1080i 720P? will my wii still look decent?

Link_Sword

WiiChat Member
Jul 31, 2007
Hey everyone you may have seen me elsewhere around the forums, anyway. Black friday is tomorrow and Dad finally decided to upgrade to HD. I intended to buy component cables, but since the def. is so high, will the wii look insanely bad on it? I assume it will, but i was hoping galaxy, metroid, MoHH2, Bwii, might look decent?

I have a 1080p brand new sharp Aquos 42" and the cords look great. You just have to make sure the TV is compatible with 420p, which most HD TV's are.

ronjon13 said:
i thought all HDTVs were compatable at all levels?

Nope.

Consult the owners manual/specs. of each individual TV.

Do you mean 480p? Not being smart ass, just not very techno and looking for new tv that wii will work on.

JPJ526 said:
Nope.

Consult the owners manual/specs. of each individual TV.

I have never heard of an HDTV that won't handle a 480I/P input signal?

What might confuse people is the input signal resolution v. the native display resolution of LCD (or Plasma, etc.). "Fixed" resolution technology only displays the native specifiction, however it CAN take different input signals. If it's not native it's up/downscaled/resampled.

For example our 50" Sony LCD is 720P native. It can take a 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i source signal (we have D* HD, a PS2, a Wii, a HD-DVD player all providing a wide range of source signals), but everything winds up scaled to 720P.

Native 720p and 1080i look fantastic. Upscaled 480 can introduce some artifacts and keep in mind the scalar in the TV is having to create missing data. The extra data can make graphics look a little chunkier, have odd fringe effects, introduce distortion, EE, macroblocking-ish issues, all sorts of display gremlins.

The larger the set the more noticeable it will be (and the closer your viewing distance). I think ours looks great because for the most part, the games we play have art and design that's cartoony anyway, so it's not a big issue.

the wii is working at 480i and if you get the HD cables it will run 480P. i got the cables and i can not tell any diference in the picture. i have a 73 inch tv trust me the picture is still good even if you go big and HD

Back