Wired or Wireless?

WIIMAN999

WiiloveWii
Nov 16, 2006
UK!!!
Wii Online Code
2319-8640-8665-4952
Hi guys,

In the next few weeks i will be a proud Wii60 Elite owner :yesnod: and was pondering about my internet setup. If i have to go wired i will have to use a RJ45 Ethernet cable approximately 20meters in length to reach my room. The advantage to this is the cables are very cheap to buy (lol i thank ebay :lol:) and possibly quicker speeds. Or the other option is to go wireless. Obviously, the advantage to wireless is no wires but i fear i may lose signal strength due to my thick walls in my house and the £60 price tag. Although i should probably check how strong my Wii signal strength is first.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

WIIMAN999

Last edited:
WIIMAN999 said:
Hi guys,

In the next few weeks i will be a proud Xbox 360 Elite owner :yesnod: and was pondering about my internet setup. If i have to go wired i will have to use a RJ45 Ethernet cable approximately 20meters in length to reach my room. The advantage to this is the cables are very cheap to buy (lol i thank ebay :lol:) and possibly quicker speeds. Or the other option is to go wireless. Obviously, the advantage to wireless is no wires but i fear i may lose signal strength due to my thick walls in my house and the £60 price tag. Although i should probably check how strong my Wii signal strength is first.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

WIIMAN999
I have my Xbox wired into my laptop which acts as a wireless device. All it takes is some port forwarding.

I'd personally like wireless but if you have thick walls I'd always go for the safe wired connection, it really doesn't matter more than likely because you don't live in an underground bunker but that's just my opinion, and I don't mind cords.

Thanks for the replies FRuMMaGe and 261311

1 more quick question:

Would a 20 meter cable affect the speed of megabytes per second? (aka slower? :sick:) oh and i forgot to mention i have a BT Home Hub.

Thanks in advance,

WIIMAN999

WIIMAN999 said:
Thanks for the replies FRuMMaGe and 261311

1 more quick question:

Would a 20 meter cable affect the speed of megabytes per second? (aka slower? :sick:) oh and i forgot to mention i have a BT Home Hub.

Thanks in advance,

WIIMAN999
It would be slower, but not noticeably.

Hi guyz,

Thanks for all your replies :smilewinkgrin: and i have decided to go wired :aureola: and buy one of those dirt cheap 20 metre cables off Ebay. So setup should be a doddle!

Thanks again,

WIIMAN999

i have a spare 50 foot cable laying around but i think something went wrong w/it otherwise id just ship it to u for free lol. i have no use for 100 feet of ethernet cable beleive it or not!

i got a 50ft one for 30 bucks at gamestop, 2 of them actually, how much did u find one for on ebay? cause i know the same thing was 35 at radioshack.

edit: im talking USD here if you didnt catch that, i dont know the conversions.

Hey, I'm currently deciding whether to get a 360 or a PS3...but if I was to go with the 360, would I be better to get an Ethernet cable to go from my router to my room, rather than buy the wireless adaptor? Because it would save me money, and I hear that wired is better than wireless. Are there any other advantages to wireless other than there not being any wires?

Think it's better to use a wire so the signal won't like... drop. But parents would kill me if I had a long wire going through my house. So I would personally get a wireless adapter, but if you don't mind the wires, use the wire! :)

Celestial said:
Think it's better to use a wire so the signal won't like... drop. But parents would kill me if I had a long wire going through my house. So I would personally get a wireless adapter, but if you don't mind the wires, use the wire! :)
Nice one...I'll have to see what my old man thinks of helping me thread the wire through, I'm sure it isn't a problem.

To SensesFail

I found a 50ft (25m) ethernet for approximately £9 including shipping which is approximately $17.78. And thanks for the offer on the cable :smilewinkgrin: but i have nagged my dad to get a high quality KLOTZ (i think is the brand) ethernet cable so all is well lol.:wink:

And thanks for hijacking my thread Lewi T (only joking! :yesnod:)

Thanks for all your replies,

WIIMAN999

WIIMAN999 said:
To SensesFail

I found a 50ft (25m) ethernet for approximately £9 including shipping which is approximately $17.78. And thanks for the offer on the cable :smilewinkgrin: but i have nagged my dad to get a high quality KLOTZ (i think is the brand) ethernet cable so all is well lol.:wink:

And thanks for hijacking my thread Lewi T (only joking! :yesnod:)

Thanks for all your replies,

WIIMAN999
Lol, apologies...this thread helped me initially but I just needed to ask a quick question, so there was no point in making a new thread! You were joking though so all is good :thumbsup:

Back