Wii Doing Well, Why Microsoft Should Buy Sony

I realize this is just fantasy speculation, but the business case for this pretty much doesn't exist. If you wanted to take life, just foward that to the accounting department over in Redmond, and they'll laugh themselves to death. :) With a $1B deficit from a charge-back against 360 failures, the last thing MS wants is anything to do with Sony's hemmorging hardware entertainment division and to dilute themselves with a CE company.

Conceptually, I groove on a few things the author is suggesting though.

WiitnessID said:
Ms does not need SONY unless they will use it as a trojan horse in japan. Yet that would easily back fire since every thing is so transparent in this industry. I mean really the xbox 360 is better hardware than the PS3 even if it does break a lot...LOL Hey but as of right now they are only hurting each other. They are going in the same direction yet choose not to unify against nintendo. The Cell could have easily been 4 cores and designed more for gaming. I mean IBM basically made the chip they also made the 360's cpu. If the HD boxes had a unified CPU or standard for the CPU and architecture then things would work a lot better. So far I only see these two boxes hurting each other. I mean when you put the PS3 and xbox 360 sales together you have a winning platform. Yet they are going in two different directions.

I mean look at the Wii and the DS they are totally helping each other. This is not the case for any other two systems. If you have a xbox and 360 then you just bought a really nice PC.

Hey nice read though... I saw this over at some other site and though OK. That what the PC is right now. Oh well.....

I don't really see how they could be hurting each other, thats absurd thinking o_O

Just wait until PS3 sells more, right now its selling bad because its price. Blu-ray is still pretty new so the technology is still expensive. Once it becomes more of the norm, the price will drop more and people will buy it.

360, are still selling out despite what people may say. I just went into a gamestop right next to a Wal-mart where 2 guys were trying to buy a 360. The guy said it was sold out and Wal-mart didn't have any either. They started calling other GS stores and they also didn't have it.

Wii and DS "help" each other because its both Nintendo. Have you forgotten PSP? Despite DS selling so many millions, PSP is still doing decent. Obviously its not doing that great compared to DS, but this is Sony's first real portable system (that I know of) and its still doing pretty decent.

Also saying Xbox 360 is just a nice PC, obviously a cheaper PC that doesn't have as much features... But why is that a bad thing? Hell, Gamecube was just a cheap PC that couldnt play DVDs, Music, Photos, Videos, or even Online. Wii comes out with motion controls and suddenly having DVD playability, music, photos, videos, downloads, great online, etc. is nothing more than a "cheap PC" Is that not a good thing? The way things are going, in the future im not gonna have to buy another PC and just buy an Xbox instead and ill be set.

stupid article. i stopped after i read the thread title. its impossible for microsoft to buy sony, its not even an option or something that should be thought of.

Sovieto said:
stupid article. i stopped after i read the thread title. its impossible for microsoft to buy sony, its not even an option or something that should be thought of.
:lol: *hugs you* I love you man. This is a pretty stupid article, interesting perspective one could say but they're both giants and it wouldn't much benefit anyone.

I love how the first line on the second paragraph practically creates irrelevancies towards the whole article (or at least the title). Might I also add, this article has horrible grammar.

Last edited:
WiitnessID said:
Ms does not need SONY unless they will use it as a trojan horse in japan. Yet that would easily back fire since every thing is so transparent in this industry. I mean really the xbox 360 is better hardware than the PS3 even if it does break a lot...LOL Hey but as of right now they are only hurting each other. They are going in the same direction yet choose not to unify against nintendo. The Cell could have easily been 4 cores and designed more for gaming. I mean IBM basically made the chip they also made the 360's cpu. If the HD boxes had a unified CPU or standard for the CPU and architecture then things would work a lot better. So far I only see these two boxes hurting each other. I mean when you put the PS3 and xbox 360 sales together you have a winning platform. Yet they are going in two different directions.

I mean look at the Wii and the DS they are totally helping each other. This is not the case for any other two systems. If you have a xbox and 360 then you just bought a really nice PC.

Hey nice read though... I saw this over at some other site and though OK. That what the PC is right now. Oh well.....
1. The XB Hardware is not better than the PS Hardware.
2. Of course they're working against each other, thats what competition is.
3. Even if they did combine, you can't just add their sales numbers together and say 'this is how much their combined console would have sold'.
4. The Wii and DS are made by the same COMPANY.
5. The PS3 and PSP are working together...

T3kNi9e said:
I don't really see how they could be hurting each other, thats absurd thinking o_O

Just wait until PS3 sells more, right now its selling bad because its price. Blu-ray is still pretty new so the technology is still expensive. Once it becomes more of the norm, the price will drop more and people will buy it.

360, are still selling out despite what people may say. I just went into a gamestop right next to a Wal-mart where 2 guys were trying to buy a 360. The guy said it was sold out and Wal-mart didn't have any either. They started calling other GS stores and they also didn't have it.

Wii and DS "help" each other because its both Nintendo. Have you forgotten PSP? Despite DS selling so many millions, PSP is still doing decent. Obviously its not doing that great compared to DS, but this is Sony's first real portable system (that I know of) and its still doing pretty decent.

Also saying Xbox 360 is just a nice PC, obviously a cheaper PC that doesn't have as much features... But why is that a bad thing? Hell, Gamecube was just a cheap PC that couldnt play DVDs, Music, Photos, Videos, or even Online. Wii comes out with motion controls and suddenly having DVD playability, music, photos, videos, downloads, great online, etc. is nothing more than a "cheap PC" Is that not a good thing? The way things are going, in the future im not gonna have to buy another PC and just buy an Xbox instead and ill be set.

No one said the xbox was a nice PC. It's getting a steady stream of PC like titles. The reason why I say this is because consoles won that war already. Maybe it's just me but thats why you have so many people that really want a PS3. It's seen as a console that still has a console feel to it. Basically it has the games from a console. And yes the xbox and the PS3 are hurting each other. People will be choosing which game they get for which console and I'm sure plenty of xbox fanboys will pass up metal gear and FF just because it's not on the xbox. These two boxes are in direct competition with each other which puts the two markets against each other.

Like some one said before people will own a PS3 and a Wii or a xbox and a Wii or even a PC and a Wii which is where I fall. Just look at PC game sales they WHERE hurt by the HD console sales. Another reason why they are hurting each other because of price. Not too many gamers will own both HD consoles.

Hey but thats just how I see it. Every one claims that they don't see nintendo as competition with the HD consoles yet that is also the perfect storm that kept the game boys and handhelds afloat. They where never seen as the top and we all know that the fan boy fighting is the worst at the top. More cheating types roam those areas...LOL These same people claim that nintendo is lower too them...LOL which is cool yet you seem to think that this is some sort of back handed way of putting them down... well some people do....

I'm just stating what I see. I have lots of gamer friends and I find this interesting also. It's a good topic to talk about.

Why do you think MS needs SONY? Really just because they are bought out do you really believe MS can buy japan's support? I mean really this is japan here...LOL Do you even know what SONY is paying nvidia for those chips? Does MS really want to deal with nvidia after what happened with the old xbox? Hey who knows? Any thing can happen and if the PS3 does not sell well they could tray and sell off the PS brand and still license out the blueray tech to the buyers which would actually be a good move for sony.

Nintendo isn't really in it to win it, either..

Here's an example, say the 3 companies were babies.. and they were put in a room together, here's how the scenario would go.

--------
Sony: "Ooo.. 1080p..."
Microsoft: "Aghh!! Another Xbox BROKE!?!? MOMMYY!!!!!"
Nintendo is sitting in the corner playing Wii: "Ladeedaadeedaadeeda..."

LevesqueIsKing said:
1. The XB Hardware is not better than the PS Hardware.
Tell me why? Or is this a gut feeling lets see what you know since you are so sure.
2. Of course they're working against each other, thats what competition is.
Competition is good but being too much like your competitor is bad. These are not copiers. A tie between these two doesn't matter if the Wii wins.
3. Even if they did combine, you can't just add their sales numbers together and say 'this is how much their combined console would have sold'.
And There is no way this would work out any way and I state various reasons??? Like I said they could buy the brand but that may not work it is pointless to buy the tech. I a way they could combine the two system counts together, if you think MS would not help design a complier to actually help port games over to the PS3 or either just find a way to get PS3 games running on a xbox then you really are underestimating MS. PS3 games do not need xbox live that extra CPUs would just be setting there.

4. The Wii and DS are made by the same COMPANY. Perfect example and I though every one knew that? Same ideas yet executed in a way that makes you want to own both... thus they do not hurt each other as they are vastly different yet share the same idea. That is not the case with the xbox 360 and the PS3 they are trying to just be HD systems period. The only advantage is in the minds of fanboys. So think about it if one of these companys went down would you still be hurting for HD games... nope... The developers would just move over to the other system.
5. The PS3 and PSP are working together... At what, being last? Sorry but I had to say it. They both had the same idea and thats adding more power. I mean really they are the same product almost except one is a console and one is a handheld and has less power. Yes they play different games but those games are even sequels to console games. I'm sure you will not understand that either so I'll break it down. What does the PS3 bring to gaming and what does the PSP bring to gaming as consoles? If MS did have a handheld what would they bring to gaming... arguably the same thing along with live online play. Do you see how closely the two systems mirror each other? This is from a hardware stand point leave you fanatics at the door. I mean really it's like saying Voo doo makes a better gaming PC than dell...LOL Hell if these console where an open standard like PC I could build a better PS3...LOL DVD player swap with a ton of ram and a nice size hard drive. Then the PS3 can say it's better.

Splitting the customer base for your product is not always good as you will now have to compete or try to be what the other company is. That is not a good practice. Sega knew they could not out do nintendo at being nintendo so they tried to be different. If the customer thinks you are basically equal tech wise then they start to ask then why do I need the other box? Thats good if you are trying to make a standard but I don't think thats what they are trying to do.

I say this because so many times I see people wondering if they will get an xbox or a PS3. Gamers are not rich even though they wish they could get certain things. They may buy a lot of stuff yet most of the time if you can afford lots of this stuff you have no time to play it.

Hey it's cool talking with you.

a30993 said:
Nintendo isn't really in it to win it, either..

Here's an example, say the 3 companies were babies.. and they were put in a room together, here's how the scenario would go.
."

You can believe that if you want. I'm sure they will speak of market share in the quarter reports. That means they must take sales from other consoles or either co exist thus always coming out ahead.

I mean winning the powerful hardware vote does not matter to them as much as they where handed their tale by the PS2 and 1. The PS3 guys think the PS3 is going to make a come back and maybe so.

I'll use your baby thing... The other two babies grow up as gang leaders while the other ones start up the next walmart. I mean the leader are cool and exciting yet the walmart guys is just plain scary as he now has way too much power. Thats an extreme and I think the new president of nintendo knows he needs others.

WiitnessID said:
No one said the xbox was a nice PC. It's getting a steady stream of PC like titles. The reason why I say this is because consoles won that war already. Maybe it's just me but thats why you have so many people that really want a PS3. It's seen as a console that still has a console feel to it. Basically it has the games from a console. And yes the xbox and the PS3 are hurting each other. People will be choosing which game they get for which console and I'm sure plenty of xbox fanboys will pass up metal gear and FF just because it's not on the xbox. These two boxes are in direct competition with each other which puts the two markets against each other.

Like some one said before people will own a PS3 and a Wii or a xbox and a Wii or even a PC and a Wii which is where I fall. Just look at PC game sales they WHERE hurt by the HD console sales. Another reason why they are hurting each other because of price. Not too many gamers will own both HD consoles.

Hey but thats just how I see it. Every one claims that they don't see nintendo as competition with the HD consoles yet that is also the perfect storm that kept the game boys and handhelds afloat. They where never seen as the top and we all know that the fan boy fighting is the worst at the top. More cheating types roam those areas...LOL These same people claim that nintendo is lower too them...LOL which is cool yet you seem to think that this is some sort of back handed way of putting them down... well some people do....

I'm just stating what I see. I have lots of gamer friends and I find this interesting also. It's a good topic to talk about.

Why do you think MS needs SONY? Really just because they are bought out do you really believe MS can buy japan's support? I mean really this is japan here...LOL Do you even know what SONY is paying nvidia for those chips? Does MS really want to deal with nvidia after what happened with the old xbox? Hey who knows? Any thing can happen and if the PS3 does not sell well they could tray and sell off the PS brand and still license out the blueray tech to the buyers which would actually be a good move for sony.

WiitnessID said:
If you have a xbox and 360 then you just bought a really nice PC.

Everything else in the first paragraph I couldnt really make sense of it. How does PS3 have a "console" feel over a 360?

You also said something about Xbox fanboys passing up MGS and FF because its not a Xbox game? Thats just like a Wii fanboy or a Sony Fanboy not buying another console. If a Xbox fanboy doesnt have a PS3 then they have no choice but to pass it up because its not gonna be on 360, same with Zelda or Mario.

The only reason why I don't see Wii in direct competition is because its got completely different games, style of play, and price. Alot of people who buy a 360 or PS3 buy a Wii also because its really cheap.

ok if they join forces here are the names

name of company
Micro-sony

name of console

X-station-box 450

T3kNi9e said:
Everything else in the first paragraph I couldnt really make sense of it. How does PS3 have a "console" feel over a 360?

You also said something about Xbox fanboys passing up MGS and FF because its not a Xbox game? Thats just like a Wii fanboy or a Sony Fanboy not buying another console. If a Xbox fanboy doesnt have a PS3 then they have no choice but to pass it up because its not gonna be on 360, same with Zelda or Mario.

The only reason why I don't see Wii in direct competition is because its got completely different games, style of play, and price. Alot of people who buy a 360 or PS3 buy a Wii also because its really cheap.

Just look, most of the xbox's games are on the PC. They are shooters FPS, racing sims, and a good amount of these games are on the PC. Thats a compliment and a bad thing. You see their has always been a PC gamer and a console gamer. As a console gamer first I witnessed PC gamers turning their nose up to mario 3 and super contra. The more arcade like games. Yes some game are not on the PC but really I don't think those games are doing all that well except guitar hero. Most of the big draws to that system are basically PC games.

The PS3 seems to have the support of the console developers more. If you are wondering why people don't like the xbox 360 it has a lot to do with it not really playing like a console. The xbox 360 is it's own thing. It did not take side scrollers, platforming, 2d shooter and make huge online games out of them. It took some thing that was cool on PC and did that. Maybe that will change but I'm not sure as the image of the xbox brand is programmed in many gamers minds right now.

Really the xbox guys will pass up metal gear. It's a threat and the only reason they want it is because they know it's big. Most xbox player will not be playing FF this round either. Hey but that doesn't mean that there isn't tons of people waiting on FF to release to get excited about the PS3. If some one has both systems they may get metal gear but I don't think many FPS fans will be buying it. Even with the online version coming out. Kojima has too much conpetition in the FPS platform.

Man is it early! Oyeah about the Wii being cheap yeah maybe but the PSP is cheap too shouldn't it be sold out? These are just things that I'm seeing. I'm sure there are more perspectives... and if you are reading this then post them!

Back