LoganSix

WiiChat Member
Apr 25, 2007
North Cackalacky
Wii Online Code
2294-2353-1207-3330
Livebloggin the Reggie Talk

On voice chat and VC online play:
"We do not anticipate making online gameplay for Virtual Console games. In terms of voice chat... certainly our system has the capability for online voice chat, what it comes down to is finalizing the peripheral... I would not be surprised to see that capability come to this system."

From GoNintendo

Voice Chat on the Wii - It is something that Nintendo cares about. They have worked on that feature for the DS, and they put out the DS microphone. This is proof that they do enjoy the idea. When it comes to Wii, voice chat is definitely possible. There needs to be a peripheral created and finalized. Reggie said he wouldn’t be surprised if this is a feature that would come to the Wii.

Anyone wanna estimate when this would become a reality? Late 2008? Mid 2008? Beyond 2008?

can't really see it happening anytime soon.

neways, i'm happy with the Wii(s) that i have and what they can do without any extras. Yes the joys of owning a wii

Well the fact that they could release a software update tomorrow that would allow you to use any bluetooth headset.

I don't really know what is taking Nintendo so long to come out with the headset. Maybe they are waiting for a game to package it with (Brawl?).

And I just read this article about 1 hour ago, and thought I should post it here.

Sounds like thats final, we're getting a headset.

Its sad that it probably won't make it into Brawl. Would it be at all possible to incorporate it into games that came before its release? I highly doubt it...

Add another thing to the list...

December 14, 2007 - The Nintendo Wii is currently the only gaming system unable to give players the ability to voice chat over the internet. Though a few games have been released on the Wii featuring online play, none allow players to converse through them. It's a frustrating limitation.

During a question and answer session in a Nintendo conference call this morning, Reggie Fils-Aime addressed this issue.

According to Fils-Aime, the system is clearly capable of this function, and Nintendo is constantly adding and tweaking features of the Wii system through system updates. The issue boils down to locking down the specific technologies and getting the specific peripheral to allow voice chatting.

Fils-Aime noted that, since Nintendo found this tech and peripheral on the Nintendo DS, he "wouldn't be surprised at all" if the feature appeared on Wii. "It's something we value and constantly look at."

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/841/841550p1.html

Honestly? Mario Kart Wii or SSBB will have voice chat. I bet it'll come out on one of these two games garaunteed. However... That means Nintendo has to still set up server hubs, or face the same errors as Ventrilo.

Never forget Nintendo's policy. Quality over Quantity. Nintendo usually launches quality. That means we are in for a wait.

I don't have a problem really waiting for everything to get worked out and have a nice microphone that we can enjoy. It'll be the worth the wait, hopefully its not that long of one.

This looks good, we're one step closer to a confirmation of a headset for the Wii. I'm sure it won't be coming out any later than Q4 2008. Glad to hear it's on the way though. Nice find LoganSix!

FLYNNN said:
Anyone wanna estimate when this would become a reality? Late 2008? Mid 2008? Beyond 2008?

I've thought since Summer that Mario Kart (mid '08 I think) would have the functionality built-in, even if there was an additional delay before headsets shipped.

sagema said:
Never forget Nintendo's policy. Quality over Quantity. Nintendo usually launches quality. That means we are in for a wait.

They have sufficient funds that they could have outsourced development to a quality company and have launched the service in time for Team Fusion to integrate it into MOHH2, even if we had to wait to actually get our hands on the hardware (Nintendo's production issues aren't an example of their commitment to customer satisfaction).

I'm sure they still want to cash in on it, and I'm sure it's been in the works for one of the top titles (Mario Kart) for months. But they intend to reap the first benefits, not matter how many other games suffer for lack of voice chat in the meantime.

Last edited:
Back