Zelda Wii .... NOT!(?) IGN Interview with Eiji Aonuma and Miyamoto

sremick said:
Considering that Twilight Princess wasn't even a native Wii game but is a Gamecube port (which means it's not anywhere near taking advantage of the full power of the Wii), I'm disappointed that a real full-fledged Wii Zelda isn't already in-development. :(

Why are you saying that? Miyamoto never said there would not be a new Zelda game for the Wii, he said there was a small chance and that it probably won't come out for a long time since they have other concerns that are of more importance. I think Zelda TP did use good use of the Wii Remote even if it did come out for the GC, they had to modify some things to make it work.

XwiimasturX said:
i dont know why everyone is scared of casual gaming. just because there are going to be MORE casual games doesn't mean there are going to be LESS hardcore games.

if anything, casual games are helping hardcore games because:
casual gaming is the main selling point of the wii (for most ppl) and since the wii is selling so well, more devs want to develop for it. since more devs want to develop for it, we're bound to get more hardcore games made by third party.

Don't you think they'll just release even more casual games? Gaming history shows that if a certain type of game sells well, publishers tend to just make more of them, usually to the detriment of other genres.

So its probably going to be somewhere near 2012 the next time we even see another console Zelda game! I just hope that level 5 dosnt go all casual, so I can enjoy many years of Dragon Quest! .......eh I just hope they can at least give us DS Zelda games!

Last edited:
Joe said:
So its probably going to be 2012 the next time we even see another console Zelda game! I just hope that level 5 dosnt go all casual, so I can enjoy many years of Dragon Quest!

No, I just finished saying that Miyamoto said that there might be a chance but there not very concerned now. And 2012? I know that's in 5 years (the usual life-span of a console) but who's saying a Zelda came will come out directly at release like TP did? It could be even longer. That's why I think there is a good chance of a new Zelda game coming for the Wii in a couple of years. There is a very small % chance it will come out in 2008.

FR. said:
Why are you saying that? Miyamoto never said there would not be a new Zelda game for the Wii,
I know, and it's not what I said. I said that I was disappointed that (or if) it hasn't been started yet. This was based upon the original poster:

Secumfex said:
According to an interview of IGN with Eiji Aonuma and Shigeru Miyamoto, Twilight Princess could possibly be the last Zelda on the Wii. In fact, they didn't even start developing a new Zelda game...

FR. said:
I think Zelda TP did use good use of the Wii Remote even if it did come out for the GC, they had to modify some things to make it work.
Yeah I don't doubt it does make good use of the Wii remote (I can't speak from personal experience yet, as my Zelda was damaged/lost/stolen in shipping so I'm still without it) but I was talking as far as graphics capabilities and such. The GC has a 485 MHz CPU, 43MB of RAM, 162MHz GPU, and game discs have a 1.5GB capacity. The Wii has a 729 MHz CPU, 88MB RAM, 243 MHz GPU, and discs with 8.5GB capacity. So a game working within the graphics constraints of the Gamecube isn't anywhere near making full-use of the abilities of the Wii, regardless of how well the control interface has been patched to utilize the Wii remote. While Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, etc might look spectacular on the Wii, they aren't representative of what the Wii can do.

I'm anxious to see what a Zelda (one of Nintendo's flagship product lines) game will look like if designed from the ground-up to make full use of the Wii hardware. I'm just bummed that it seems like the clock hasn't started yet (or has hardly started), suggesting that we might have to wait 3 years to see this.

Back