manred

Animal Collective
Dec 30, 2007
Wherever Fate Takes Me
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Lol, this to me sounds pretty cool.

sunflowerphone.jpg

Old cellphones and other gadgets are currently seen as an environmental hazard, with landfills filling up with toxic tech that's not doing the planet any favors. But if a group of British scientists have their way, new cellphones could simply be tossed on the ground when you're done with them, as they'd just decompose and sprout pretty flowers after not too long.

This would happen thanks to a "special biodegradable polymer which is completely functional under normal working conditions, yet starts to rapidly decompose when placed in compost." So once you toss the phone into compost, the case would disintegrate after a couple of weeks, and the sunflower seed inside would sprout up, bringing life where before there was none.

Only one problem: the fancy polymer would only be the case itself, all the guts of the phone would be there in the compost heap pollutin' things up like before. So yeah, while it's great that the plastic cases would be able to be composted, there's still a ways to go before you can throw your phone out the window of a speeding car without feeling bad about it.

Source:http://gizmodo.com/356051/a-cellphone-that-disintegrates-and-sprouts-flowers-at-long-last

Lol, so weird...They didn't totally think that through, now did they?

Yeah come on whats the point of it
Oh lets rip the insides of the phone out and then plant the case! ( that would win the nobel prize)

great idea but doubt it actually happen. and my question is wat keeps the seed fresh inside the phone?

Seeds stay good and able to germinate for long periods of time you would be surprised to hear how long some seeds can stay "alive"

Back