A racial slur used often on wiichat with no consequence

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciper

May 1, 2007
▐▄█▀█▄▌
I'm not naming names because I don't want to be a hard ass but the word "Jap" is used all the time on this forum and none of the Mods seem to care. I have nothing against one country but it seems our friends from Australia are the worse about it.

Can I suggest that everyone use the standard abbreviations of either "JP" or "JPN" instead and "Jap" be added to the filter?

Thanks.

I cannot believe you two. Are you japanese? Did you get your home and business taken away from you and forced to live in an internment camp? Would you call an african american a "******" just because it doesnt sound bad to you?

edit: Run this page through a translator. It is the Japanese dictionary's definition of the term "jap"
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search.php?MT=%A5%B8%A5%E3%A5%C3%A5%D7&kind=jn&mode=1

Last edited:
ciper said:
Are you japanese? Did you get your home and business taken away from you and forced to live in an internment camp? Would you call an african american a "******" just because it doesnt sound bad to you?
I don't see what that has to do with anything. I don't think "Jap" is much different from calling someone white or black. It is just not offensive.

ciper said:
Are you japanese? Did you get your home and business taken away from you and forced to live in an internment camp? Would you call an african american a "******" just because it doesnt sound bad to you?
not a good comparission considering half of the Gunits these days call themselves that. however i agree with most of the people above that the word jap is not offensive

Almo said:
not a good comparission considering half of the Gunits these days call themselves that. however i agree with most of the people above that the word jap is not offensive

I'm sure any Japanese people you meet would understand that you don't think its offensive making it ok :scared:

Since most of the g-units call themselves that I also suggest you use the term because its not offensive right?

edit:
I've already linked you to a japanese dictionary that says the term is negative so I guess a link to an english dictionary is needed?
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/jap

Last edited:
paintba||er said:
All of you people make race into too big of a thing.

"All you people" being the dictionary writers?
Even wikipedia agrees with me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

I have cited 2+ reputable sources. Here is another great one

JACL "National civil rights advocacy organization for people of Japanese American descent" Eastern Governor Clyde Nishimura says -
The word `Jap' is equivalent to `******,' `Chink' and `Hymie,' he said. "When you put it into that context and ask people if they'd put up a sign with those words, they'd say, `Of course not.' `Jap' is no different, and that's what people have to realize."

Last edited:
its the same as calling a caucasian person "white" and an african (african american or not) person "black." its just shortening the name of it. should i get offended when people call me Mitch? my full name is Mitchell after all. i just dont see how it can be offensive. infact, it being offensive never even crossed my mind untill you mentioned it

Last edited:
I Truly Do Not See The Problem In The Term "Jap"!

Its A Shorter Form Of Japanese. That's It... Nothing Else...

Mexican=Mex As I've Heard... Couple Of Other Similar Ones Too...

it still sounds stupid to me. i dont see how calling anyone by a shortened version of something they are being a racial slur. i can understand "******," "chink," and "Hymie" but "jap?" i still stand by what i said in my previous post untill i see a japaneese person say it is offensive.

I really don't see why people get offended over such stupid things. People can call me a cracker or something and I just laugh my ass off. You can say whatever you want about my race, because I don't care and don't think it matters so why does everyone else? It seems white people are the ones that get offended, even when it isn't their race. But seriously, if you don't see people different because of their race, then none of this should matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back