WII newbe with questions

jdavis

WiiChat Member
Dec 8, 2007
The kids (9, 10 and 42:lol:) are getting a WII console for Christmas from the grandparents. What comes in the standard $250 box and what other accessories should we buy? As far as games, we already picked up Mario Galaxy, Spiderman and Spongebob. I've heard good things about the Mario Galaxy but nothing about the other two. Are they worth keeping or should I exchange for others?

jdavis said:
The kids (9, 10 and 42:lol:) are getting a WII console for Christmas from the grandparents. What comes in the standard $250 box and what other accessories should we buy? As far as games, we already picked up Mario Galaxy, Spiderman and Spongebob. I've heard good things about the Mario Galaxy but nothing about the other two. Are they worth keeping or should I exchange for others?

Well, within the standard package you will get:
1 Wii Console
1 A/V Cable
1 Sensor Bar
1 AC Adapter
1 Nunchuck
1 Wii Remote (comes with 2 AA batteries)
and a game copy of Wii Sports

As it seems that you are getting the console for more than one person I would recommend picking up 3 extra Nunchuck and Wii Remote controllers. If you are planning to access the Wii Shop Channel (Internet access required), I would also recommend either a Classic Controller or (If you do not already have) a Gamecube controller. These are used to play the virtual console games that you purchase via the Wii Shop Channel. Unless it is just a NES game then all you would need is the Wii Remote. As for games go, you already have a great game for all 3 people, Super Mario Galaxy.

As for Spiderman and Spongebob, I have not played those titles so I cannot give you any advice on those. Spongebob does sound like it will win over the kids. For the nine and ten year old I would recommend games like:

Mario & Sonic at the Olympics
Super Paper Mario
Nights: Journey of Dreams
Wii Play
Mario Strikers Charged

As for the forty-two year old I would recommend some games like:

Metal of Honor Heroes 2
Guitar Hero 3
Metriod Prime 3
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil Umbrella Chornicles

These are just recommendations and do not need to be taken seriously, everyone has their own taste within the gaming world. These are just some of the famous titles that are on the market.
Also, will this console be played a lot? If so, I highly recommend picking up some rechargeable batteries. Trust me you will need them.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess is also a must.

Your better off trading in those games for Super Paper Mario and Zelda I'd say.

3 more Wiimotes and nunchucks are not a bad idea either.

CantGetAWii said:

I second that wise comment.

at some point all 4 of you will want to play so 3 extra remotes is a first point of call if i were you.

also, if you can get a charging station for each of them too - batteries will become a PITA.

Games suggested by others above are great ideas - You can get Wii play when you buy one of the extra remotes. im sure all three kids (wink) and you are going to have ideas of what games you might like but Super Mario Galaxy is a must - even my girlfriend is hooked on it!

hang around and read these forums - you will learn a lot about what your Wii can do from these folks here!

Es

CantGetAWii said:

Oh yeah - I knew I forgot a game. Yeah - Legend of Zelda: TP is a must!

jdavis said:
Super Mario Strikers: Charged

Newbe here as well

So glad this question was posted. Ditto here. 2 kids, (10 and 8), husband and me, the wife! ;-) We have a home theater...big screen...so how cool will this be? :)

I bought the tiger Woods golf game. I want to get the High School Musical, and a Dance Revolution type game.

SO....Should I get the sports kit that has the golf club, tennis racket, etc?

Do I need to buy:
Wireless Sensor
Charge station
Cooling Station
Component Video cable
And blank on the name of the stand that you sit it in.

Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Those sports style remote holders are a waste of money in my opinion. They dont really do much

Wow, I am not the only parent looking for info. I also decided to get a Wii for the family for Christmas, two girls 6 and 3 with mom and dad. What else is recommended to purchase so that we can maximize our wii experience? Could somebody please explain how the "online" works, (ie, do you pay a monthly fee?). Cant wait till Santa comes.

Waht kind of racing games are avalable? ex. Saturday Night Speedway, NASCAR. And what kind of controllers are available for these type of games. So far I'm just had a PS2.

Okay, I'm convinced on purchasing the extra remotes with the nunchuks. But, what are the nunchuks used for?

We will have:

4 wii remotes one with Wii Play
4 nunchuks
2 docking stations
Super Mario Galaxy

I'm trading the Spiderman and Spongebob in for Super Mario Paper and ????

Does anyone know anything about Lego Star Wars? My kids love legos.

LoriK said:
So glad this question was posted. Ditto here. 2 kids, (10 and 8), husband and me, the wife! ;-) We have a home theater...big screen...so how cool will this be? :)

I bought the tiger Woods golf game. I want to get the High School Musical, and a Dance Revolution type game.

SO....Should I get the sports kit that has the golf club, tennis racket, etc?

Do I need to buy:
Wireless Sensor
Charge station
Cooling Station
Component Video cable
And blank on the name of the stand that you sit it in.

Any other words of wisdom?

Thanks!

The Sports Kit is not really necessary when playing the sports genre on the Wii. Sometimes they are a little more dangerous than the actual wii remote itself.
As for your questions on what to purchase:

The Wireless Sensor is a personal preference in my opinion. The sensor bar that comes with the console has a pretty long and thin cord.

The Charge Station is a must if you are going to be playing the Wii a lot.

The Component Cable only if your big screen can accept it.

The Cooling Station is not really required to get. The Wii does heat up, but not to the point where it is scorching hot. I have played my Wii for about 6 or more hours in a complete sitting (Mario Galaxy) and it was only a little warm.

Last edited:
The nunchuk is basically an analog joystick that plugs into the wii-remote with a cable. You hold it in your non-dominant hand. You need to play most games, (such as Mario Galaxy) because you usually use the analog stick to move your character around, while using the wii-remote to jump/attack/etc.

I would not recommend 4 nunchuks right away if all you are getting is Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, and Zelda. Even though those games require a nunchuk, all three of those are only one player at a time. Galaxy is two player, but the second (co-star player) only needs the wii-remote. Wii Sports only needs the nunchuk for boxing, and that is only a two player game. I would say since the Wii comes with 1 nunchuk, just get one additional nunchuk at first, and if you later decide to buy a game that is 4 players simultaneous, then get the extra nunchuks.

IF, you are getting some other games, just check to see whether they need 4 nunchuks before you buy them

Back