Virtual Console idea?

Gamecube games wont fit on the wii hard drive. This might be another reason we need a bigger internal hard drive yo.

Perhaps they can incorporte something online where you download the file (using your wii serial number or something), burn it to a dvd and pop in into your wii. This is of course ignoring huge download times.

sarspants said:
Perhaps they can incorporte something online where you download the file (using your wii serial number or something), burn it to a dvd and pop in into your wii. This is of course ignoring huge download times.
It also ignores the fact that Nintendo has shown no interest in letting the Wii play/read DVDs. Technically, it should be possible... and probably amounts to nothing more than a firmware update, but I'd think if they were going to do it, they would've released the Wii with DVD playing ability enabled to begin with.

sremick said:
It also ignores the fact that Nintendo has shown no interest in letting the Wii play/read DVDs. Technically, it should be possible... and probably amounts to nothing more than a firmware update, but I'd think if they were going to do it, they would've released the Wii with DVD playing ability enabled to begin with.

Actually, the Wii does in fact read DVDs. According to IGN, Smash Bros. Brawl was not working in some Wii consoles in Japan because of dirt buildup inside the Wii. Apparently, Smash Bros. comes on a dual layer DVD, which is more sensitive to a dirty lens.

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/849/849072p1.html

sarspants said:
Actually, the Wii does in fact read DVDs. According to IGN, Smash Bros. Brawl was not working in some Wii consoles in Japan because of dirt buildup inside the Wii. Apparently, Smash Bros. comes on a dual layer DVD, which is more sensitive to a dirty lens.
I'm suspicious of the wording. The Wii disc is "DVD-based" so they might be throwing "DVD" around here loosely just referring to the fact that the Wii disc is dual-layer. It's not the first time I've heard to people refer to it as a "DVD" versus "Wii optical disc" or such.

"the Wii Optical Disc is a 8.5GB, 12cm DVD based technology. It was chosen by Nintendo to prevent copyright infringement of its games, to avoid licensing fees to the DVD Forum and to reduce loading times." from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_optical_discs

well i know that they aren't going to have gamecube games on the vc but if they did it would read off of the sd memory card

Sterculius said:
wii was built gamecube backward compatible for a reason, so you dont have to do exactly that.

but what they DO need to add to the VC is gameboy, gameboy color, gamegear, wonderswan and other handheld consoles of yore, and they can be downloaded to the ds. This is where that rumored new DS model would come in handy, the one that is rumored to be removing the gba slot in favor of internal memory storage. If that is indeed what they're working on, then they need to hurry it up!

If that were the case the memory would probably be a big GBA size MC they could cram up to 32 gigs in that i bet... they would make it an add on to the current system or wait for the next generation completely they already got grief for making DSlite... Nintendo wouldn't turn its backs on a huge current audience to come out with the same thing with perks... same reason why they wont come out with a HD dvd playing hard drive storing Wii in the next couple years you make too many people mad and end up loosing buisness.. eiather it will add on or it will be later on. Nintendo has been around long enough to know better than to fulfill wishfull dreams

Last edited:
matthewj said:
well i know that they aren't going to have gamecube games on the vc but if they did it would read off of the sd memory card

I think they should go this route aswell that or an external HD add on "which im my mind they dont need"
Everyone uses SD cards for one thing or another music/photos/video and the 32gig's are gonna be pretty common place here in 2008. No one would object to investing in more of things that they currently use anyways.

I think they probably already know how to link the SD slot to the 512mb of memeory currently on the Wii, the only issue is they are probably trying ot make it "hack" proof... Somehow make a format no one has access to beyond developers, otherwise people will use stolen and homemade roms and just toss them on the SD card...

Nintendo has always put piracy as number 1 on there list and they are usually the hardest to crack because of this. I could care less about GC games they are so cheep now you can pick them up in the used bins probably cheeper than you would ever be able to download them...

As for more to the VC itself

I'd like to see some more oldschool favorites... Atari,commodore,odyssey,fairchild VES.... the really old school ones.
Also a few of the unique ones like 3D0,Dreamcast,Jaguar. Some of the good but less seen consoles that had very unique and cool games alot of people never saw..

These are all possibal because most of them are no longer in gaming besides as maybe developers/publishers and the rights will be easy to obtaine.

Last edited:
wezeles said:
Nintendo wouldn't turn its backs on a huge current audience to come out with the same thing with perks...

I doubt they'd consider it turning their backs on the audience, but rather giving them more of what they want. Same reason they released the gameboy, then gameboy pocket, then gameboy color, then gameboy advance, then gameboy SP, then gameboy sp with lighter screen, then gameboy micro, then the DS, then the DS light....the cycle will continue.

It's a standard throughout the electronics biz, ESPECIALLY with the ipod. And then there's sony with their PS1, PSone, PS2, PS2 slim, PSP, PSP 2000/SLIM...what ever it is, I know I'll be there to get it along with the millions of others.

Sterculius said:
I doubt they'd consider it turning their backs on the audience, but rather giving them more of what they want. Same reason they released the gameboy, then gameboy pocket, then gameboy color, then gameboy advance, then gameboy SP, then gameboy sp with lighter screen, then gameboy micro, then the DS, then the DS light....the cycle will continue.

It's a standard throughout the electronics biz, ESPECIALLY with the ipod. And then there's sony with their PS1, PSone, PS2, PS2 slim, PSP, PSP 2000/SLIM...what ever it is, I know I'll be there to get it along with the millions of others.

Im saying they wouldn't just up and make a new DS right now that had built in memory instead of GBA slot.

Hanhelds have life cycles much like consoles. They have to much invested to change it that quick specially with current sales numbers being so high.

The most they would do is make a GBA cartridge and make it into a big memory card. That way everyone with a current DS could buy it and then buy things online to download as well.

Or they would wait it out till about 2010-2011 when the handheld is due for a new gen, what your mentioning is cycle life is eaither a whole new system GB to GBC thats a new handheld not an update, GBA to DS another new handheld.

They are about halfway through this handhelds life cycle, we have yet to see its possabilities even really tapped they will focus on alot of online in the near future they have said and maybe a memory increase who knows the same is exactly possibal for the Wii but they arnt going to in mid life cycle make a whole new system, just an update at best.

You will notice whenever Nintendo does do an upgrade i.e. Advance to SP or Ds to DS lite for the most part its more cosmetic than anything, it doesn't effect the market by singling out current users, its just an update that looks nice and new but still acts much the same way as the first version. It plays the same games has the same capabilities for the most part just smaller, different colors, maybe one or two tweaks but nothing that effectivly will split that specific generations game sales down the middle by offering something on one and not the other... do you know how much money they would loose on downloadable content with current DS owners that didnt buy an upgrade? enough to not make it worth doing in the first place... lol

You would end up having to make 2 of everything, that would just be a bad buisness decision, something you wont see Nintendo do very often. They will adapt it to work or they will wait for when they are ready to start a new gen all together.

Last edited:
Back