480i or 480p?

paintba||er said:
@Zarogan: No, there are CRT HD and ED TVs and they generally have a better picture quality than LCD, in fact I have a 30" CRT HDTV in my living room.
But do they make 16:9 compatible CTR TVs? I'd love to play my wii in widescreen.

paintba||er said:

Yes. Mine is, and most HDTVs are. There are also some SDTVs that are 16:9.
K, thanks, it's good to know, but I'm gonna have a hard time finding one of those here in Chile =P

ciper said:
Look for a Sony XBR set. Arguably the best HD CRTs commonly available. You can find them in 32 36 and 40 inch and they support 1080i over component.
Ok, I'll try.
Thanks a lot to everyone, you've been very helpful :)

yer sorry
didn't realise that the cable was about £20
mixed up the chip with the cable

got mine this morin after ordering it yesterday

only cost £7
including postage

one pointer
the mii's look pixelated in High Def,
but that's coz the normall picture is in bad quality when made,
so HD makes it look worse as it has amplified the small pixels

A digital projector would be a good investment for that. It is compatible with all resolution and it is size adjustable depending on your party size. I saw one XGA projector on sale for $499 last weekend. Not sure if it comes with component ports/adapter cable or not.

480p

sl2obel2ts said:
I got a 32" 720p hdtv... I am currently using 480i the regular cable that nintendo gave me. wow... its blurry. will it improve if I get the component cable?

IF your TV has an extra component input, it's certainly worth hooking up your Wii with that input. I just bought the Wii component cable setup for around $10 on the web and it does improve the picture although it's nowhere near Playstation 3 or Xbox360, it is better than the 480i mode. The only game I presently have is the Sports package, but maybe regular games (like Tiger Woods) or future games will take advantage of better definition with the 480p mode.

However, it's also certainly not worth buying another TV with HD just to run the Wii in 480p mode. Most of the early HD tv's had limited high definition inputs. My Sharp 37" is about 4 years old and it only has a HDMI and a component input. I am using the HDMI for my cable and I was using the component input for my Tivo recorder. Since I seldom use the Tivo on this TV, it has now been downgraded to A/V input for now.

Last edited:
wiisgood said:
although it's nowhere near Playstation 3 or Xbox360, it is better.

you may want to re-word that sentence. it sounds like you said the wii is better than the standards of ps3 and 360 when it comes to graphics. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok guys

i got my component cable for 6 bux including shipping from amazon. works great.

i stated my question wrong when I started the thread. the question would be is there difference between composite and component cables...

There is a significant difference between composite and component cables as I experienced for last 5 hours. wow... on my 32" 720P lcd, it looks very good with component cables.

however 480i and 480p on component cables, I can barely notice any difference. maybe my eyes are just bad. oh boy, everything looks clear with component cables. definitely worth getting it if you got HD set up!:lol:

sl2obel2ts said:
ok guys

i got my component cable for 6 bux including shipping from amazon. works great.

i stated my question wrong when I started the thread. the question would be is there difference between composite and component cables...

There is a significant difference between composite and component cables as I experienced for last 5 hours. wow... on my 32" 720P lcd, it looks very good with component cables.

however 480i and 480p on component cables, I can barely notice any difference. maybe my eyes are just bad. oh boy, everything looks clear with component cables. definitely worth getting it if you got HD set up!:lol:

Ok I think you are a little misunderstood on what you are seeing. Even though you LCD is 720P your Wii is only capable of displaying 480P with the component cables. Regardless I think you answered your own question. Remember every TV is different and some look good and some look normal. It all depends on the TV.

Back