Graphics

T3kNi9e said:
True, but as overall developers they suck unless its Rogue Squadron.

Other than Rogue Squadron their best game was Contra III.

Rogue Squadron II was good. Rogue Squadron III flopped.

Their latest game Lair was horrible.

May sound lame, but I just want them to make a pretty looking game. You know, just so they can confirm that it can be done.

Yeah, Galaxy and Metroid looked great, and Brawl looks awesome too.
But those are first party games, and still probably could have been pulled off with the original XBox.

Maybe not at 60 fps, but still could have been pulled off.

We just need a good looking game to prove that it can be done.

The L.S said:
People who buy the Wii aren't looking for next-gen graphics. They are looking for fun.:yesnod:

But looking at Mario Galaxy, or Metroid Prime 3, I would say it does have good graphics. Just not like the 360 or ps3.

^Follow This Post!^

wezeles said:
Jesus come up with something better than that...

there are good and bad games on each system... dont just pick out one bad and one good and compare it like that matters...

They all offer different games and excell in different areas, if the games are the most important to you then look at the game list for each and decide which console

if the technology is more what your looking at you have to decide between graphics or gameplay on this Gen...None offer the best of both

I don't think you understood me. My point was that it's not the controls that make the quality of the gameplay of a console, but rather the games on the console. The reality is that the Wii just doesn't have the lineup right now, with only a few good games. Furthermore, the grand capabilities of a consoles control system are pretty much moot if the games don't implement them well, which has been the case with pretty much all of the Wii games.

So to sum up, the Wii motion controls DON'T make the Wii or the gameplay of the games better than that of consoles without motion controls.

PS: I don't own a 360, so nice try. In fact, the Wii is the only console I own, and I hardly play that.

Matt's_A_Bluebird said:
With graphics you should be looking at things like smooth edges, vibrant colours and good movement of characters and objects.

Emphasis mine.

One thorn in my side with the Wii is that basically no developer uses anti-aliasing. I understand the technical reasons why, but it's still an eye-sore. I wish AA was a given for Wii games, but the technical abilities of the Wii being what they are, I guess we're just going to have to trade AA for frame-rates.

so far nothing looks too much better than on the gamecube (actually most of it looks worse than gamecube because half the games are ps2 ports).

people who say its about fun not graphics

are idiots.

360 and ps3 are fun, why else would millions of people play them? you have to be pretty ignorant and new to gaming as a whole if you think good graphics means no fun.

also, brawl graphics arent that great at all, just more colors and what not. half the screenshots you see arent even the game, i once made a threat showing the mario from the video where they showed SSBM mario to the SSBB mario. then compared him to the mario in actual SSBB gameplay footage, nothing like each other.

Last edited:
Well no one can accurately make an estimate between the Wii and Xbox, mainly because no one actually knows what the CPU and GPU specs of the Wii are yet.

As for AA, they really need to start using it in games. @sremick as far as I know, the Gamecube GPU was capable of utilizing x4 AA without a performance hit. Since the Wii is using a ATI GPU, I would assume that it is atleast capable of doing x2 or x4 without a performance hit. Just for comparison the 360 GPU can do HDR and x4AA without a performance hit.

Do you get the slot where u put the yellow-red-white cables in with the Wii??

largedarry said:
As for AA, they really need to start using it in games. @sremick as far as I know, the Gamecube GPU was capable of utilizing x4 AA without a performance hit. Since the Wii is using a ATI GPU, I would assume that it is atleast capable of doing x2 or x4 without a performance hit. Just for comparison the 360 GPU can do HDR and x4AA without a performance hit.
At the risk of repeating what's already been discussed in many other threads on the topic...

The Wii can do anti-aliasing, but it comes at a price. The Z-buffer must be reduced from 24 to 16-bit precision, and it requires using 1 TEV pipeline. The fillrate drops in half because the scene must be rendered much-larger than the displayed resolution then subsampled down, unlike without AA where the GPU only has to render the displayed pixels. More pixels = more rendering time, no way around that.

The Gamecube could do AA but also at a price, similar to the Wii. You dropped to 16-bit color and 16-bit Z-buffer, and the resolution fell from 640x528 to 640x264. AA required 2 texture layers and would halve the fill-rate.

Last edited:
Atomheart said:
I don't think you understood me. My point was that it's not the controls that make the quality of the gameplay of a console, but rather the games on the console. The reality is that the Wii just doesn't have the lineup right now, with only a few good games. Furthermore, the grand capabilities of a consoles control system are pretty much moot if the games don't implement them well, which has been the case with pretty much all of the Wii games.

So to sum up, the Wii motion controls DON'T make the Wii or the gameplay of the games better than that of consoles without motion controls.

PS: I don't own a 360, so nice try. In fact, the Wii is the only console I own, and I hardly play that.

If your going to do that atleast make a valid comparison...
so your saying its not any more fun to play RE4 on Wii as it is on PS2? not a huge leap in graphics? i would still pick the Wii version because the Gameplay makes it better...
the fact that Wii is leading in Sales proves that gameplay is a key role... just as important as graphics... except maybe to the "hardcore" that only care about specific game titles...

Weather they have the best games on the market is up for debate, and like i said it all depends on your personal prefference and what type of games you like... But the Gameplay does make a big difference in how fun any game can be.... even a crap mini game is 10 times more fun when its done with motion controll...

For Most people i would say pick the games first then the consoles or you will never be happy...
But if you dont care about what types of games you play "and you would have to be a very casual gamer not too" then pick between gameplay and graphics pretty simple argument...

Last edited:
wezeles said:
If your going to do that atleast make a valid comparison...
so your saying its not any more fun to play RE4 on Wii as it is on PS2? not a huge leap in graphics? i would still pick the Wii version because the Gameplay makes it better...
the fact that Wii is leading in Sales proves that gameplay is a key role... just as important as graphics... except maybe to the "hardcore" that only care about specific game titles...

Weather they have the best games on the market is up for debate, and like i said it all depends on your personal prefference and what type of games you like... But the Gameplay does make a big difference in how fun any game can be.... even a crap mini game is 10 times more fun when its done with motion controll...

For Most people i would say pick the games first then the consoles or you will never be happy...
But if you dont care about what types of games you play "and you would have to be a very casual gamer not too" then pick between gameplay and graphics pretty simple argument...

At first go Wii version was better than PS2 (RE4) but after that PS2 was better because the Wii version was far too easy. Especially since RE was meant to be a Survival Horror, Wii made it too easy for it to be survival and since it became really easy, their was nothing scary about it. Wii shines in point and click games. If its not point and click then the motion controls are ntohing special IMO. Then if you are a hardcore gamer like me I rather using analog joystick for aiming because it takes more skill and becomes more competitive.

the fact that Wii is leading in Sales proves that gameplay is a key role...

That just proves that alot casual gamers like it, not hardcore. Because the average hardcore player who likes a challenge and competitive gaming own both the Wii and another console. Wii ends up being the console thats "just for fun" instead of a challenge and competition. Wii sales does not prove Wii has better gameplay sorry, thats just your opinion. Wii sales proves people like a cheap console. Also that kids and parents like to play together because face it, those are the people who buy Wii the most.

As a Casual gamer Wii is better because its overall cheaper and the games are easy to learn. Wii barely has any complex games, you can pick up and start playing really fast. But if I had to pick, I would use a classic Wii controller to play my Wii games, except for shooters.

While I can understand wanting to latch on to traditional controller handicaps in order to maintain a level of difficulty, I would argue that the improved realism of "point and shoot" allows a game to become more-immersive and a better overall experience.

That said, RE4 on the Wii is just a port, and while the graphics don't suck, they aren't anything special. I own it.

Well we will see what factor 5 does... yet really a real console was never part of the top end due to price... I think the reports of billions of dollars made made every one thing real gamers where rich...LOL I mean look at those HD system prices! New 8800s cost around 250 now too and that chip is actualy better than any console.

So far the only graphics that matter are the VGcharts and NPD numbers apparently. The developers will figure that out sooner or later.

And a mistake is a mistake every web browser does not have spell check.
Hey but I'm very cool with what they have been able to do with smash and mario and prime and even the res evil game.

Back