wiikey bricked

Status
Not open for further replies.

analyzer

WiiChat Member
Apr 23, 2007
I've read some stories online about users wii's getting bricked.

I'm not exactly sure what all this means.. but for the main part, they aren't able to use their wii anymore, and need to buy a new one when this happens?

a lot of wii users got their wii bricked when trying to play a backup of paper mario..

how safe really is the a modded wii.. with the wiikey?

..I guess if you play it safe, and make sure somebody else tests it out first.. and follow their instructions you'd be safe.

for example.. ppl have posted saying to do a wii update before trying to play a backup of paper mario and it worked fine.

the problem occurs when people try to play NTSC games on PAL consoles...

I would assume the same problem can occur doing it the other way round...

this is due to different region firmware...

to solve this problem... dont download games ;)

if your backing up your games to save your disks... you need to buy games for YOUR region...

buying your region games and backing them up wont cause them to brick when ninty puts firmware updates on them...

The Bricking that has occured has been due to paper mario NTSC being downloaded and played on PAL consoles... the NTSC paper mario disc then updates the wii with the wrong format's firmware and bobs your auntie... your wii doesn't know its arse from is elbow...

NTSC = Japan/US
PAL = UK/Europe/Australia

I'm pretty sure thats right for those places unsure of others...

So dont buy import games then back them up to play on your modded Wii...

Do buy games then back them up to play on your Wii :)

TheRook

When people with a WiiKey say that they've bricked their console, they usually mean that they have to reinstall the modchips software via a DVD setup disc. I havn't heard of anyone bricking their console with games, although they can screw up on the install and bridge some components.

Meeuwissen said:
Bricking is completely breaking the system isnt it

that's what I thought.

..if you just mess the install up.. and can reinstall it.. then it's not really that bad.

but having to buy an entire new wii/modchip would suck.

the term "brick" is basically used because you break the system... effectivly making its main use as being a brick... no other function as it doesnt work...

thus you brick a wii or a 360 or a ps2 or whatever... if you brick it... its not going to work anymore and you may as well use it as a doorstop or start building a wall...

The Super Paper Mario (NTSC) disk has a firmware update which when played on a PAL wii which isn't the latest version I updates the PAL wii with NTSC firmware... breaking the console making it no longer work... and its "bricked"

TheRook

Why can't people just use the machine the way it was made??
Buy it play the games and leave it alone.

You fool with it and have to buy a new one you deserve what you get.

The Fifth said:

I agree with you there.

sorcer said:
Try living in Europe and waiting for PAL games.
I agree with you 100% ,stfu about that crap - ohh buy games and what not. TRY living in Europe for a change. 1) (atleast where I live) the games are double priced then they normally cost. 2) They come out so god damn late
So stop giving us this crap.

The Fifth said:

I buy games... I have wii play and red steel and excite truck... I sold zelda after I completed it...

so shush...

I want a mod chip so I can check out gamecube homebrew... and I'm certainly not buying a gamecube to chip that to then try out gamecube homebrew...

so not everyone uses a modchip for nefarious means...

TheRook

sorcer said:
Try living in Europe and waiting for PAL games.

XLaw said:
I agree with you 100% ,stfu about that crap - ohh buy games and what not. TRY living in Europe for a change. 1) (atleast where I live) the games are double priced then they normally cost. 2) They come out so god damn late

Totally and fully agree

From Southpark - Episode 509 said:
Stan: But why? Why does a third of the world hate us?
Boy in Blue Vest: Because, you don't realize that a third of the world hates you!!!

Last edited:
XLaw said:

Move to America then or get an American Wii then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back