Will Something Happen?

Wii-Fi said:
I knew this would come up! the calendar ends on that date, but the prediction that catastrophy will occur is open to interpretation. If there is no date next does that mean the world will end or will it start over? The Mayans never said the world would end, it's purely based on our own speculation. It's true that they predicted events such as Pompei, but ending thier calendar on a certain date doesn't mean they predicted the world would end.

The universe will not be completly wiped out. Just our life. It is believed that they saw a asteroid which now now hidden. It will most likely cause a mass extinction.

But yes, when a calender ends, a new one starts.

"death is is the beginning of another life"
Am I not right?

Interesting points, that Mayan thing is kinda odd.
Only 5 years till then oh man.

Remember, keep it on-topic and keep the discussion flowing ( everyone is doing fine, just throwing out the reminder)

D S said:
"death is is the beginning of another life"
Am I not right?

Your are right, partly.

On large cause's yes but singular death is not proved.

Mass extinction leads to new life.

Who knows what one death leads to.

JAKE196 said:
the world is gonna end in 2016, that will be interesting to watch :p

The Rudolf Hess files are that damaging?

:lol:

well nothing in this thread even said that we had to mention negative things, so im not gonna, who knows, we might see the day where u.s and the middle east come to peace, maybe the second coming of jesus?? so many different things could happen , nothing is really inemitable, especially war

Doesn't Africa have like mad oil over there?
I thought they did, oh well.
I just always assumed they had oil and diamonds.

yeah Global Warming is really getting on my mind also but what is also on my mind is if a asteriod is gonna hit earth soon. that would be a massive damage.

yeah, one day something would change the world. we dont know if its in the next five minutes or tommorro or next week. we dont know :sick:

9/11 and our current situation will probably be the disaster that our generation will most remember. Also, although it didn't happen to us, the Sri Lanka tsunami was extremely devastating.

Global Warming is nothing to me.

I believe a Third World War will take place in our lifetime. Maybe nukes?

The end of the Mayan calender= mass extinction?
BULLSH_T
I'd like to buy a vowel
I really doubt this will be the case. If anything will cause mass extinction, It'd be human cause. biological warfare/nuclear warfare.

EDIT: reply to Trevpimp.
I remember seeing on the Discovery Channel that Scientists are estimating the next astroid to come close to hitting Earth, or actually hitting us, is 2027,8,9. ( i forget which)

Last edited:
I'm unpleasantly surprised that many still believe Global Warming is nothing to be worried about. We are already starting to see the effects, ocean temperature is rising the Great Barrier Reef has already began to seriously bleach.

Climate models referenced by the The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change project that global surface temperatures are likely to increase by 1.1 to 6.4 °C between 1990 and 2100.The range of values results from the use of differing scenarios of future greenhouse gas emissions as well as models with differing climate sensitivity. Although most studies focus on the period up to 2100, warming and sea level rise are expected to continue for more than a millennium even if greenhouse gas levels are stabilized. This reflects the large heat capacity of the oceans.

An increase in global temperatures is expected to cause other changes, including sea level rise, increased intensity of extreme weather events, and changes in the amount and pattern of precipitation. Other effects of global warming include changes in agricultural yields, glacier retreat, species extinctions and increases in the ranges of disease vectors.

DRMARIO said:
We've had these natural cycles ever since the Earth was created. So we're going to have a slightly hotter climate for a while, it's happened in the past, and we've survived it.

It's definately not as simple as that. Yes we do have temperature cycles, but CO2 levels have never been this high. Increased CO2 concentration leads to more heat being trapped yada, yada, yada... If we continue to let this happen it won't just be a "slightly hotter" climate for a while. The potential hazards, rising sea levels ect. are to dangerous to ignore.

Global temperature graph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png

CO2 concentration graph: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mauna_Loa_Carbon_Dioxide.png

Back