Over-achiever or under-achiever? Or just average? What's your drive?

Trulen

Isn't here as much
Oct 28, 2006
Wii Online Code
1234-1234-1234-1234
Hi there. I, of 17 years, have been watching other people in life.

But before I tell you of other people, I'll tell you of myself.

I've always made grades a parent could be proud of (A average throughout my high school years. I've got straight A's on this first report card of my senior year.)

But, I hope I don't sound too conceited, but up until the 11th grade, the good grades came almost naturally. I DID have a number of trouble spots, though. For my first year of algebra, I could not, for the life of me, figure out variables. Which is the first step of algebra. I just could NOT solve the equation: 4=2x.
I got a bad grade on my first test (this was in freshman year, though.) I was in honors classes because I thought I was smart (I was in regulars kindergarten through 8th grade). This put a blow on me I couldn't stand. I said to myself, "I should drop down a class."

In other words, I did the typical, "Screw it. I don't care anymore" attitude that teenagers (and college kids, nowadays) portray.

But, through the course of something, I learned variables. And I learned them good.

Years came, years past. I quickly began making higher grades than all my new honors friends.

But throughout the years, I noticed other students with the, "Screw it. I don't care anymore." attitude, even in the honors classes. And then they make a low grade.

I find myself, when confused, saying that same thing. But then I have developed a knack for stepping out of the "angst" box, and saying to myself, "You're just mad because you can't figure it out."

I then agree, and then get help from the teacher. It will take a while, but I WILL get it. Just yesterday, we were taking an advanced math test yesterday. At first, I had crazy trouble understanding it. I then proceeded with the "Screw it. I don't care anymore." attitude.
Then, I stepped out of my angst. Then I actually THOUGHT about the problem, and then came up with some questions to ask the teacher. I did, and I learned it.

I walk into the class yesterday, and all I hear, "Dude, last hour, they said this test was a BEAST."
So I got a little worried.

I began taking the test... And everything was... Simple.
Got the test back today. I made a 99. I only messed up on a problem because I needed to find the area of a circle, and I used the formula to find an area of a sector!

Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised.

Then, I looked at myself and asked, "How do you get these good grades?"

I thought, and then came up with a few drives:

1. I enjoy being better than everyone. I know this sounds horrible, but I often strive to outperform my peers. I walk faster than them in the halls, act manlier with my male peers, and other acts of competition. I got into an easy class, but the people there didn't care about their grade. I felt no competition, therefore no will to learn. I then got into a sociology class. There's a little competition, but the teacher's interesting. So I like the class.

2. It's kinda like weight training for your brain. Get the mindset that "I can do this" and I'll be able to tackle just about anything.

3. I know that I'll be a productive member of society who's boundaries are limitless if I keep this up (I plan to be a construction engineer. Building... Buildings for the massive win!)

4. My sister does not make the grades I do. Therefore, college will be more expensive for her than I. My parents are horrible at saving money, so I need to get into a good college for as cheap as possible.

5. Golden ID Badge if I make straight A's for at least 3 periods of six weeks. Front of the freakin' school parking. With the teachers. WHAT THEN.

6. I enjoy hard work, though I do have my limits (which is why I'm in sociology class instead of a more advanced class).You don't know how giddy I was when I figured out advanced math.

7. My parents can show me off. I adore attention. My mom tells just about everybody she can that I recieved my letterman jacket for free because of my grades, along with 12 or so other people, out of... Over 300. Had to have a 3.8 GPA or above by end of junior year.

8. People look up to me for help in school. I enjoy helping people, so this is a winning situation for me.

So, how about you?
If you don't want to read the entire first part, just answer these questions:

Do you shoot for the top?
Happy with being average?
Or are you in the "Screw it, I don't care anymore." mode?

What's your drive, or reasons for such?

I suppose I am an under-achiever trapped in an over-achievers world.

My parents expect the highest. I've gotten one B on a report card in my entire life, and that was in 4th grade. I ace all my tests without studying.

I cannot stand school, it is ridiculous. Imo, grades show absolutely nothing about how smart someone is. Tests prove nothing but how good of a test taker you are. You can ask me any question on a test and I garuntee I can ace it. You just throw in some big words, write it with good form (introductory, body, conclusion) and then beat around the bush, while never answering the direct question, of course.

Overall, it was a good read Trulen, and I enjoyed it.

Throughout high school I glided by if you will. I studied yet I didn't study enough and at times I would completely forget my class work. However since college has begun I have set new standards as to what I believe is acceptable along with what isn't. I now strive for grades in the high 80's and in order to attain that I plan on making sure all my work is done well. I also plan on setting some time aside to study and or review my work. Since I have set new goals for myself I have begun to get more out of college. Which I must admit is quite a step forward from my "Screw it, I don't care anymore" attitude. As mentioned above my reasons behind my new work ethic is due to my lack of work throughout high school. My second reason behind wanting to achieve better grades is due to the fact that after college and university I plan on going into law. So in order to go into law I need to achieve better grades. My final reason is due to the fact that if I'm able to obtain good grades and whatnot throughout college I shall be able to reap the rewards if you will. What are these rewards or benefits you ask? The main reward and or benefit is knowing that as long as I work hard and challenge myself anything is possible. The second reward or benefit is knowing that by maintaining a good work ethic I shall be able to one day possibly get into Law. Without good grades and or a good work ethic my dream of pursuing law will slip away...

^I fear that college will be a reality check for me.

So far, the education system has been easily manipulated, but I doubt College will follow suit.

LevesqueIsKing said:
^I fear that college will be a reality check for me.

So far, the education system has been easily manipulated, but I doubt College will follow suit.

Ah! College!

Yes, I think of all the "gimme" stuff that teachers give us.
"Bonus points" for example...

I just that I'll just be a student I.D. in college.
I have to ask questions to learn.
I have to get it wrong to learn, first. There's where my questions come from.
And I'm not talking about getting it wrong on a test. It's too late then.
I'm talking about... Gasp... HOMEWORK.

But every time I think of freshman college, I imagine myself in a giant room with about 150 other people, listening to this professor with a mic.
And then having to ask a question, while the professor looks at me as if I'm a moron. That's all fine and dandy, but I fear that my question will not get answered!

Definately in English. I struggle in English to find the deeper meaning in things.

^You mean you ask questions in college just like you do in gradeschool!? :shocked:

You just raise your hand and then all 150 people are looking at you? And I thought asking a question in a class of 20 people was hard to bare...

I figured you weren't allowed to interrupt a lecture and that all questions were asked after class...

LevesqueIsKing said:
^You mean you ask questions in college just like you do in gradeschool!? :shocked:

You just raise your hand and then all 150 people are looking at you? And I thought asking a question in a class of 20 people was hard to bare...

I figured you weren't allowed to interrupt a lecture and that all questions were asked after class...

I'm not in college yet. Though I will be next year.
But I sure won't be afraid to ask a question. I don't get embarrassed easily. Don't care how stupid I look.

'Cause it's like my mama says. Ask questions. 'Cause somebody out there's wondering the same exact thing.

Trulen said:
I'm not in college yet. Though I will be next year.
But I sure won't be afraid to ask a question. I don't get embarrassed easily. Don't care how stupid I look.

'Cause it's like my mama says. Ask questions. 'Cause somebody out there's wondering the same exact thing.

Me in High School, I tend to put things off and work is kind of a last choice of mine. I don't really do homework, and almost doing nothing in class. Maybe I should start.

And the question asking thing, one of my teachers I have in High School won't let us ask questions, if we do she gets mad and stuff lol.

I guess I'm pretty ambitious.

Example: Taking the "suicide three" - the three hardest courses my school offers (Higher Level Maths, Higher Level Physics and Higher Level Chemistry).

I enjoy surpassing others' expectations by doing better than anyone thought I would, although, sometimes I think I'm setting myself up for an epic downfall.

Under achiever

I am VERY VERY smart in all subjects except for math. I do nothing in class because i chose not too. i am very capible of being above other kids in my class but i chose not too. i also hold the "idgas" attitude as well. if i am in that attitude during a test. i will cheat (cheated on my history test today actually). if i have homework i dont want to do, i will ask someone for the work and most likely get it.

Math is a whole different playing field for me though...i understand things in math during class and when reviewing...but when the paper is laid out in front of me, things go blank. i actually failed my last test in math. i fail a lot in math throughout the year but still manage a C+. all my other grades are B+ through A+

i was kind of like Syntax was when it comes to high school. i slid by with low grades and poor test scores. when i would study for a test i would usually get the "screw this" attitude and just go and watch TV or something. however now that im in college i realize i cant be going down this same path. i have to apply myself. school is one of the most important thing in ones life. if you dont do well and apply yourself then it will most likely be hard in the future.

I'd say I'm average I do all the homework but I never study except for in math. All my grades are Bs-A's in latin I have 130%. Algebra 2 is getting hard so now im trying a lot harder than normal school is so important. Oh and now my parents can go on the internet and check my grades :/ so I cant go to my mailbox and get my report card if I do bad.

AndThen? said:
Example: Taking the "suicide three" - the three hardest courses my school offers (Higher Level Maths, Higher Level Physics and Higher Level Chemistry).

I do those subjects to! I generally work hard and it pays off. My friends do the same subjects as me and I find it great to have that competition to drive me to higher grades. It seems that the hard work has paid off as it seems I'll be able to breeze into uni early next year studying Engineering and Science. I like being at the top and I find the Chemistry and Physics enjoyable anyway which is a further incentive to study. :)

well im lazy, lazy enough to not put any effort into this post. you can say i am an under achiever(hey atleast i am honest) unlike most of you guys.

Back