victim of wii's small memory

I wish I worked at Nintendo, so I could tell them to use SD cards. At E3 Nintendo addressed those angry fan boys who doubted them. They need to ignore them and start paying attention to the Wii owners. They aren't addressing the smaller issues of the Wii, low amounts of VC ports per week, SD cards limited functionality, lack of a Wii Chat channel, and lack of a Wii Keyboard. These are all fixable, and these will affect their sales by millions if not billions of dollars if the remain ignored.

+1 sagema

Wii Chat would be great, and even better if they sold a bluetooth headset for the Wii (hopefully not too expensive).

Spyro said:
LISTEN UP!

Why not make an external hard drive for the wii? Something like a flash drive (thumb drive) but have it blend in with the back of the Wii (it would plug in through USB). Sell them in increments as follows (suggested prices as well)

-1 GB, $30
-2 GB, $50
-5 GB, $100
-10 GB, $150

Um for the price of your 10GB drive I could buy a 500GB drive. NO way would people pay such ludicrous prices.

Spyro said:
+1 sagema

Wii Chat would be great, and even better if they sold a bluetooth headset for the Wii (hopefully not too expensive).

Theoretically they could enable the use of any standard bluetooth headset.

I have to join the crowd and agree. They should have released it with a gig of flash memory at least and then planned for some external storage products for users...playing directly from an SD card or some other external storage device would have been great. XBOX live is awesome and I love it, but it doesn't have an internet browser. The Wii's browser and other features are awesome, but I'd love to have the best of both worlds between WiiConnect and XBOX live. I think in hindsight, they should have released the Wii as is (with more onboard flash mem) to keep it in the price point they wanted, but planned/designed the system for more flexible expansion.
Love the Wii, but for an online console, XBOX blows it away. An add on for Wii that would allow you to download all sorts of multimedia and have it accessible would have been awesome.

Sorry about my pricing theory. You were right morika, Xbox sells 20 GB hd's for $100...so why should Wii be anymore expensive? Anyway, price aside, it's still a good idea.

In order to make games playable off an SD card, they would have to link the card to the Wii in question...this makes the SD unusable elsewhere. Whereas if the Wii had an external USB hard drive, they could link the Wii to it and no other Wii could use it. If the owner of the drive wanted to sell it or get a new Wii, he or she would have to clear it before it was un-linked from the Wii. Eh?

Spyro said:
In order to make games playable off an SD card, they would have to link the card to the Wii in question...this makes the SD unusable elsewhere.
No. The games are already linked to the console. You can copy them to the SD card then place them on another Wii and they won't play but if you copy it back to the original Wii they will. That is how people get around the 512mb limit.

Surely it would just be a firmware update to allow users to load games straight from the SD card - it would make things a hell of alot easier. A HDD wouldn't be a bad idea, but they'd have to use a micro HDD, otherwise it wouldn't really fit in with the whole Wii look. A micro drive could sit on the back of the unit, whilst connected to a USB port.

It would basically allow an unlimited amount of space for the avid VC gamer, and it gives rise to new possiblities including demos, and make the internet channel a whole lot better (downloading movies etc.).

I wish these console makers (sony, N, MS) would have just utilized STANDARD USB drives. This crap of needing special drives is total BS and like being mugged walking down the street. There's no sense for MS making their 360 drives the way they do. Least of all them, it is a PC after all.

Anyways. I don't think a HDD is as much as a good idea as making better use of the SD slot. It would take a simple firmware update to allow stuff to run off SD cards. They would be just as secure. With 2GB cards running about $14us, they're easier to deal with than worrying about power requirements for a HDD, what it'll look like or how much to rake customers over the coals for it.

i have about 9 games i think but i have the internet chanel and that take 256blocks i think

Back