Any tech wiz

leafhound

WiiChat Member
Jul 11, 2007
:) hi, I'm trying to connect a wii to the internet but not got a clue,

It's broadband with a high speed modem cable running from the phone socket into the modem, from the modem is one cable with a usb connection going into the pc
adsl_800.jpg

The extras i have bought are a XBOX360 (straight through) ethernet cable fitted with RJ45 connectors that connects a console to a modem for online gaming.
The other thing is a USB LAN adaptor.
6528df1569.jpg

I run the cable from the pc into the adapter that was plugged into the Wii, and got an eroor code (51420)
I've also done many searches on this forum and on the net with luck.

HELP

leafhound said:
:) hi, I'm trying to connect a wii to the internet but not got a clue,

It's broadband with a high speed modem cable running from the phone socket into the modem, from the modem is one cable with a usb connection going into the pc
adsl_800.jpg

The extras i have bought are a XBOX360 (straight through) ethernet cable fitted with RJ45 connectors that connects a console to a modem for online gaming.
The other thing is a USB LAN adaptor.
6528df1569.jpg

I run the cable from the pc into the adapter that was plugged into the Wii, and got an eroor code (51420)
I've also done many searches on this forum and on the net with luck.

HELP
Hmm, interesting one. I presume you've got it set up correctly. ie. Wii>USB Lan adaptor>USB cable>computer>ethernet cable>Modem>Phone socket.

After that, you need a computer with XP on it. Also, I think you'll need to make sure any firewalls aren't blocking the Wii (so you may have to determine if it's being blocked, either using the Windows firewall or something like MaCafee or Norton.)

If anything seems wrong, ask again (but try and provide as much detail as possible).

The pc is running with XP, the fella at the shop where i bought the cable said it would run straight into the pc from the adapter, Wii>LAN/USB>Cable>PC

leafhound said:
The pc is running with XP, the fella at the shop where i bought the cable said it would run straight into the pc from the adapter, Wii>LAN/USB>Cable>PC
Sounds good.

Has the computer come up with any error messages when trying to connect the Wii to PC? i.e. has it popped up saying anything about firewall rules or anything? Also, was there any PC software (i.e. DVD/CD-ROM) with the package?

Squall7 said:
Sounds good.

Has the computer come up with any error messages when trying to connect the Wii to PC? i.e. has it popped up saying anything about firewall rules or anything? Also, was there any PC software (i.e. DVD/CD-ROM) with the package?

No software came with adapter/cables, when i plug the cable in to the pc from the Wii nothing happens, no recognition of an external device! i do not know if it should though.

I'm now just reading something about DHCP on the net, looks confusing though.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=502Uv0LsmDY
This is good if you have a router.

If you don't then I think you're going to have to give me details of firewall software...

EDIT: Just been reading around on the internet, that to plug it into a PC, you'll need a "connector cable" that doesn't come with the pack. It should look like this:
netcable.jpg

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/6-/Searc...rossover+cable&searchtype=PCSH&searchsource=0
Here's some on play.com.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...arch-alias=aps&field-keywords=crossover+cable
And some on amazon.co.uk.

Last edited:
Yes, i read about that crossover cable a week ago, and thought the it was the same cable as the fella in the shop sold us,
lol
I read your post this morning and it clicked ithat it might of been the wrong cable so went and bought a cross over cable from Argos this afternoon (belkin CAT5e UTP crossover cable) just tried connecting and got a Error code 52020.

I will go poke through the Wii manual for a bit,

leafhound said:
Yes, i read about that crossover cable a week ago, and thought the it was the same cable as the fella in the shop sold us,
lol
I read your post this morning and it clicked ithat it might of been the wrong cable so went and bought a cross over cable from Argos this afternoon (belkin CAT5e UTP crossover cable) just tried connecting and got a Error code 52020.

I will go poke through the Wii manual for a bit,
Soz, been away for a few days.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...stem=Wii&locale=en_US&action.x=23&action.y=17

Error Code: 52020

Power cycle your router and modem by unplugging them both from the wall. Wait a few minutes, and plug the modem back in. Wait a couple of minutes for the modem to initialize, then turn on the router. Try to connect the Wii console online and test for proper response.

If you are connecting directly to a modem, try a "Manual Setup" with the Wii console (how to), using your network's IP address, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask, and DNS information. To access these settings:
On your PC, click "Start" and then "Run."
Type "CMD" into the field that appears to open a new window.
Type "IPCONFIG/ALL" and press "Enter" to display a list of internet settings, including the settings listed above. Input these exactly as they're listed into the "Manual Setup" of the Wii console's internet connection.
Sounds like you may need to configure the Wii to use the same IP address as your computer uses.

Sounds to me like you need to setup internet connection sharing, and of course it looks like you need a crossover cable to run directly to your NIC instead of regular Cat5.

Squall7 said:
you may need to configure the Wii to use the same IP address as your computer uses.

I do not know if that's possible as ip keeps changing from time to time.

I will try as your link says and unplug the modem for a few minutes, though that will have to be tomorrow now as i've guitar lessons tonight.

awdawg said:
Sounds to me like you need to setup internet connection sharing, and of course it looks like you need a crossover cable to run directly to your NIC instead of regular Cat5.

I looked in to the internet sharing and it says to goto internet connections and set them so they all "obtain IP adress automatically" (but they were that way as default anyway). but on the ipconfig info it says DHCP not enabled.
so for me that is confusing.
untitledsy7.jpg

Back