Will my brand new (12.2007) Wii play DVDs?

rbourdeaux

WiiChat Member
Dec 26, 2007
I've found so much information on this using Google and Ask.com and can't find a concrete answer. My Wii has HD capability and I don't know if that means anything. Are there differing consoles? I'd be able to check this if I was at home with my Wii, but I've got to work all day. Thanks in advance for the help.

The Wii can not play DVD's, and the HD limit the Wii is capable of is 480ip or something like that. Not a big improvement from the normal visuals really.

Thanks very much. Were you able to get a Wii? I just noticed your user name.

Yes :lol:
Its an old user name I used from last Christmas when I didn't get one, but then a got one a few months later.

Miwii, what are you talking about?

As I mentioned in my prior post, I just got this yesterday. I know nothing about what you mention.

The Wii is capable of playing DVD's.... the rumour that "the dvd spins the opposite way" is just that.. a rumour.... there is no hardware upgrade needed for the Wii to play DVD movies. Basically if Nintendo wanted the Wii to play DVD's they can send us a firmware update... or if you really want the Wii to play DVD's go get a Mod Chip.

which is it? Does it play them or not? You initially said it did, then you said it doesn't.

The Wii drive wasn't made to play DVDs, it would only burn the laser up.
It is capable of it tho. There are hacks that can do that. But as I said, the laser would quickly just burn up. T

Last edited:
Back