Affirmative Action?

Correct, we don't have the "don't ask, don't tell" policy here. The police and the military both allow openly gay people to join.

Hmm, interesting.

Anyway, what would possibly make a black cop any better than a white one?

Clearly if we can elect a Black President, either affirmative action is much too powerful, or it's time to get rid of it. Either way. GET RID OF IT.

as an asian american high school student, affirmative action seems pretty daunting in terms of college applications.

opportunities, educational or not, should be granted based solely on MERIT rather than on racial quotas.

its trying to balance out previous un justices with new un justices, but for a different player. So depending on what time scale you look at it can be seen as fair or unfair.
But to me its free money or an extra edge so I'll take it haha!
Brawny you're Asian, you don't like free money? I am half chinese, we love this kind of stuff haha.

Tough subject. I'm all for the better (more educated, better suited for the job) person beat me out than to get beat out of a job because of affirmative action. I'm not racist in any way, shape, or form but I think affirmative action is directly against equal opportunity. To me equal opportunity represents everyone is able to apply for a job, however the most qualified should get the job, not everyone is able to apply for a job, however if we don't have enough *insert race here* then we will hire them.

But thats just my
penny.gif
penny.gif

One question, does one get told that they got in because of affirmative action? Because it seems that a lot of people don't like it in principle, but I'm not completely convinced that it's always used.

Of course, we've used meritocracy in the past, however it usually maintains the class system, whereby people with money get better education, get better qualifications and therefore get better jobs.

Coming from an impoverished background, with a heavy emphasis on the state school system in the UK, I find I'm automatically at a disadvantage because of the failings of the overwhelmed state school system. In essence, I'm at an automatic disadvantage because of my original social background. Whilst it is not impossible for me to become more successful, and even earn social mobility, it does mean that I'm more likely to be unsuccessful in that task.

Affirmative action is social engineering. To be fair, social engineering isn't necessarily bad. And let's face it, no society that exists at the moment is perfect, sometimes not even close - so perhaps something to shake up society's structure would be a good thing...

Supposedly colleges don't have quotas on race but they also want to look really diverse, which is why you have to fill out your race/ethnicity..
I think they do have quotas though, disguised.

I think social engineering is need too. I'm not from an impoverished neighborhood but I have relatives in Chicago that know how the public education systems are, which is why they go to a private school. Which is unfair to the ones that can't afford it.

Supposedly colleges don't have quotas on race but they also want to look really diverse, which is why you have to fill out your race/ethnicity..
I think they do have quotas though, disguised.
In the UK, you are not under obligation to disclose your race/ethnicity. They have a "do not wish to specify" box. (not too sure about the census though).

Also there have been people who put down Jedi as race/religion/ethnicity. I'm wondering how many Jedi's companies have to employ legally? Lol.

Not sure if they have anything similar in the US though.

I actually don't think that many people use this, because I would assume that employers want the best out of the company, and in turn, they have to employ the people who are best suited for the job. The employer themself can have their own opinion even if it is racist, so it's really just based on their decision whether to employ them or not. This is why it is best for people to interview in groups of two, although more intimidating. I don't think that they'd make you walk out of the room and jump out with "Psst, we should let this guy in because he's black", I think that they'd disagree with it morally. If they went through a difficult process to get where they were in their job, then they're going to make sure you're on the same playing field.

As for schools, they pretty much accept anyone who can pay for it.

Back