Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Wii HD could damage PS3 comeback

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii Gaming' started by castlezelda, Jun 30, 2009.

1. castlezelda

castlezelda WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    heres the link http://wii.qj.net/Wii-HD-could-damage-PS3-comeback-says-Wedbush-Morgan/pg/49/aid/132568

#1 castlezelda, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. Sterculius

Sterculius WiiChat Member

i really don't see nintendo coming out with an "upgrade" to their current system, especially since it's been out for so long and already has a large install base. it's very unlikely they'd come out with the same thing with upgrades, cuz that would be a big screw you to everyone who already has a wii. they'll just wait till next gen

3. Skorp

Skorp WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 2652-0001-8231-6800
    2652-0001-8231-6800
    Yeah I don't think Satoru will change his mind in the next year. They made the conscious decision to make wii not HD and things are going very well so why change. Nintendo wouldn't put out a upgraded wii just to hurt PS3 sales. They don't really see themselves in the same category as the PS3 anymore. Plus if I were to buy another console, the bluray is what would draw me to the PS3. I can't see nintendo upgrading with bluray support after not even having DVD compatibility out of the box.

4. RivalDestiny

RivalDestiny WiiChat Member
    Staff Member

Wii Friend Code: 0409-5781-9484-0073
    0409-5781-9484-0073
    Boy, he sure does like to dream, especially with that price point. Anything new that comes from a company nowadays usually means a price hike or a stalled price (DSi, PSP Go, Xbox Elite, etc)

5. gpwasr10

gpwasr10 WiiChat Member

Why bother? Nintendo has the number one selling console on the market, it has a perfect price point, and Wii is the only console that makes money when they sell it as opposed to making a loss, and it is genuinely fun to play.

Nintendo does not need a more powerful console, they need developers who are willing to push the limits of, not only the systems finite graphical hardware, but it's unique control scheme. And that library seems to get better every year...

I will say this though, with the cash they are putting away with the first gen of Wii, their next console will be a beast...

6. ROB64

ROB64 40lb box of rape

Wii Friend Code: 0120-6723-8776-4093
    0120-6723-8776-4093
    Miyamoto stated that there would have been Wii Speak compatibility in Super Mario Bros. Wii, but the ****ing 2 DIMENSION GAME (may be 2.5D) was already pushing the processor too much, so it wasn't included! How can they push the limits any more?

7. gpwasr10

gpwasr10 WiiChat Member

Same way they do it with any other console, as it gets older they devs. come up with ways to "trick" the hardware into doing things with less resources. The Conduit has Wii speak and is certainly a more graphically intense game the Mario Bros.

Devs. simply become more efficient with the hardware.

8. Bio

Bio WiiChat Member

This guy is right in that Wii HD has potential to REALLY stick it to the competition, especially to the struggling PS3.

I'm not yet convinced it would prevent PS3 from making a comeback, though. So much stuff is under the PS3's hood that I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would prefer a Wii HD...especially if PS3 gets a price cut. Also remember that Sony follows the 10-year product lifecycle. Finally, PS3's motion controller tech is very 1:1 accurate already. I could see the Wii HD directly competing with PS3 in this regard.

9. RivalDestiny

RivalDestiny WiiChat Member
    Staff Member

Wii Friend Code: 0409-5781-9484-0073
    0409-5781-9484-0073
    I don't see the PS3 being nailed to the ground with those upgrades. Nintendo now needs the games, not the hardware to support it. For any PS3 or 360 owner, Nintendo would have to do A LOT to bring those owners back. It's the same the other way as well. The PS3/360 are so distant from the Wii now, it won't make a bit of a difference.

Nintendo really needs to reach out to the community, as I've found the community of the Xbox outside of the gaming to be excellent. They help smaller websites and community by sending staff members to each website. They give away different codes to promote the sites as well, which I'll admit, lured me to those sites.

#9 RivalDestiny, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  10. rukus

rukus WiiChat Member

bsahaha

nintendo prefers to make money on their consoles

11. stickmode

stickmode WiiChat Member

I trush in the Michael Pachter's predictions, I think he believe in the Wii HD becose he was in a secret meeting with Sotoru Iwata and he told him about the super secret next-gen Nintendo console by the end of 2010 like a surprise for the Nintendo's fans. This console with high hardware specs, far better motion controls and an outstanding online server infrastructure marks the beginning of the end for the xbox360 and the ps3, and finally the absolute Nintendo DOMINATION like the NES era.

12. Ryu.27

Ryu.27 SHIN-SHORYUKEN!

Wii Friend Code: 4528-4182-4369-8205
    4528-4182-4369-8205
    No offense Stickmode...but you're a fanboy.
    I don't think Nintendo would release an upgrade to their current console, rather stupid and would infuriate owners of current Wii's. In the next hardware cycle Nintendo should release an upgraded Wii but with much more than just HD...you know, borrow some stuff the 360/PS3 has. If Nintendo release Wii2 with HD then they should have it in the bag.

13. baldbull

baldbull WiiChat Member

it wouldnt surprise me much. look at what they have done with the DS->DS lite->DSi. although im not sure its the right move. they would be better off putting their efforts into a new console for 2012 and having developers start working on those games in the next year. wii is already successful for this gen. xbox 360 will have their next gen console out by 2011/2012 and some are predicting this might even be 2010. nintendo needs a better processor, HD support, and a better online system with voice support in their new system. i think their motion controls are awesome but im sure they could be upgraded with wii motion or something even better by that time.

if they did come out with a new wii hd, i dont think any games would be released that were not supported by the current wii, otherwise this would be a new console release, which wouldnt be smart this soon. so there would still probably be no street fighter 4, CoD MW2, etc.....

14. raisinghelen

raisinghelen WiiChat Member

Sony don't need any help from Nintendo in damaging the PS3, they do it quite well enough on their own.

15. LightUp33

LightUp33 : Fixation

Wii Friend Code: 7969-0177-6024-3216
    7969-0177-6024-3216
    They should just make a Wiimote Plus, and have it compatible with the normal wii. Just like everyone else said, it'll make the current wii owners upset to have to buy a new console.

16. gpwasr10

gpwasr10 WiiChat Member

Let us not forget how Sega pissed off the owners of the Saturn when they jumped ship early to support the DC. Even though the DC was in every way a better console then anything else out there at the time, it infuriated both Devs. and Gamers that they had to reinvest in a whole new bunch of hardware. Backwards compatibility would soften the blow, but not enough to make it a hurt free proposition for Nintendo.

The Wii is the best selling console of this generation, and the software gets better all the time. Games like Metroid Prime 3, Madworld, and Deadly Creatures are unique and excellent titles that are only on Wii. COD: WAW, Star Wars: TFU and Ghostbusters were all better on the Wii IMHO (and I have played them on all other systems), even though this is a matter of opinion on my part, there are respected reviews that agree with me on the matter.

So the titles are coming, and the Devs are jumping on the Wii bandwagon, and are getting crafty with the hardware.

I just see no reason for Nintendo to make a HD move right now...

17. MCL

MCL Les Enfants Terribles

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Well, Wii HD is probably gonna come out. They are planning to do that so wii can last long in the 7th generation of consoles. I really do hate the thought of buying another wii though.

18. Ryu.27

Ryu.27 SHIN-SHORYUKEN!

Wii Friend Code: 4528-4182-4369-8205
    4528-4182-4369-8205
    Wii HD'll come out next generation, and since it has both graphics & awesome controls it should be an easy win.

19. MCL

MCL Les Enfants Terribles

Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    Actually I read somewhere there might not be a next generation of consoles, since ps3 and 360 can update itself. But it said they'll still release wii HD to catch up with the graphics. Well when I meant there might not be a next gen, I meant that this gen will last much longer or in other words, "a virtual lifetime"

20. Widescreen

Widescreen WiiChat Member

You can't "update" CPU's and graphics chipsets in consoles. Well, you might technically be able to but it's not feasible.