Are You Competitive?

Frogger

God Complex
Feb 16, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Wii Online Code
9156-1265-6763-2556
Well I thought I'd metaphorically get off my ass an type up a thread for once, seeing as I create so little.

So, anyway, on many accounts I've been accused of being too competitive and I don't know if they mean it in a bad way, whether it's in context or not. Actually, I've thought that competition is a big part of my life, and one aspect would be gaming, which I take very seriously in multiplayer. But, any little side game I will fight out to win you at.

I don't know where it came from, perhaps when I was little and my uncle would never let me win at any game. My mother, however she always let me win, but I never went back to play with her, I'd always go to my uncle like I was his little grasshopper. Eventually, my uncle moved out and found a life of his own but he'd come back and play games with me when I was around 7 years old, and he'd still beat me. So I sat at home being a good little girl cranking it up on things like Mario Kart 64. Eveeentually, no one could beat me at it, then I was slightly bored. It's great when something takes you so long to win, but once you're at the top you have nowhere to go.

I suppose it is in my nature being the older child, you can argue with me on this issue, by the way but I think, naturally, we're more competitive from the moment it's "Hey, that God damn baby is getting all the attention" to grades at school. School grades don't matter to me, they once did until I realised that they weren't a test of your ability, it's how well you can tippy toe around the question without having to answer it properly. But, I'd always want to stay on the same level as my friends. I don't know why, but even with little end of unit tests you'd just wait to whoever won. It's not the case in college though because my subjects are no brainers.

Thing is, people see me as always wanting to win, when I thought that this would just be my nature. Yeah, taking away my competitive streak would only leave one aspect to my personality left; sarcasm. Maybe it's possibly gave me motivation in life to not suck as much as I should do but I'm pretty much liking it.

Seriously, though, if my five year old cousin plays me on the Wii I was no way in hell going to let him win, the kid has to learn. ;)

How about yourselves?

For me it depends on the circumstance. For example, in ball hockey I have to be competitive otherwise I'm just a push over. The difference about this league compared to others that I've played in is that due to the fact of my size and height I'm not the biggest guy out there. In other leagues that I've played in the height and size factor was never a problem. However, due to playing against those who may be two to three years older than myself I'm forced to take on guys roughly twice my size. In most cases I'm able to take on and defeat players when it comes to both stick handling and fore checking. Now, if I wasn't competitive these players would easily walk over me with no problem whatsoever. Now even though I may be quite competitive I don't let the games get to me. Whether we win or lose doesn't really matter to me. Just as long as I play a good game I'll be pleased with my play. Whereas some others let the win/loss factor of a game get to them.

Last edited:
I am also very competitive (and possibly aggressive) when it comes to multi-player games or any kind of competitive situation, but I will always try and lose to anyone younger than me, such as my cousins. It is better to see their smiling faces when they win. :)
My aggressive personality only seems to emerge when there is a competition between people of my own age group.

It depends on what it is.
If I am playing games of any sort I tend to be competitive.
I also tend to try to show off to some people, so I get competitive there as well.

And in soccer I get quite competitive.
Back on defence this year, someone was trying to take my position as sweeper (or back defender as its called). We tend to go with four people on the back end, in a diamond shape, it works quite nicely. But yes, someone was trying to take my spot back there or get more playing time, but I ultimately won it.

I was starting slow on the season, and I think Coach did it to get me back to where I know I can play. It worked though :lol:, I didn't do enough before it started to get me ready for it.

I was also trying to get a spot on forward in the middle of the season, I got to play a few games in that spot, didn't put a goal home though. 4 assists and they all came when I was on defence :lol:.
I have quite the goalless steak going, two seasons in a row without a goal, and before those 2 seasons I had at least one goal for quite some time.

I am rambling now, and I know I count weird stats, but I'm crazy..oh well.

no.....just play for the fun of the game........i dont even think i was competitive once.....o_o....i think if your too much of a show off of winning......you might end up losing a friend

Mm, I'm usually competitive in games and in outdoor activities, except for with my fiance...

But on some occasions I usually just play for the fun of it, with competitions put aside..

Aaahhh, you're all mentioning sports, and wario2ooo I just don't know how you function. I was never ever into sports, only hockey, but they wouldn't even do rollerskates so I just got bored of it.

The only time I used to play sports was in school, which is where alll the popular kids would gang up on everyone else and cheat their way through. I know, they had some talent at it, but it's better to play the game bloody fairly than strangle me playing netball, I'm not bothered about the result either, it would still end up with people nagging. People in school have just taken things to extremes, where if there's a student who forgot their kit refereeing then the poor thing is damn petrified at them. God forbid if any of them try and do sports nationally.

I knew I couldn't be the best at sports, so I didn't try, there'd always be those people who had to win everything regardless of fairness. Nuhh.

I'm competitive in school....Grades are everything.

I'd argue against your age hypothesis. I am a middle child, who classically over-achieve as the younger is baby'd and the elder gets privileges earlier. (And parents also care more for older children)

Also, sorry about msn. There was a funny part in seinfeld that I had to watch...... ugh.

competitive girl = hot

Brawny said:
I'm competitive in school....Grades are everything.

I'd argue against your age hypothesis. I am a middle child, who classically over-achieve as the younger is baby'd and the elder gets privileges earlier. (And parents also care more for older children)

Also, sorry about msn. There was a funny part in seinfeld that I had to watch...... ugh.

competitive girl = hot

You = awfully suggestive.

I don't have a middle child in my family, I just thought that they'd be the one nobody has to worry about and be ignored. Oh, yeah, the privilges of going through life and figuring everything out yourself should be great...

Just meaning that I don't want some mousy girl.....have to think for yourself...especially in the way of gaming and competition in general.

The eldest usually is the most cared for actually. It's the parents' first kid, so they dote on it, follow all his weights/heights etc....

By kid 2 or 3, they just don't have time to care lol.

Back