are the graphics suppose to be good for wii?

360 looks amazing on my hdtv but i've never seen it on a standard though so i can't compare. But not as spectacular as PC graphics though, consoles will never rival PC graphics. maybe close, but never surpass.

As long as the wii has pretty light effects, decent model polygon sizes, and just looks pleasing to the eye, it's all good.

i was always impressed with the GC clarity and colours ova the ps2/xbox i think nintendo will do a fine job with with the wii graphics

COLDshiver said:
360 looks amazing on my hdtv but i've never seen it on a standard though so i can't compare. But not as spectacular as PC graphics though, consoles will never rival PC graphics. maybe close, but never surpass.

As long as the wii has pretty light effects, decent model polygon sizes, and just looks pleasing to the eye, it's all good.
Yeah, look at games like the first Prince of Persia. No, it didn't have photo-realistic grass or bump mapping, but it looked great even on the PS2 and it was all thanks to well done lighting and, especially, character animation/design.

HDTV's will go down with time. its law with electronics, i cant quite remember what it was specifically. but remember the first dvd players? well over £500 now u can get one for £20. HDTV's will soon be a good price. oh and paintba||er, ur arguments are cheap, im gonna get a ps3 when it gets to a decent price but i dont have a HDTV, and squall was right MOST pple DONT have one and if they do, its probably a cheap 15"

W/e most people I know have a HDTV and if you don't have one then there isn't much point in buying a 360 or a PS3 since the main thing on them is the graphics. And I don't know anyone thats going to spend $600 on a PS3 that doesn't have a HDTV. But I don't really care PS3 probably isn't gonna be that great anyway. I would rather save $350 and get a Wii that has good gameplay and crappy graphics.

Pizzaluvr, this is for you. Take away HD and what's new about the Xbox360 and the PS3? What will be the difference between XBox and Xbox360; and the PS2 and the PS3? There would be the same machine with beefed up hardware. Now on the other hand, the Wii although it won't support 1080i it will support 480p, which is still considered HD.
If the majority of people don't have 1080i compatible HD tv's they would have to spend thousands of dollars just to see a boost in the graphics department.
Let me ask you this, How much of an impact is that going to make on games? Not much. Nintendo has been around for a long time, and nintendo has never shied away from technological competition. Nintendo aims at the majority. Sony and Microsoft just want money. Between line end of story.

My Tv runs only up to 480p but it realy clears up the screen... Compared to regular tv's i think 480p is cool... But you know they could mabey send updates to higher better resalutions...

LolygagerX said:
Exactly!.. So like they'll probly have some kinda download thing so that you can later on in the future play games in 720p or higher =D
Gosh, I hope so! Even though I don't have a HD TV (I have a 27" off-brand tube TV with component inputs), I plan on getting one when they go down in price. I never thought this kind of thing was possible until I read that article. Now, it could very well be possible and what a surprise it would be.:yesnod:

I think it should be noted that the Wii is going to have better graphics than DVD so it isn't all that bad no matter how you look at it. And if you don't think the graphics are good look in the gallery section of the site and that'll change your mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

antimatter said:
I agree with WannaWii.

The PS2 had the worst graphics out of all the current generation consoles. The order was this: PS2, Gamecube, and then Xbox. The Wii's graphics will be inbetween Xbox and Xbox 360's graphics. Plenty good for me.

Actually as far as sixth generation consoles go (Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube generation) this old thing had the worst graphics not the PS2. Some people forget that the dreamcast was a sixth generation console.

dreamcast.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for all the people who were confused as i was about what 1080i, 1080p, 480p etc means i'll give you all the quick low down on what i know.

The p at the end of the numbers stands for progressive scan. The i stands for interlaced. The difference between the two has to do with the way the image is drawn. Progessive scan is better quality than interlaced.

As for the numbers they are the horizontal lines of resolution. For example 1080 means there are 1080 horizontal lines of resolution. 480 means there are 480 horizontal lines of resolution. Hope this can help someone and if anyone can help me understand better please tell. I'm planning on buying an HDTV sometime and want to know my stuff before hand!

This chart shows the difference in resolutions.

untitled1copyoi8.jpg

Horizontal x Vertical
480p - 480x720
576p - 576x720
720p - 720x1280
1080p - 1080x1920
1080i - 1080x1440

Also will the Wii be able to play in 576p? I understand that 480p EDTV has a framerate of 60 and 576p EDTV has a framerate of 50. What will the Wii use assuming the TV is capable?

Last edited:
Back