victim of wii's small memory

I'm one who really likes the idea of not having a hard-drive. Seems like, years from now, I'll still be able to play my Wii with the old VC games when the PS3s and XBox 360s have hit the trash can because of the failed drives and all the protection so that you can only use their drives (I know -there are hacks around it but it seems like an unnecessary stupid pain).

That being said, I wonder if the reason of that it's like the way it is is because of simplicity and speed.

If you let people load straight from the SD cards then you've got this long loading time everytime someone wants to play a game. If you let them balance the games the user most frequently plays being readily available against all (most, I suppose if you let them have some in memory and some on SD) of the games being slow loading, I bet it's just easier to have the most frequently played games being readily available.

I also bet, navigation-wise, that it's simpler to have the 4 screens of 12 channels (I think that's right) rather than a huge-grid of available games.

It may be easiest/most practical to just have it the way it is. Even though we all say we'd like it a different way (and I'm one of those), we probably wouldn't play more than a handful of games at any one time.

It does make me wonder what'll happen as my SD card fills up. Is there a way to organize the SD card? So far I've been saving off games in the order I have been downloading them and it's reflected in the way the games are presented on the SD card. It'd be nice to be able to organize them alphabetically or some other way so that, later on as the numbers build, I don't have to go through and search for something.

One big gripe from me: I really hate the alternating NES/SNES/N64/Genesis/TG16 logos with the picture of the main page of the game. I'd really like it to *just* be the picture of the game. Alternating back and forth is just distracting and (temporarily, of course) hides what the game is. Sure, you can hold the pointer over the VC and it'll popup what it is but I can see the opening of the game (Sonic, for example) and in my mind know, "Oh, that's Sonic - for the Genesis." It'd be nice if there was a setting somewhere to turn the logo-flipping off.

As for one other poster stating that they can't save off the saved games - I believe in the data-manager section of the Wii you can save off the VC-virtual memory for a game onto your SD card. I haven't tried it but it sure looked like you could do it to me.

Brad Bishop said:
If you let people load straight from the SD cards then you've got this long loading time everytime someone wants to play a game.
The virtual console games are SMALL. The largest SNES game is 6MB, the largest Genesis game is 4MB. High speed SD cards (which are the norm) run at near 10megabyte per second so loading the biggest game would take 2.5 seconds? According to the specifications on high end cards they can read at over 20MB per second.

If NEO GEO support does come then I still don't see a problem. Most games are under 40MB. There are later games that could be upto 90MB but they didn't need to load the entire cartridge at once.

Try copying a game (try for each system) from the SD card to the main memory. That'll give you a feeling of how long it'll take to load if they did it.

I think most would complain about it if it were how the system worked.

It'd be nice to have the option, though.

By providing such a small hard disk all they are doing is stopping potential buyers, reducing downloads. Making a much bigger hard drive would kill two birds with one stone

cookiemonsta11111 said:
By providing such a small hard disk all they are doing is stopping potential buyers, reducing downloads. Making a much bigger hard drive would kill two birds with one stone

There's no hard drive in the Wii at all, it's 512MB of built-in flash memory.

LISTEN UP!

Why not make an external hard drive for the wii? Something like a flash drive (thumb drive) but have it blend in with the back of the Wii (it would plug in through USB). Sell them in increments as follows (suggested prices as well)

-1 GB, $30
-2 GB, $50
-5 GB, $100
-10 GB, $150

They would make a lot of money off this and it would make everyone happy...both those that don't need it and those that do. Most important of all though is the design. Make it blend in with the Wii console like Xbox makes their hard drives blend it as part of the console. I'm not suggesting this is copying Xbox, but it would make a heckuva lot of sense.

EDIT: look here.
wii_rear.jpg

Use the usb slot on the left and make the drive sideways "U" shaped.

Last edited:
Brad Bishop said:
Try copying a game (try for each system) from the SD card to the main memory. That'll give you a feeling of how long it'll take to load if they did it.
No it doesn't. Copying the file a file to the internal flash takes it in small chunks, verifies the data and grabs another chunk.

Spyro said:
LISTEN UP!
No you listen up. The Wii already has an SD card slot and many of us bought an SD card for it. Why do you insist that Nintendo charges us more money for something that the SD card should already do? You annoy me greatly.

It really sucks that I cant save my game progress on the SD card like on every other game system. I hate having to manually copy the files back and forth when I want to play at a friends house.

It sucks that I cant save my game progress on the SD card like every other game system. I hate that I have to manually copy files back and forth to the SD card and be careful not to delete the wrong file every single time when I want to play at a friends house.

That's what they said at E3.

I still think a REAL hard drive is in order for the coming online game-wave. It'd be a good way to download demo's.

Spyro said:
I still think a REAL hard drive is in order for the coming online game-wave. It'd be a good way to download demo's.
Consider the speed of the average internet connection and the type of games on the Wii and tell me how big you'd expect the demos to be.

I don't know much about Wii games, but Xbox 360 demo's are about 600 MB. I don't see why a 10 GB hard drive would be such a bad thing.

Back