Am I a "Tight Wad"? Looking on Ebay for Games

I think if you limit yourself to people who only have 100+ feedback or 100% positive, you're severely (and unnecessarily) limiting yourself.

I've been buying & selling on eBay for 8 years, but I don't do a ton. I'm just approaching 60 feedback. I had one loser who gave me negative feedback after I gave him neutral, accusing me of "maliciously leaving neutral feedback", as if there's anything malicious about neutral (I did it because he charged a ridiculous amount of shipping for what amounted to a 39-cent stamp, and took FOREVER to mail it out). So as a result of that one negative mark, I'm at 98.3%. I take my auctions very seriously though... pay fast when I buy, ship fast via UPS w/ tracking #s and the whole deal when I ship. And I've gotten lots of comments on my fine packing skills. :)

There are douchebags on eBay, but don't judge someone solely by their feedback score. Look into it more before you write them off... the person to avoid might be the jerk who left them the negative feedback, not them themselves.

That's completely understandable. I don't understand how one seller can charge $8.00 to ship a game while a different seller will only charge $3.00 to ship?

Sellers pad the shipping since they don't pay eBay fees based on the shipping cost, only the sell price. So you might have a game that sells for $35 with $5 shipping, and another that sells for $20 with $20 shipping. The latter pays much lower final auction fees.

It's still slimey, though. I use the automatic shipping calc. That way I'm not screwed over taking a risk on some flat-rate shipping amount, and also the buyer doesn't feel like they're getting scammed on shipping costs. It also allows me to offer multiple shipping methods and the buyer can just choose which one they want when they pay.

Personally, I think that eBay is another term for Scamsville. I have never bought anything from that site, but I know of friends who have had very bad experiences in the past, so I would avoid that site at all costs.

Yeah its true that p+p charges are invariably unreasonable , but if you are smart and only buy from users who have credable feedback scores then u should be ok .
High street gameshops are not exactly shy of ripping you off for trade ins etc at least on ebay you can find real bargains , especially for gamecube , xbox games and such .

I HATE people that say "EBAY IS EVIL!! DON'T SHOP THERE!!". It has alot of good users, but alot of scumbags too. You should just be careful who you pick :smilewinkgrin:

Elfman said:
I HATE people that say "EBAY IS EVIL!! DON'T SHOP THERE!!". It has alot of good users, but alot of scumbags too. You should just be careful who you pick :smilewinkgrin:
hes right an seirously try to get your facts sthraight before you blurt out non-sense. My dad wont let me buy anything from E-bay because he thinks that its a scam when a lot of my friends are members and if you do get chipped you can issue a warant. sheesh. But ive read their policies, terms and conditions, and rules.

Last edited:
MRCOOLGH said:
hes right an seirously try to get your facts sthraight befor you blurt out non-sense. My dad wont let me buy anything from E-bay...
So let me get this straight: you're someone who's never used eBay and is so young as to be under your dad's rule, and someone is supposed to listen to your opinion of eBay over those of us adults who have used eBay regularly for years? I'd be careful of who you insult.

sremick said:
So let me get this straight: you're someone who's never used eBay and is so young as to be under your dad's rule, and someone is supposed to listen to your opinion of eBay over those of us adults who have used eBay regularly for years? I'd be careful of who you insult.

you should be careful too...... I may not have used E-bay but i read their policies,terms and conditions, and rules so i know what im saying.

Well I'm gave Ebay a try for buying used games. Earlier today I won an auction for a used "Red Steel" Wii game. I got it for a total of $15 and that includes shipping. The seller has 1892 transactions and has a positive feeback score of 98.9%. If the deal goes bad, I'm out of only $15. We'll see what happens.

oh and to add to this subject i'm selling madden 08 (wii) on ebay right now. pm me for the link to that auction. right now it's at like $5.00 i think and 5.99 shipping. or buy it now for $45.00 and i'll give you madden 07 with it.but yea i've probably bought 5-10 games off of ebay and they've all worked fine.

My first and last experience at ebay happened when I bought madden 08 for $30 with shipping. I used the buy it now so it was done in 30 sec. Next day, I get a message saying sorry, I broke it and I will refund your money. REFUND MY @**. Took him 1 week. Next day, I get identity theft saying I payed 1,000 at a restaurant in New York (same place as the seller was). I'm sure they have no connection but all I know is that there is 1 less person buying from ebay.

Renz said:
My first and last experience at ebay happened when I bought madden 08 for $30 with shipping. I used the buy it now so it was done in 30 sec. Next day, I get a message saying sorry, I broke it and I will refund your money. REFUND MY @**. Took him 1 week. Next day, I get identity theft saying I payed 1,000 at a restaurant in New York (same place as the seller was). I'm sure they have no connection but all I know is that there is 1 less person buying from ebay.
And what was the feedback level of the seller? What percentage of that was positive? Better yet, what was his username so we can check his history ourselves?

eBay is like the real world. Most people are good, but you get losers. Buyer beware. eBay provides all sorts of tools for you to make informed, educated, smart decisions on who to buy from (and who not to) but they won't stop you from making bad decisions, if you insist on exercising your adult right to do so. But then it's not eBay's fault.

Back