Wii w/ monitor

philmottin said:
right and wrong...

you are right cuz its not a lag actually...

not just because isn't a internet connection it means its not possible...
in fact it happens and its called DELAY.
LAG is just the internet slang for delay...

long cables always have delays, even the electricity's cables...

well .. it's short for latency.. it's the same for internet connections and tv signals, but on tv u usually wont notice it, cuz..well u dont have anything to respond with, except when, in this case, u have a console hooked up to it..

About tvcards; there are some that have a little lag. it's usually because it has some processing of the signal to do among other things..

try a Dell 2407WFP

I use my Wii on a Dell 24" WS LCD (2407WFP) with no problems... It has VGA, DVI, Component, S-Video & Composite inputs. I use the component inputs for the Wii, DVI and VGA for my PCs and S-Video for a region free DVD player. It also does PnP for any of the sources.

s no lag dude...this would be a video connection and not an internet connection...Lag only happens when your internet connection is slow....

You are so wrong :p TV capture cards for computer have lag because they have to encode the video somewhat and that takes time. This is fine for a TV, but in a case like video games when you're looking for instant feedback for most of your actions, it's quite noticable.

I have a Dell 2007WFP. It's a widescreen LCD display and it has VGA, DVI, Svideo, and Composite inputs on the back of it. It's the best monitor I've ever owned. I can have my computers plugged in on the VGA / DVI inputs, and my wii plugged in on the composite input and they all work wonderfully. This would probably be your best bet, and dell also has 2 displays bigger than that (24 and 30 inch) with the same features.

That would be my reccomendation to you, just keep in mind you need another way to get the audio to work (I have a stereo reciever and some speakers that my wii is plugged into)

Also:
When I look at monitors online, I only get to see the native resolution. How would I find all of the supported resolutions?
Generally a monitor will support any resolution less than its native one. Just letting ya know.

Last edited:
OK i have solved my problem. I have purchased the 'Grand Video Console' made by 'Grandtec'.

It is a video convertor for high resolution video picture. Has a composite, s-video and VGA inputs with a VGA out. This will allow you to connect you computer in line so you don't have to keep unplugging your monitir everytime you want to use it for the Wii or PC.

It also has a sound input and output but when i wrote this i still have to unplug the speakers from the computer and plug into the GV Console.

Works like a dream. can't comment fully on the picture quality as i have only used it on a CRT monitor so far (8 year old monitor). But so far the picture quality and sound is more than good enough.

This Grand Video Console is available from a few placed U.S. but only place i found it in the UK was via Amazon.co.uk or direct to the same company, but was cheaper via Amazon - £45.00

Toastercookie said:
You are so wrong :p TV capture cards for computer have lag because they have to encode the video somewhat and that takes time. This is fine for a TV, but in a case like video games when you're looking for instant feedback for most of your actions, it's quite noticable.

I have a Dell 2007WFP. It's a widescreen LCD display and it has VGA, DVI, Svideo, and Composite inputs on the back of it. It's the best monitor I've ever owned. I can have my computers plugged in on the VGA / DVI inputs, and my wii plugged in on the composite input and they all work wonderfully. This would probably be your best bet, and dell also has 2 displays bigger than that (24 and 30 inch) with the same features.

That would be my reccomendation to you, just keep in mind you need another way to get the audio to work (I have a stereo reciever and some speakers that my wii is plugged into)

Also:
Generally a monitor will support any resolution less than its native one. Just letting ya know.

Thanks for the input...

How does your Wii appear on the LCD? Since you're using composite cables, is the picture stretched to fit the screen, or what?

Back