Wii HD could damage PS3 comeback

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Wedbush Morgan's exhaustive report on the effects of ancillary revenues on the console cycle contains a little nugget that suggests a Wii HD could convince consumers that it's "the last console they will ever need."

The analyst firm suggests that the HD-capable Wii, which is referred to in the paper as "Wii Plus", would also come with a redesigned WIimote that incorporates Motion Plus technology, 1080p output at 60 FPS, and full backwards compatibility with current Wii titles. Oh, and a hard drive too. And all that for close to the US$ 199.99 price point.

So what does this mean for the other consoles? The report says that the advent of the "Wii Plus" could seriously damage Sony's chances for a PS3 comeback for the current console cycle:

In our view, if Nintendo can offer such a device by year-end 2010, it will be in a position to seriously damage Sony’s chances of a comeback this cycle. We would expect publishers to support such a move, given that the cost of porting an Xbox 360 game to the new Wii Plus HD format would likely be lower than the cost of building a ground up Wii game (we estimate under US$ 5 million). Should Nintendo be able to convince publishers like EA and Take-Two that the Wii Plus should be supported by the entire EA Sports catalog and by the next installment of Grand Theft Auto, it should be in a position to successfully convince consumers that the Wii Plus is the last console they will ever need to purchase.

Lots of ifs and shoulds, there. Earlier this month, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata stated that he sees no reason to make a Wii HD, but hey, maybe by next year they'll finally have that reason.

heres the link http://wii.qj.net/Wii-HD-could-damage-PS3-comeback-says-Wedbush-Morgan/pg/49/aid/132568

Last edited:
i really don't see nintendo coming out with an "upgrade" to their current system, especially since it's been out for so long and already has a large install base. it's very unlikely they'd come out with the same thing with upgrades, cuz that would be a big screw you to everyone who already has a wii. they'll just wait till next gen

Yeah I don't think Satoru will change his mind in the next year. They made the conscious decision to make wii not HD and things are going very well so why change. Nintendo wouldn't put out a upgraded wii just to hurt PS3 sales. They don't really see themselves in the same category as the PS3 anymore. Plus if I were to buy another console, the bluray is what would draw me to the PS3. I can't see nintendo upgrading with bluray support after not even having DVD compatibility out of the box.

The analyst firm suggests that the HD-capable Wii, which is referred to in the paper as "Wii Plus", would also come with a redesigned WIimote that incorporates Motion Plus technology, 1080p output at 60 FPS, and full backwards compatibility with current Wii titles. Oh, and a hard drive too. And all that for close to the US$ 199.99 price point.

Boy, he sure does like to dream, especially with that price point. Anything new that comes from a company nowadays usually means a price hike or a stalled price (DSi, PSP Go, Xbox Elite, etc)

Why bother? Nintendo has the number one selling console on the market, it has a perfect price point, and Wii is the only console that makes money when they sell it as opposed to making a loss, and it is genuinely fun to play.

Nintendo does not need a more powerful console, they need developers who are willing to push the limits of, not only the systems finite graphical hardware, but it's unique control scheme. And that library seems to get better every year...

I will say this though, with the cash they are putting away with the first gen of Wii, their next console will be a beast...

Nintendo does not need a more powerful console, they need developers who are willing to push the limits of, not only the systems finite graphical hardware, but it's unique control scheme. And that library seems to get better every year...
Miyamoto stated that there would have been Wii Speak compatibility in Super Mario Bros. Wii, but the ****ing 2 DIMENSION GAME (may be 2.5D) was already pushing the processor too much, so it wasn't included! How can they push the limits any more?

Same way they do it with any other console, as it gets older they devs. come up with ways to "trick" the hardware into doing things with less resources. The Conduit has Wii speak and is certainly a more graphically intense game the Mario Bros.

Devs. simply become more efficient with the hardware.

This guy is right in that Wii HD has potential to REALLY stick it to the competition, especially to the struggling PS3.

I'm not yet convinced it would prevent PS3 from making a comeback, though. So much stuff is under the PS3's hood that I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would prefer a Wii HD...especially if PS3 gets a price cut. Also remember that Sony follows the 10-year product lifecycle. Finally, PS3's motion controller tech is very 1:1 accurate already. I could see the Wii HD directly competing with PS3 in this regard.

This guy is right in that Wii HD has potential to REALLY stick it to the competition, especially to the struggling PS3.

I'm not yet convinced it would prevent PS3 from making a comeback, though. So much stuff is under the PS3's hood that I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would prefer a Wii HD...especially if PS3 gets a price cut. Also remember that Sony follows the 10-year product lifecycle. Finally, PS3's motion controller tech is very 1:1 accurate already. I could see the Wii HD directly competing with PS3 in this regard.

I don't see the PS3 being nailed to the ground with those upgrades. Nintendo now needs the games, not the hardware to support it. For any PS3 or 360 owner, Nintendo would have to do A LOT to bring those owners back. It's the same the other way as well. The PS3/360 are so distant from the Wii now, it won't make a bit of a difference.

Nintendo really needs to reach out to the community, as I've found the community of the Xbox outside of the gaming to be excellent. They help smaller websites and community by sending staff members to each website. They give away different codes to promote the sites as well, which I'll admit, lured me to those sites.

Last edited:
redesigned WIimote that incorporates Motion Plus technology, 1080p output at 60 FPS, and full backwards compatibility with current Wii titles. Oh, and a hard drive too. And all that for close to the US$ 199.99 price point.

bsahaha

nintendo prefers to make money on their consoles

I trush in the Michael Pachter's predictions, I think he believe in the Wii HD becose he was in a secret meeting with Sotoru Iwata and he told him about the super secret next-gen Nintendo console by the end of 2010 like a surprise for the Nintendo's fans. This console with high hardware specs, far better motion controls and an outstanding online server infrastructure marks the beginning of the end for the xbox360 and the ps3, and finally the absolute Nintendo DOMINATION like the NES era.

No offense Stickmode...but you're a fanboy.
I don't think Nintendo would release an upgrade to their current console, rather stupid and would infuriate owners of current Wii's. In the next hardware cycle Nintendo should release an upgraded Wii but with much more than just HD...you know, borrow some stuff the 360/PS3 has. If Nintendo release Wii2 with HD then they should have it in the bag.

it wouldnt surprise me much. look at what they have done with the DS->DS lite->DSi. although im not sure its the right move. they would be better off putting their efforts into a new console for 2012 and having developers start working on those games in the next year. wii is already successful for this gen. xbox 360 will have their next gen console out by 2011/2012 and some are predicting this might even be 2010. nintendo needs a better processor, HD support, and a better online system with voice support in their new system. i think their motion controls are awesome but im sure they could be upgraded with wii motion or something even better by that time.

if they did come out with a new wii hd, i dont think any games would be released that were not supported by the current wii, otherwise this would be a new console release, which wouldnt be smart this soon. so there would still probably be no street fighter 4, CoD MW2, etc.....

redesigned WIimote that incorporates Motion Plus technology
They should just make a Wiimote Plus, and have it compatible with the normal wii. Just like everyone else said, it'll make the current wii owners upset to have to buy a new console.

Back