until you or your opponent moves position or your sword will 'bounce' off your opponents and you can try for another attack or return to parry yourself.

Now this relies heavily on real life force feedback, you feel the vibration in your hand as the blade strikes but you also have the tactile sensation of pushing against an object that exists. Now in Red Steel when you attack and the opponent parries you you may feel a vibration but if you lock swords then you'll have no real feeling of whats happening or how much strength is behind it, all the controller could do is increase vibration.

Again in real life when someone blocks your sword your hand had better damn well stay where it is or somethings wrong with you :p You cannot continue to swing your hand when your sword is not moving simply because you're holding it and it itself is not moving.

In Red Steel there is nothing stopping you from continuing your movement meaning that you could very well end up with your character looking like an ass when your opponent disengages you and your character ends up with his sword pointing at the ground because that's where your controller happens to be pointing.

Besides, do you know how to swordfight ^_^? If an opponent attacks you on screen do you know how to hold the sword to block his attack? How to keep an En Guarde position with your sword so you're not defenceless? How to counterattack? Riposte? Engage swords? Disengage? No? Then how do you expect to win a fully free moving sword fight against a programmed opponent when you yourself have no idea how to use a sword o_O?

While not true freedom of control I believe and expansive gesture system can steel feel quite immersive. It's just a pity I can't put my Real Life experience into the game and own it :p

-Taero

And the next one

Heh I didnt mean to come off sounding all elitist or something like that I just meant to highlight that some people think Ubisoft should make it completely freeform. You can't do that and still have a convincing AI opponent. I don't want to be figuring out how to attack and have a stupid AI stood there letting me attack it because if it behaved without set restraint movements it would annihilate me, that would be even more unrealistic than expanded motion gestures.

People want to feel like they're in control of the battle but I want to feel that I'm actually fighting something worthwhile.

-Taero

Comments?

motherbrainrulez said:
depends on the motion bar size

no that is untrue the sensor bar emits a 180degree infared signal they wouldnt limit the range that little the sensor bar is tiny by the way probly only a foot or so long that would be impossible

and you can use full motion or small hand movements nintendo stated this very early on

one thing i dont like about the forums is how people post things without knowing the facts

come on people do the research!!! :tard:

blitzkrieg said:
The answer:

I saw this on a website:

Ubisoft has recently told the French press that there will be significant changes to the gameplay of their Wii launch title before the game hits store shelves later this year. Although specific examples of the improvements have not been announced, Ubisoft briefly commented on the difficulty of refining the sword-fighting of Red Steel. Rather than implement the style shown at E3, where players' unique movements with the Wii-Mote only translated into a few preset sword strikes in-game, Ubisoft is thought to be opting for a free-motion control scheme that takes into account every nuance of the player's/Wii-mote's movements, and translate them directly into the game's sword combat.

Could you tell your source, please?:)

If what that article said is true, then it's really gonna be amazing! In one video, I know I saw a guy holding the wiimote gangsta style:cool: and the gun in the game turned accordingly.

I believe there will be a motion sensitivity setting as I read that when you play 2 players the other players axis will not effect you own, that sounds like you will have your own setting for sensitivity, from little 1 inch slashes for the lazy people, and full slashes for the true feeling, or atleast I hope, if its not added yet red steel developers listening please add this feature. this may be saved on the player profiles that nintendo was talking about before, imagine having all your settings in any game linked to your name, just take your sd card to your friends house and select your name when the option comes up and your settings automatically load for your character, that would be awesome.

ghghgh14702 said:
I believe there will be a motion sensitivity setting as I read that when you play 2 players the other players axis will not effect you own, that sounds like you will have your own setting for sensitivity, from little 1 inch slashes for the lazy people, and full slashes for the true feeling, or atleast I hope, if its not added yet red steel developers listening please add this feature. this may be saved on the player profiles that nintendo was talking about before, imagine having all your settings in any game linked to your name, just take your sd card to your friends house and select your name when the option comes up and your settings automatically load for your character, that would be awesome.

That's a great idea, really. I've gone to my friends house so many times to play Halo 2 and, as any knows who has an xbox, you can't save the huge Halo Game Save to a memory card, so you end wasting time creating your character again, trying to remember what your look-sensitivity and camera settings are.

This profile would end all that trouble, so you could get in the game quick, although isn't there only one card slot??

Back