Wii on a HDTV somewhat a dissapointment

I have a 42" HDTV Sony and I have no problems with they way it looks, it is far more "pretty" then the cheap SDTV Orion it was hooked up to before. Also "jaggies" you guys are spoiled I remember when Nintendo first came out and you were hoping that the movement wasn't restricted to up left right down and maybe just maybe you would move diagonal let alone "jaggies" appearing on the screen. Hell we hoped the damn system would burn an imagine into our screens. Less whiney more have funny. :)

lasher702 said:
I have a 42" HDTV Sony and I have no problems with they way it looks, it is far more "pretty" then the cheap SDTV Orion it was hooked up to before. Also "jaggies" you guys are spoiled I remember when Nintendo first came out and you were hoping that the movement wasn't restricted to up left right down and maybe just maybe you would move diagonal let alone "jaggies" appearing on the screen. Hell we hoped the damn system would burn an imagine into our screens. Less whiney more have funny. :)

LOl man do I remember those days! Really though you guys are getting bite with the cheap HDtv thing and some of these TVs are designed to make sd look bad on purpose so that more HD content is sold for them which makes them more important.

There is nothing wrong with my tv - as Bluray movies, XBOX 360, and High Definition programming look amazing. My Sharp Aquos 42" television has been configured and tweaked to viewing perfection. Standard definition programming looks great as well! The average viewer (like my wife) would view the graphics as great. However, I expect a little more out of top-of-the-line equipment and expected the graphics of the Wii to be a little better. Unfortunately, after playing other consoles that are high definition, jagged lines in games stick out like a sore thumb - and a larger screen tends to magnify them. Don't get me wrong, the games are fun - I'm just disappointed in the graphics for a next gen console.

Thats just because it is on an HDTV thats what everyone is telling you... if you tossed it on a SDTV or EDTV you wouldnt say it was jagged because it wouldn't be...

Obviously your HD content looks better if not amazing on an HDTV lol wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

SD and ED are not jagged at all when played in the proper format,. If the Wii or any other SD, ED content looks jagged it is because your HDTV isn't able to upconvert the SD and ED format properly on your t.v.

Thats why you hear 2 sides of this story even on the same types of t.v's, it all has to do with how good of a upconverter/scaler is in the t.v,. and not that the format is just too crappy to be even viewable on an HDTV.... LOL... Thats the snobby attitude they hope you to get so you just keep on buying the new HDTV products.

Its buisness, they will do anything to make a buck and they will do anything to save a buck... in this case they get to do both by gipping you outta a decent upconverter and selling you an HDTV... only way to fix it is to spend more money and buy and external upconverter and keep on supportin the MAN... ha ha

Yup, it's definitely your guys' TV's.
I have a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV, and for the most part, the Wii looks great. Obviously not 360-great, but great nonetheles....I had a bit of an issue with Zelda:TP, as it seemed to be made of horizontal lines that made things "crisper" but also more jagged.
However, other games such as Metroid Prime 3 just flat-out looked GREAT, as did Super Mario Galaxy. The graphics were excellent.
So if these games don't look awesome with the component cables (red/blue/green) then it's your TV's fault, not the Wii!
Guaranteed.

I have a 46" Samsung and the Wii graphics look fine on mine. I had to do some adjustments on the settings, but I'm happy with the results. Yes, it's not comparable to the xbox graphics, but I can oive with it.

Thanks for everyone telling me that there is a problem with my tv - WHICH THERE IS NOT! I bought an HDTV and bought it for excellent HD content. I don't care about upscaling. My point is - I was disappointed in a next gen console NOT PRODUCING HD CONTENT!

YES...I KNOW THE WII IS NOT HIGH DEFINITION....I AM JUST BUMMED!

The Wii is fun but behind in graphics. When I say something looks "bad" I am comparing it to XBOX 360 or HD graphics. Sure...for standard definition...the Wii looks fine. I am just saddened to see that it cannot take advantage of the remarkable picture of a Sharp Aquos. Anyone who is telling me that there is a "problem with my tv" when the Wii does not produce higher than 480p graphics is not thinking clearly.

So before you tack on another post saying "there is a problem with the tv" or "I got suckered into buying a tv with no features" I am only saying that I wish the graphics were better and were up to the abilities of a PS3 or XBOX 360....period!

wezeles said:
Thats just because it is on an HDTV thats what everyone is telling you... if you tossed it on a SDTV or EDTV you wouldnt say it was jagged because it wouldn't be...

Obviously your HD content looks better if not amazing on an HDTV lol wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

SD and ED are not jagged at all when played in the proper format,. If the Wii or any other SD, ED content looks jagged it is because your HDTV isn't able to upconvert the SD and ED format properly on your t.v.

Thats why you hear 2 sides of this story even on the same types of t.v's, it all has to do with how good of a upconverter/scaler is in the t.v,. and not that the format is just too crappy to be even viewable on an HDTV.... LOL... Thats the snobby attitude they hope you to get so you just keep on buying the new HDTV products.

Its buisness, they will do anything to make a buck and they will do anything to save a buck... in this case they get to do both by gipping you outta a decent upconverter and selling you an HDTV... only way to fix it is to spend more money and buy and external upconverter and keep on supportin the MAN... ha ha

Thank you for explaining my whole thought process on buying a television. I dont' know what I would do without your "expert" opinion. I know what I bought and researched it for months. Believe it or not, there ARE people who buy things without being talked into it or "sold" on it.

kwirges said:
Thank you for explaining my whole thought process on buying a television. I dont' know what I would do without your "expert" opinion. I know what I bought and researched it for months. Believe it or not, there ARE people who buy things without being talked into it or "sold" on it.

Geez people. Just thought I would drop a note and say that I too am disappointed in the Wii 480p. I'd love to hear the reason for not making the games in at least 720p. I mean, come on, even the old Xbox could be in 720p. I would of gladly paid 300 or $325 for a Wii that can support 720p.

thechi444 said:
Geez people. Just thought I would drop a note and say that I too am disappointed in the Wii 480p. I'd love to hear the reason for not making the games in at least 720p. I mean, come on, even the old Xbox could be in 720p. I would of gladly paid 300 or $325 for a Wii that can support 720p.

Didn't mean to get crappy. Just a little frustrating when you have a state-of-the-art tv and people are telling you that it sucks - when all I was stating is it is a major downer that the Wii doesn't do HD. I love the Wii - just wish it was high def. I really don't get why they wouldn't have done that.

Lol...I wouldn't go so far as to say your TV is 'state-of-the-art'...I mean sure it's HDTV...but there's better and more 'state-of-the-art'...lol

Ok, first things first...I'm not sure where you come from if they make LCDs bigger than 40"-42" but here that's what they go up to...and for a reason...It looks terrible otherwise!!! Don't get me wrong the technology is getting better, but it you want a huge TV Plasma is the way to go...Although it's not ideally suited for gaming...you can put on the 'Burn-in-reduction' setting...

We have a 42" and it's fine...Yes of course the wii is going to look terrible when you compare it to an Xbox 360...and if that's all your rant was about...there are about 500 other threads that are open for you to complain in instead of making a new one...You may now have meant to get crappy, but you did....

Wow, seriously....lol....a little touchy on the jaggies issue...hate to step foot in your room everythings all organized and in perfect condition.

Deal with the jaggies already, the Wii wasn't ment to be a processing powerhouse. Lets put it this way I buy a Casio keyboard I then start whining because the thing doesn't sound as good as a grand piano. Even more I hook it up to a brand new 2000 Watt 7.1 surround system and realize
that the sound is distorted and the highs sound flat and lows sound shallow. Does this make sense?

The Nintendo Wii was built to allow the system to remain cool, cost effective, and interactive. It is not a PS3 or a 360. If you understood at all that the Wii isn't "Next-Gen" in the tried and true method of graphics and processing power then you understand you aren't going to get a 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 720i picture from the system. You will have some artifacts such as jaggies or other annoying things but in the course of playing a game the screen isn't static enough to give a damn.

Last edited:
The fact that very few people currently have an HDTV is the deciding factor for this one, obviously the majority of people don't currently have an HDTV yet.
Nintendo didn't find it necessary to include it in there system because of this. Sure it would have been nice for them to offer it or even offer a second version in HD, but in the end the amount of people that would pay extra for it let alone even use it wouldn't justify the cost of making one.

Unlike the other 2 consoles Nintendo doesn't like to loose money on there consoles and make it up in other aspects of there buisness, they are stricktly in the gaming industry and have nothing else to fall back on to make money. They have to make profit on every item they sell, so in the end for them the using the current popular consumer format is the wise buisness decision.

It does suck that a good amount of people with newer HDTV's are having this issue, This is something that should have been worked out in the first few years of HD life. Sad news is manufactures are just getting cheep on us to compete with eachother, and we are the ones that pay for it in the end.

It's not just with the Wii that looks this way but the DVD players,VCR's and basic television channels that can end up looking bad, even by SD standards.
That however seems to be the cost of supporting cutting edge technology in its infantsy. Most you can do is complain to the company and if they don't do anything about it word of mouth it to your friends how bad they screwed you. In the end they always get what they deserve.

There are ways to fix it though if it really is that bad,it will cost you but still you can buy a nice external upconverter and anything you feel like plugging into it will be upconverted to match your screens resolution.

Or if you need another t.v. anyways now would be a good time to even buy a very cheep spare. I've seen the ED CRT sets go for nothing now that HD is almost standard. We picked up a 36 inch Zenith for barely 200 bucks. Few years ago it would have been in the 500-700 range. Its perfect for the extra consoles and the spare DVD player,VCR and such.

HDTV probably has a good 10-15 years before its 100% supported and you can still watch it on a SD and ED t.v. you just won't notice the differance, so its not like the t.v. will become obsolete anytime soon it just wont be cutting edge. You can get the life outta it and by that time you will probably be in the market for another t.v. to replace your now "old HDTV" and hopefully they have these issues with backwards compatability sorted out by then.
No ones going to stand for it, they are pretty much telling us everything till now is junk throw it out and start over. Not a lot of people are willing to pay twice for the same thing no matter how pretty it ends up being.

Back