Wiimotes killing batteries with console off!

millhouse

WiiChat Member
Feb 13, 2009
As the title states, after we are done with the wii and shut the console down, the wiimote batteries get sucked dry overnight.....to the point where they wont even power up. It's come to a point where we have to remove a battery and leave it out anytime the console is at idle (which seems to be quite often, as it's become a PITA). Is this a common problem....and is there anything I can do about this? It happens with both controllers.

What kind of batteries?

Do the LEDs stay on on the Wiimote?

I have the factory batteries in one Wiimote since about Christmas and the batteries still show three bars. (Doesn't get used much.) The ones we use more are filled with Energizer 2500mah NIMH batteries and they last days or weeks (used probably 10 hours/week.)

You should definitely see better.

If you're using rechargeables, are you sure they're recharging fully?

Have you tried other batteries?

What kind of batteries?

Do the LEDs stay on on the Wiimote?

I have the factory batteries in one Wiimote since about Christmas and the batteries still show three bars. (Doesn't get used much.) The ones we use more are filled with Energizer 2500mah NIMH batteries and they last days or weeks (used probably 10 hours/week.)

You should definitely see better.

If you're using rechargeables, are you sure they're recharging fully?

Have you tried other batteries?

I'm using duracell copper tops. I can throw in brand new batteries, shut the console off (the led's will turn off on the wiimotes too), turn it back on the next evening and they'll be dead!:shocked:

It never used to be this way either. The original batteries lasted quite some time, as did the batteries that followed. The wii sat for a few months without being played.....and that is when this issue arose.

I'm using duracell copper tops. I can throw in brand new batteries, shut the console off (the led's will turn off on the wiimotes too), turn it back on the next evening and they'll be dead!:shocked:

It never used to be this way either. The original batteries lasted quite some time, as did the batteries that followed. The wii sat for a few months without being played.....and that is when this issue arose.

Did the batteries leak when they sat for a couple months? If so, there could be residue in the battery compartment that conducts enough to drain the replacements. If that's the case, first thing I'd try is to carefully clean the battery compartment with something like a damp cotton swab. You might also check the battery manufacturer to see if they cover damage caused by leaking batteries.

If that is not the situation, I'm not aware of anything to do but contact Nintendo for further help. (I'm presuming that you've checked the appropriate stickied threads here and not found anything.)

Did the batteries leak when they sat for a couple months? If so, there could be residue in the battery compartment that conducts enough to drain the replacements. If that's the case, first thing I'd try is to carefully clean the battery compartment with something like a damp cotton swab. You might also check the battery manufacturer to see if they cover damage caused by leaking batteries.

If that is not the situation, I'm not aware of anything to do but contact Nintendo for further help. (I'm presuming that you've checked the appropriate stickied threads here and not found anything.)

Nope, the batteries (besides being dead) were fine after.

I've also read the stikies and found nothing relating to my problem. I'm going to try to unplug it and re-set the sync function one more time before contacting Nintendo.

If problems keep occurring, you're just going to have to take out the batteries when you are done playing.

That's what I've been doing (for the past 8 months)....and what I'm trying to fix. It may not sound like a big deal....but it's something that should NOT be happening....and gets to be a PITA.

Mine is the same, I can put in brand new batteries, Play the wii for an hour or 2, Shut the console off, come back in about a week and the batteries are dead.

... It may not sound like a big deal....but it's something that should NOT be happening....and gets to be a PITA.
It sounds like a big enough deal to me. Having to remove batteries or remove the jacket every time you use them would be a royal PITA and sure seems to me to indicate a problem with the Wiimote.

I would suggest trying to solve the problem rather than treating the symptom as others have suggested. Since no one here can offer a suggestion, it seems like it is time to contact Nintendo Support to see what they can suggest.

HTH

It sounds like a big enough deal to me. Having to remove batteries or remove the jacket every time you use them would be a royal PITA and sure seems to me to indicate a problem with the Wiimote.

I would suggest trying to solve the problem rather than treating the symptom as others have suggested. Since no one here can offer a suggestion, it seems like it is time to contact Nintendo Support to see what they can suggest.

HTH

I just contacted Nintendo support and was informed that I'm SOL (my console and remotes are nearly 2 years old and out of warranty).

So my choices are to either send in the remotes and have them replace them via. the standard charge plus shipping....or go pick up new ones for the store for less money. At this point in time I'm going to open them up and see if I can't find anything on the board that's fried. If not, I'll continue to take the batteries out.

Back