30yo gamer looks forward to playing FPS's on a console for the first time

DavidBeoulve

Father of four Wii kids
Nov 14, 2006
United States of America
Feel free to skim/skip sections.

My Background
I have played First-Person Shooters since I downloaded the Demo of Castle Wolfenstein on a Bulliten Board System over phone lines before the Internet was "unleashed" around 1992-1993. I was the first among my friends to properly separate my keys in DOOM so I could strafe and circle them at the same time, killing them.

Quake took me by surprise, and it was a year before I figured out the mouse. But I've never looked back.

Why FPS with your Thumbs is Dumb
I bought a "SmartJoy FRAG" (which allowed for emulated Mouse and Keyboard controls on the XBOX) from Lik-Sang (which Sony killed) and got on Halo 2 with my cousin, who was once in the top 50 U.S. Players. He showed me where the guns were and in two games, my percentage score went from 3-4% to 93%. The other guys on LIVE thought we were lying and I had handed off my "controller" (well, I had, for the SmartJoy FRAG) to another person.

It proved for me, once and for all, that trying to aim a crosshair with your thumbs was stupid. Thumbs are not naturally dexterous appendiges - they grab things. When you use your thumbs in PS2 and XBOX FPS games, you are essentially trying to align two crosshairs - one involving movement, the other aim, at a moving target. I tip my hat at folks who, like my cousin, can do this.

The PC
All the while, I've had to get my FPS gaming on my PC. Half-Life 2 and its MODs "Day of Defeat", "Counter-Strike" and lesser knowns have been my main-stay.

The XBOX
I own an XBOX and have never bought an FPS for it other than Halo 2, which I ultimately gave to my cousin when he broke his (stepped on it, dumb-ass). I ended up buying a PS2 because so many games for the XBOX were all FPS... with your thumbs!

Enter, the Wii
It could have problems - it's all about the bounding area, but I've read that Metroid has it solved. I must admit I'm actually enticed - far beyong the PS3's promise of allowing a USB keyboard and mouse for playing Unreal Tournament 2007. In that case, Sony said "Developers have the option of supporting a mouse and keyboard." Glee. That means, many won't.

We all know that whatever COMES with a console BECOMES the standard. No add-on has ever succeeded to become saturated in the existing market. That's why the N64 had four controller ports (I never owned one because I thought cartridges were stupid compared to CDs, until my cousin sold me his).

So anyway... that's my take.
It is the first time since the mouse entered the picture that a good control scheme has been cooked up - because I have never seen a gun game that allowed for completely free movement as we are used to in our FPS game (correct me if I'm wrong).

This can't be a bad thing, and the Wii should change what controllers we see in the future.

I totally agree. I've tried to play first person shooters where you have to use both of your thumbs and it is the most retarded way to play a game ever. I've never played the all-praised Halo because of it. My mind just doesn't work like that. Probably the best FPS that I've ever played, and I haven't played many, was Soldier of Fortune on PC. Using the keyboard to walk and the mouse to aim was so easy I was kickin' ass and takin' names in minutes. Then I tried it on PS2 and it blew chickens. Maybe I'll have to get back into FPS games now with the advent of the Wii control scheme.

Usability shows that folks can get used to many things - that doesn't make it desireable. It was just our only option if we want(ed, past tense) to play FPS games on our consoles.

Of course developers only develop for what everyone has (being, whatever comes with the system, not multi-taps or optional USB keyboards and mice). Microsoft's stance on "No Keyboard or Mouse on the XBOX 360, EVER, to keep 'Live' fair" indicates just how ingrained these views had become.

Fortunately, the Wii might change that.

never played a fps on a console before either. never even owned a console for myself but i have played on my brothers NES, SNES, N64 and GC. not sure what to really expect with red steel which will be one of my first games. sure it will take some getting used to because im used to playing with mouse and keyboard as i used to play fps' competitively at a fairly high level games such as cod, rtcw and mohaa.

a FPS shooter on a Wii is totally different than any other console ever, other than duck hunt and other copies, even PC, its like you're actually holding a gun. its gonna be sweet

Yeah Zilly, I try to contain the enthusiasm in me that you already have :)

Epikon: how well the Wii converts us PC FPS folks will tell just how good the usability factor really is!

/edit:/ okay, actually, running a usability study would do that, but we can pretend!

Last edited:
TOTALLY agree!!
i also started off on wolfenstein and was hooked ever since. i also REALLY like arcade shooters like the Time Crisis or House of the Dead seires, ive ALWAYS tried to think of a way to join these two together, i used to think how cool it would be to have a computer joystick and like the duck hunt gun working together...

looks like we have that now!!!!!!

Really the most important thing the Wii can do for gaming is 2 or 3 things:

1) Bring back women gamers (who we lost in the mid 80's as games became more violent) and casual gamers (who don't like complicated/involved games, not just gamers with less time on their hands). This could be counted as two deals, but I think they're closely related.

2) Completely change the way console controllers are made, and vanquish the evil gamepads.

Back