I am also looking for new "HDTV" for my Wii-32"

wiiperson0709

WiiChat Member
May 25, 2007
I am looking for a new "LCD Flat Screen TV" for "Christmas". Like others are on this board. Anyways will 32" LCD HDTV will look good? I am doing lots of research on LCD TV's. I heard "720p" is pretty popluar and the price is not to high not like "1080p" or "i". Will 720p look ok for my games? I am just wondering how it is going to look when I get it. I do have the componants cables for Wii already on my "Sony Tube TV" that is "480p" older stye. Will my Wii look allot better on 720p? And what best tv brands look good for my Wii? I don't want my games look so dark that is what I am worrying. :scared:

The Wii sucks with HDTV, just get the cheapest one.

JAKE196 said:
the wii can't do over 480p so it doesn't matter. . .

Fixed resolution sets like LCD, DLP, Plasma, etc., will upscale the 480p to their native resolution, so it depends on the quality of the built-in scalar.

Again, get the best TV you can within your budget and keep in mind for smaller sets (like under 40") you might not gain much perceived detail from a higher resolution like 1080i/p vs. 720p.

We have a 46in High Def LCD TV 1080i. The wii looks awesome on ours. A 32 inch will look perfectly fine with component cables.

We have a Samsung 46in High Def LCD TV 1080p. The wii looks awesome on ours. A 32 inch will look perfectly fine with component cables.

laurie_lu said:
We have a Samsung 46in High Def LCD TV 1080p. The wii looks awesome on ours. A 32 inch will look perfectly fine with component cables.

It's so good it's worth saying twice! :lol:

To the original poster: The current gen Samsung LCD sets having been getting killer reviews - when we migrate our Sony upstairs (and the Toshiba out) it's about the only non-Sony brand I've considered in the 55-60" 1080p spec.

~DT

JAKE196 said:
double posting much? :aureola:
LOL double posting to much front of newbie.:shocked:

Thanks for your help guys. My limted is 32" since it is a small bedroom. 32" HD is fine. Yes Wii dose HD I see it under Wii settings it says EDTV or HDTV 480p. So if I get 720p it just shows the black screen even I have those componants? I am confuse what you guys told me?

Last edited by a moderator:
What ever TV you get that is "flat panel" it will have a native resolution. If you get a widescreen TV that is 720p then its native res is 1280x720. I believe the wii does 720x480 in it's widescreen setting. Your TV must upscale the image to its panel size. A poor upscaler will result in a poor image, a better scaler will give you a smoother look, less jagged. Personally I'd go down in TV size if it meant I could get a better scaler.

Check out avsforum.com if you want a learn about HDTV.

So you want a good TV for your Wii.. I recomend a 720p LCD TV, even though the Wii can't do over 480p, the added resolution would be just nice to have :). Just be sure to remember to turn on the burn-in reducer and buy those 1st partycomponent cables ;).

mym6 said:
What ever TV you get that is "flat panel" it will have a native resolution. If you get a widescreen TV that is 720p then its native res is 1280x720. I believe the wii does 720x480 in it's widescreen setting. Your TV must upscale the image to its panel size. A poor upscaler will result in a poor image, a better scaler will give you a smoother look, less jagged. Personally I'd go down in TV size if it meant I could get a better scaler.

Check out avsforum.com if you want a learn about HDTV.

Holy paraphrase my post Batman! :lol:

Back