Wii continues to dominate

This Wiik

WiiChat Member
Apr 12, 2007
...and with games like Galaxy in the near future it can only get better for Nintendo.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/807/807852p1.html

Nintendo Sales Update
Wii sells nearly 10 million units around the world. Nintendo planning a hardware shipment boost.
by Matt Casamassina
July 25, 2007 - Nintendo on Wednesday announced first-quarter (the period between April and June 2007) financial results, and updated its forecasts for the coming year. The latest data reaffirms what everybody already knows, which is that the DS and Wii are both epic success stories.

The Big N revealed that cumulative Wii hardware sales now stand at 9.27 million worldwide (3.81 million being sold in the Americas alone). Meanwhile, cumulative DS sales are at a whopping 47.27 million (with 14.14 million sold in the Americas).

Nintendo had previously forecasted Wii hardware shipments of 14 million for the year, but it has since revised that number to 16.5 million, effectively upping shipments by 2.5 million units. In laymen's terms, this means that the firm expects to sell another 12.3 million Wii systems around the world between now and March of next year, increasing the total Wii worldwide installed base to 22 million.

Microsoft said this week that it sold 11.6 million Xbox 360 systems worldwide through June, which would put it a little more than two million systems ahead of Wii. It should be noted that in June, Wii outside Xbox 360 by nearly 200,000 units, and it has, in fact, outsold Microsoft's system every month this year. Given that Microsoft has no foothold in Japan, where Wii continues to dominate, Nintendo's console could and very likely will become market leader before the end of the year, if not sooner.

Nintendo has upped DS hardware shipments from 22 million to 26 million, boosting numbers by four million units for the year.

The company has increased its projections for Wii and DS software sales, too. Wii has jumped from 55 million to 72 million and DS from 130 million to 140 million.

Finally, Nintendo provided worldwide software sales numbers for key Wii and DS titles. Approximately seven Wii and 32 DS games have topped the million mark around the globe. First-party results here:

Wii:

Wii Sports - 8.32m (includes those bundled in with hardware)
Wii Play - 4.49m
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 3.61m
WarioWare Smooth Moves - 1.82m
Super Paper Mario - 1.25m
Mario Party 8 - 1.03m
DS:

Nintendogs - 14.79m
New Super Mario Bros. - 10.52m
Pokemon Diamond&Pearl - 8.76m
Brain Age - 8.61m
Animal Crossing - 8.01m
Mario Kart DS - 7.83m
Brain Age 2 - 5.33m
Super Mario 64 DS - 4.97m
Big Brain Academy - 3.73m
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - 3.08
English Training - 2.86m
Yoshi's Island DS - 2.47m
Pokemon Ranger - 2.16m
WarioWare Touched - 2.15m
Tetris DS - 2.05m
Kirby - 1.73m
Common Sense Training - 1.53m
Mario Basketball 3on3 - 1.50m
Mario&Luigi RPG2 - 1.39m
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 - 1.24m
Super Princess Peach - 1.15m
Diddy Kong Racing DS - 1.04m

Solid. Now if only the wii could dodge this "preteen" audience it has seemed to acquire.

And terms of market value (number of stock shares * price per share), Nintendo is now the 5th largest company in Japan. Having already passed up Sony and now Honda as well.

Paper Mario isn't selling like I thought it would. And RE4 isn't up there but still good info.

So big deal, the games are aimed at 10 year olds and less, it will die as the non-hardcore gamers will stop buying games for it as they will lose intrest.

---Brian--- said:
So big deal, the games are aimed at 10 year olds and less, it will die as the non-hardcore gamers will stop buying games for it as they will lose intrest.

Wii Sports - Aimed at all ages
Wii Play - Aimed at all ages
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Aimed at the "hardcore" gamer
WarioWare Smooth Moves - Aimed at all ages, a party game if you will
Super Paper Mario - Aimed at a wide audience with what I would consider a medium difficulty level; a ten year old will more than likely not be able to come close to beating this game.
Mario Party 8 - Ok, yes. Aimed at kids.

ill add to that,

metroid prime 3, aimed ad medium to hardcore gamers.
Resident evil, aimed mostly at hardcore gamer.
medal of honour heroes 2, aimed at hardore gamers
medal of honour vanguard, aimed at hardcore gamers.
alone in the dark 5 , hardcore.
sadness, older / hardcore
wii fitness everyone
mario kart wii, all but suitible for hardcore
same with smash bros brawl

i know most of these arnt out yet but so they are coming and there is a hell of a lot more

Awesome news, and yes Galaxy and other games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl will help more with sales for sure.

As for all this Wii is kiddy garbage, we have heard it so much, honestly I do not see how it is just kiddy as it clearly appeals to many other ages as well. Gamecube was kiddy, Wii not so much.

first of all super smash bros is pretty much a kids game but it doesent mean its fun mario kart aiming more at the kids

Yeah Nintendo is onto a winner and frankly they deserve it

With the wii they have created a innovative inexpensive fun console. I'm 22 years old and I have had my mates shove the PS3 and Xbox 360 in my face with there comments like man look at Gears of War look at the graphics of Resistance

And i'm ok these consoles have the graphics and finishing touches but the games for some reason do not keep me entertained for no more than 5 minutes.

Is it just me or is the state of the games industry in general becoming just boring? designers are pumping out the same concepts all the time it's like yeah let's create a FPS spruce up the graphics from last years release and add a new gun or two.

What the hell happened to innovation?

With the Wii for some reason I just get absorbed into the gameplay the interaction aspect between the wii remote adds a new depth to games and the great thing about it is that with this technology new experiences will be opened.

Sure you got your GTA4'S your Tekkens and your Halos

But being more than your average graphics whore I actually like a game which is innovative and has substance I don't wanna play the same old **** with better graphics lol

The best are games are those which can be enjoyed by anyone !

10 Million sales worldwide that is excellent news if Nintendo carries on at this rate they could overtake Xbox 360's sales by christmas lol

With titles such as Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Metroid , No More Heroes, Wii Fitness ( this will sell loads! )

:)

good job nintendo, but why do we care?

frankly the wii could tank, we'd still be getting the only good games, the ones from nintendo.

2slick said:
good job nintendo, but why do we care?

frankly the wii could tank, we'd still be getting the only good games, the ones from nintendo.

I just hope it leads to stronger third party support.

More exclusives, less ports, and more money/time/thought put into making a quality product from other software developers.

Back