Wii Pay and Play : Clever Move By Nintendo?

Dkw0101 said:
yea but if it's good does not mean it has to be charged for, nintendo can make good online and still make the money for it from the extra money they rack up from selling games and the money they get from VC downloads.

I never said it has to be charged for if it's good, I said that it is reasonable
for online to be charged for it it's very good online. I never said it had to be.

if you people actually read the artical you would see that it has been stressed that not all games will use this new service.

also nintendo online is not bad. sure there are friendcodes, but atleast we still have random matches. you cant say the current online is bad because there is no voice chat. i guarantee that the wii will have voicechat.

the only thing that seperates the wii online and XBL is the modes online, downloadable content and friend codes. the first to will most likely change in nintendo's favour with this new service.

Nintendo is making the right move in my mind. Thing is, XBL has such rich and cool content because you pay for it. Your money goes towards building a better online community, PERIOD!! If you can play games for free online, what incentive do developers have to create new downloadable content if they will not get paid for it? It's like saying, why do they have to charge for VC games? Because it's not free for them. Try playing Madden 08 online via Wii then Madden 08 via XBL.... notice the HUGE difference? That's the difference between free and paying. We will not get headsets because headsets are not free to make. Why would they go through ALL of the hassle of creating voice chat games just so people can use it for free. It costs money to create better gaming plateau's for you gamers. You wanted headsets, they are now coming, you wanted downloadable content, they are now coming, you wanted no friend codes, they are coming. Pay to play will delete the friend codes because the free games will use them as a boost for you to go with Pay and Play. Wii's online revolution is coming but it will not be free and it can't be :yesnod: .

ShawVAuto said:
Nintendo is making the right move in my mind. Thing is, XBL has such rich and cool content because you pay for it. Your money goes towards building a better online community, PERIOD!! If you can play games for free online, what incentive do developers have to create new downloadable content if they will not get paid for it? It's like saying, why do they have to charge for VC games? Because it's not free for them. Try playing Madden 08 online via Wii then Madden 08 via XBL.... notice the HUGE difference? That's the difference between free and paying. We will not get headsets because headsets are not free to make. Why would they go through ALL of the hassle of creating voice chat games just so people can use it for free. It costs money to create better gaming plateau's for you gamers. You wanted headsets, they are now coming, you wanted downloadable content, they are now coming, you wanted no friend codes, they are coming. Pay to play will delete the friend codes because the free games will use them as a boost for you to go with Pay and Play. Wii's online revolution is coming but it will not be free and it can't be :yesnod: .

Number one Sony allows voice chat on its free online service. Also it is in no way a fact that this new service will eliminate friend codes or provide us with voice chat.

Nookslave said:
There's a damn good reason why Nintendo WFC is free; It sucks. Friend Codes, lack of voice chat, and so many other things that make it's online bad is why it's free. So now they're going to start charging for online games? They had better start putting out for online features, or frankly a lot of players aren't going to pay for it. I know I wouldn't.

OH MY GOD SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!!! Yay!

I cant wait for the typical ad to roll out:

"We would like you to pay to play"
*family tries to play the wii, but azn dude holds out hand waiting for them to pay*...*a decent amount of cash is handed over*, then every1 smiles...til next month when they have to pay again.... lol

I wonder if this is all leading up to Mario Kart Wii and we'll have to pay to play it online. The timing...... you know?

It's way to much speculation at this time, so far from the way I have taken it is the games are still free to play online, but the Pay to Play is a "premium" service most likely including voice chat/DLC in the mix with who knows what else.

I think it was a bad call on Nintendos part not to include all the Details and explain it all. One thing that keeps Nintendo ontop is its price! Nintendo always gets you with extras but they have always left it as an option not forced which I think will continue with online. But this news without details just gives room for people to throw mud about Nintendo with no facts to back it up.

They have a contract agreement for online game support already set-up for the life of the console, part of game price goes for the service, why charge more for something you already paid for? You wouldn't, you charge more for something new!

Don't get your panties in a twist till we hear the full story. I bet its different than all these articles are "interpreting" it as.

Even if they do charge for online service its said to only be on some games not all. In the end the only one who would get a boost from this is PS3 being the only one left supporting 100% Free online, besides DLC of course. But honeslty PS3 could use the boost. lol

Personally I wouln't mind paying for some online games but they better be big titles and i better get some extras for paying as opposed to free games.

A few things are making me think about this
1)The reason it is comparitivly difficult to add a friend on a wii is because they were trying to make it safer for kids. But if they make improvements on the wiicodes if it is charged, thats really the only way i can see it going. Therefore nintendo is, in all honesty, trying to hard to impress one set of customers and by doing so are perhaps losing there larger market

2)What about games that are already out? Knowing my luck, this willl come into action around the time SSBB and mariokart come out in the UK, so its likley at least one will charge, but for games I've already got, like Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games and Mario Strikers, will I be expected to pay? Because it seems unfair that they'd let me buy a game where i wasn't expecting to be charged for multiplayer, and then doing so. Surely this goes against some advetisement law?

3)Less important, but would this mean we no longer have to pay for the internet channel? Many of my mates who downloaded the internet channel regret it because it has lead to there wii crashing etc, so when i purchased my wii i decided it probably wasnt worth 500 wii points(well, i dont pay for it on my laptop or psp, why should i pay on anything else!). But if they have a subscription for the a connection, then it would seem fair if all who pay dont have to waste more money downloading a channel related to what theyre paying £** a month for

4)How much? The wii is selling well, partially because it is the cheaper console. But if its pay and play is to challange the 360, one might persume they'd be similarly priced. I personally persume a conversion of 1000 wiipoints a month, but it will probably be higher.

gerb said:
A few things are making me think about this
1)The reason it is comparitivly difficult to add a friend on a wii is because they were trying to make it safer for kids. But if they make improvements on the wiicodes if it is charged, thats really the only way i can see it going. Therefore nintendo is, in all honesty, trying to hard to impress one set of customers and by doing so are perhaps losing there larger market

2)What about games that are already out? Knowing my luck, this willl come into action around the time SSBB and mariokart come out in the UK, so its likley at least one will charge, but for games I've already got, like Mario and Sonic at the Olympic games and Mario Strikers, will I be expected to pay? Because it seems unfair that they'd let me buy a game where i wasn't expecting to be charged for multiplayer, and then doing so. Surely this goes against some advetisement law?

3)Less important, but would this mean we no longer have to pay for the internet channel? Many of my mates who downloaded the internet channel regret it because it has lead to there wii crashing etc, so when i purchased my wii i decided it probably wasnt worth 500 wii points(well, i dont pay for it on my laptop or psp, why should i pay on anything else!). But if they have a subscription for the a connection, then it would seem fair if all who pay dont have to waste more money downloading a channel related to what theyre paying £** a month for

4)How much? The wii is selling well, partially because it is the cheaper console. But if its pay and play is to challange the 360, one might persume they'd be similarly priced. I personally persume a conversion of 1000 wiipoints a month, but it will probably be higher.

Wow that was Exactly my point people already have the wrong concept of Pay to Play because they didn't explain it well enough.

1. It Has nothing to do with Wii code, They have mentioned nothing of changing this style setup for "family friendly online"

2. No you don't have to pay for the games out now and probably not for alot of them in the future as well this is a game by game basis not a new internet service for everything.

3. Again not a subscription its a game by game basis and you will probably still have to pay for the internet channel. Nintendo didnt develop it Opera web browser did and at there own expense. They are simply recouping the cost of making the 3rd party web browser that is all.

4. Again this is a game by game basis not a subscription service, there is no way to tell what the cost will be or what it will include. If it is for online service itself or if it is for bonus services like DLC/Voice Chat support. It will probably be pretty cheep and depend on how much you want to add/download to the game in question.

"Come on Nintendo you could have brought it out better than this. Everyone is freaking out already and have no clue what they are talking about. Bad move sir bad move."

Last edited:
i think this is a good move by Nintendo, lets just hope they really improve their online service because of this, all they need now is a hard drive or something so we will be able to store DLC.

dazz159 said:
i think this is a good move by Nintendo, lets just hope they really improve their online service because of this, all they need now is a hard drive or something so we will be able to store DLC.

They have said they already fixed this storage issue with a new Compression format for Wii-ware/DLC that will compress everything untill its needed.

I doubt we will ever need a HD. Maybe in the future it will use the SD card or a USB flash Drive for the download junkies. But thats it, it doesn't need huge amounts of space because it doesn't have to work nearly as hard as the other 2 consoles for the end result.

Back