Ahh for the love of god "wii connection cable myths"

wezeles

Guru of everything Ninty
Feb 12, 2007
Michigan, USA
Wii Online Code
6074-3351-1151-1701
ok guys not sure how this got out of hand but ive seen on multiple post that componet will give you better sound, that you dont get stereo sound with s-video, all this huplah about which connection is better driving me nuts..

ok first off for sound... the wii doesnt have digital or coax audio it only has Stereo.. thats the white and red RCA cables.. no matter what setup you have you will have the same sound comming out of the wii unless for some reason you have a cheep t.v. with mono input..

now your sound can only be improved with gold cables.. most decent componet cables are gold.. to get a good picture gold is one of the better conductors.. but it also works with sound.. so if you buy a set of componet cables make sure you get a gold set all around audio and video
for the best quality your wii can give you

1. best.. componet gold

2. second best would be componet not platted in gold

in componet you have 6 channels for the video

2 for red tube
2 for blue tube
2 for green tube

these three colors make up the picture of every t.v. more signlas better picture

still using the 2 channels for sound red and white stereo RCA cables nothing here changes over the other setups except cable quality

3. third best would be wii cables using s-video and the stereo sound

s-video runs off 4 signals for your picture

so it runs 4 channels for the 3 colors good picture
its the first upgrade to a digital picture not the best but alot of times on lower end t.v's its all they offer for it

4. the standard setup "comes with the wii" composite
3 RCA cables 1 yellow for video 2 red and white for sound

this is the lowest you can go only sends 2 signals to all 3 color tubes gets the job done but you will notice the difference in the pictures color and sharpness
still uses the same stereo red and white RCA's for sound

now if this is all your t.v. will support you can make it better as stated eairlier with gold cables.. even in the composite mode of 3 RCA's... gold cables will always make it a little better

so all sound on the wii is the same.. the only differance is the video format.. and any of them can be improved by using gold cables for sound and video.. so far its the only ones ive seen on the market there are other high end cables made from other metals that work better than gold but i have not noticed anyone making them for the wii..

hope that clears it up, glad i could use my t.v. production degree for something..

Last edited:
it was eaither this or jump off a building.. already pulled all my hair out with the dumb theories ive read.. ha ha

Thanks for the info man. Further down the road when I get an HDTV, I'll know what cables to get for the new connection between my Wii and the TV. Sweet....Good looking out.

Great post, except that "composite" means the single yellow video cable. "Component" is the word you're looking for for the YPbPr cables. But like I said, great post about the differences between the three! :thumbsup:

Good post but to bad its wrong or just a little off about the sound.If you dont think it makes your sound better come over to my house and Ill let you listen to it your self.First off on the Wii settings it has to sound settings,surround and stereo if it didnt support it it couldnt have surround sound.I will plug up my Wii just using the RCA cables and let you listen then I will plug the HD cables in to my Wii and let you listen.If you dont think it sounds better you just cant hear bro.I have numerous of my friends and family over and they all know it helps the sound.
Now saying this if it doesnt support sound upgrades why does it make the sound better.Now dont say i have a cheap TV because I dont I have a 52 inch RCA plasma TV,so it isnt the TV.Now if you can some how explain to me why my sound is better after the HD cables are plugged in I may agree with you.But until then I still think it makes the sound better because I trust my ears more than you.

The only difference might be in the shielding. You could be getting more interference from other cables/devices with the standard cables than the more expensively shielded component ones. There shouldn't be any actual upgrade considering it's the same exact input to the same exact output for audio.

because your componet cables are probably better quality RCA sound cables than the RCA sound cables that come with the Wii like i said the quality of cables can make any of the connections better... ive seen some basic setups that look better than componet cables just because of the difference in quality of cables...

when it comes to it you want to use the highest level of format your t.v. can support with the highest quality of cables you can afford...

sorry about the composite componet part.. typed myself to death there..lol

Last edited:
here is a good site to give you an idea of quality cables and the difference between a 20 dollar set of cables and a 120 dollar set of cables.. quality can makes as much as a differance as format... http://www.bettercables.com

no point using a higher format cable if your not willing to spend the money to get a good set...

my latest wii cables are 75 bucks for gold componet and stereo... pretty good and for the t.v. in my gameroom about as best as i could use.. the t.v. itself can also make a big difference same with you surround sound setup.. alot of factors..

its all going to be based on how much your willing to spend on cables, and what kinda cables you can support...

probably because its a better sound cable then the wii gives you... they will do anything to save a buck...

cables make the difference in everything audio and video.. look at competition stereo guys for there cars.. using 0 gauge gold plated wires.. the wires alone cost more than most people spend on a car..lol

Last edited:
Back