If We Bother Nintendo Enough, Maybe HD Support?

It is very likely that if a new Wii were to be released with 1080i or 720p resolutions, then we would have to buy the whole thing, much like the DS and DS lite scenario. That being said, however, it wouldn't surprise me if they did in fact release a new and improved Wii with a more powerful CPU/Video card in a couple of years, when HDTV is more prevalent in homes and more affordable. But they might alienate their own market since the Wii has been quite successful so far, so Nintendo might wait until the next generation to include HD support.

I guess my point is, no one knows except Nintendo. All we can do is wait and see.

disturbed69 said:
yea but think about this....people complained that the wii wasnt going to play dvd's and now ninty is releasing a dvd capable wii....wat if they did the same with high def graphics? they could offer current wii owners a great trade in deal or the choice to ship off their wiis to be modded by ninendo.
They did the same thing with the Gamecube. I saw an article about it somewhere a long time ago, it was an Orange Gamecube and it was bigger, and could play DVDs. I figured all Nintendo would have todo to make the Wii a DVD player is make a download that was a DVD player program. The system can already handle DVDs. The games are DVDs.
But either way, I'll never put a DVD movie in my Wii. I learned from the PS2, it shortens the life span dramatically by switching back and forth from movie to game. I have a DVD player anyway. That's Nintendo's whole basis for not making the Wii a DVD player. It would raise the cost of it, and most people already have a DVD player anyway. Nintendo will not ever make the Wii HD capable, even if everyone in the world boycotts them. Read the press releases. They have said many many times, it's not gonna happen for the Wii.

Last edited:
ok kids.
a 800 mhz processor is that,a 800 mhz processor.
a 200 mhz GPU is that,a 200 mhz GPU.no matter what console,manofacturer,games ect ect.so...

if the xbox was able to render 1080i so the wii. its up to developers.
wii processor its far better than xbox
wii GPU its far better than xbox
wii memory its far better than xbox

Link_ said:
ok kids.
a 800 mhz processor is that,a 800 mhz processor.
a 200 mhz GPU is that,a 200 mhz GPU.no matter what console,manofacturer,games ect ect.so...

if the xbox was able to render 1080i so the wii. its up to developers.
wii processor its far better than xbox
wii GPU its far better than xbox
wii memory its far better than xbox

unfortunatly that is a masssive over simplification of the problems Nintendo would face. A Pentium 800mhz processor may run at around 750 mark and the equivilent AMD processor would run around 600. AMD is usually the better processor, even with a slower cloack speed.

The same goes for ATI and Nvidia at the moment, a lot of Nvidias cards are slower but due to better drivers actually work better.

The GPU in the Xbox I believe was actually better than the one in the Wii, I think it could handle pixel shading and I know the Wii can't.

Toastie said:
unfortunatly that is a masssive over simplification of the problems Nintendo would face. A Pentium 800mhz processor may run at around 750 mark and the equivilent AMD processor would run around 600. AMD is usually the better processor, even with a slower cloack speed.

The same goes for ATI and Nvidia at the moment, a lot of Nvidias cards are slower but due to better drivers actually work better.

The GPU in the Xbox I believe was actually better than the one in the Wii, I think it could handle pixel shading and I know the Wii can't.

Yes all that is true. IF you are looking for graphic supremacy then, no doubt, the Xbox 360 has the upper hand.

I look for gameplay and fun therefore Nintendo win by a clear mile. I'll have the Nintendo then.

I have an HD tv (26 ") and component cables and Zelda looks great on it.
It's a supreme game anyway so the added graphical tweak is just a bonus.

No doubt as games start to come out over the next few years the capabilities of the system will be exploited.

Wow...
Just read this whole thread and some people don't know anything about electronics.

Toastie said:

you know the manofacturer of wii's procesor? and GPU? if you do you have to say that ibm and ati are better(at some point) than pentium and nvidia.but thats not the point.

the point here is that wiis procesor,gpu and memory are not cheap parts from an unknown manofacturer,you can believe the xbox parts are better only bercause all wii have now are GC ports.can you please provide a link where says xbox can handle pixel shading and wii dont?

Nintendo won't release a Wii version2 console or even an update for HD support and all those other fancy graphic options.
For them, this isn't an important issue since Nintendo believe that graphics don't make a game, it's all about gameplay.

The one thing i do find a shame is that they are going (or is already) released a Wii DVD console, capable of playing DVDS and the EURO and US market isn't getting it again at the same time. Bummer.

Back