How did you get into your music?

Liger_zero9999

JP Photobook Expert
Jan 22, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0001
i had a quick search, but i couldnt find anything ( or i didnt search long enough.. oh well)

but how did you get into the music that you listen to. did you just think that it was a good track and tried to find others like it?

for example, i'm into techno/trance/electronica. the first time that i heard trance was grade 8 music class ( that was mandatory for all year 8's). the teacher tried to make us guess what genre certain types of music was from.

he eventually came across some music that sounded pretty dam good to me. i found out that it was trance music. a little after that while searching for trance music/artists i stumbles upon techno and electronica.

so how did you find "your music"??

I started listening to rock when I was around seven (or, at least, that's the youngest age I can remember). My mom and her...err.... fifth boyfriend were listening to the radio, which played songs from various rock bands, mostly AC/DC. A couple years later I was given an AC/DC CD. Around the same time, my mom listened to a CAKE CD of her's, which is how I got into them.

I got into Muse from Geetar Hero, along with Dragonforce, and every other band I like, I've heard on the radio.

I've been listening to rock music for as long as I can remember, but it wasn't until about 4 or 5 years ago that I got into the more experimental stuff. I was channel hopping one boring evening, and I decided to turn over to BBC 6 Music (a digital radio station available on satellite TV). They were playing a bit of post-rock that evening, and I thought it was incredible. I decided to seek out more of that kind of music.

My appreciation for techno and ambient came from the soundtracks of a few games I played on the PS1/PS2 such as Wipeout and Rez.

I absolutely love world music, especially J-Pop.

To be honest, I actually got into J-Pop as a result of an accidental click. That video link allowed me to set my eyes on koda Kumi. I have been a massive fan of her work and many other J-Pop artists ever since.

JPOP - My aunt has a large collection of 80's & 70's JPOP that would be fed to me when i was a kid back then, and thus my love for JPOP music was born, she was also responsible for introducing me to some parts of the Japanese culture.

80's music - It just stuck to me while growing up in the 80's, and i much preferred it over the 90's.. had this very nice atmosphere to it, specifically the Synth-Pop genre.

Ambient - My mom was into alot of ambient jazz & trip-hop artists, but never really exposed any of it to me until I asked her if I could get some song recommendations off her. Add onto that some of the games I've played and their ambient music along with certain films, and there you go. Though I'm much more into Ambient Lounge music, and some Trip-Hop than that other Ambient music.. which is mainly just birds chirping and water running.. I don't really like that kind.

Rock/Metal - My Dad & little brother were very much into the classic Hard Rock and the 80's Heavy Metal when i was a kid, and eventually I gained interest in the music since i took a large liking to the sounds of the complex guitar riffs and the rhythm of the drums and bass. To this day, I'm still very much into the 80's Heavy Metal, but I don't really like the metal music of today.. and there's only a little bit I like from the 90's.

Jazz - I blame all those Bruce Lee films I saw a long time ago, the Jazz music in those films are fantastic. More specifically, that 70's Jazz funk.. great stuff.

Hung out with a buddy of mine one night during high school and he introduced me to a Pantera CD (many years ago) and it was all over from there. Branched off from that into classic rock and so on.

Was brought up listening to classic rock, so that will always be a mainstay. Then veered off into new rock (in the 90s) and went back and forth between the two. Then started hanging out a lot with a friend who loved rap and I slowly got into that, and now listen to it a lot. Got into a little bit of techno/electronica/trance back when I started college, mostly got it from car videos online. Then probably a couple years ago I started getting into country, the girlfriend loves it and a lot of my friends listen to it as well and it's a very nice change of pace every now and again.

Grew up on hip hop due to my area, but then I met Slayer in high school...

friends

used to listen to rap because it was popular but my friend got me into Avenged Sevenfold and now i listen to just about every metal genre there is

eveything from Black Metal to Scottish Pirate Metal

Last edited:
Well, living in Alabama I listened to country music when I was little, then I grew to hate it and moved on to rock, which made my dad angry for some reason. Now I listen to all sorts of music. Me being a fan of the older things, one of my favorit artists is Frank Sinatra. But I'll blare some Metallica on my way to work. I listen to some classical work from time to time. Also love the Jazz. A fan of rap, espscially old-school. 80's metal seems to be one of my most prefered. Also love stuff like Slipknot and Disturbed.

But I still hate country music.
And Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Espscially Sweet Home Alabama.

When I was on neopets one day I decided to change my lookup. So obviously I was browsing sites which could help me and I came across a background track for my lookup, it was Ayumi Hamasaki - Evolution. I listened to this song once and then couldn't stop listening to it.. That's where my Jpop interest first imerged!

Well, living in Alabama I listened to country music when I was little, then I grew to hate it and moved on to rock, which made my dad angry for some reason. Now I listen to all sorts of music. Me being a fan of the older things, one of my favorit artists is Frank Sinatra. But I'll blare some Metallica on my way to work. I listen to some classical work from time to time. Also love the Jazz. A fan of rap, espscially old-school. 80's metal seems to be one of my most prefered. Also love stuff like Slipknot and Disturbed.

But I still hate country music.
And Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Espscially Sweet Home Alabama.
i live in Alabama too! its impossible to escape country music here!

Well I grew up on Hip-Hop and R&B, but when I was about 10 years old I began listening to Rock. I started off with soft rock/alternative rock like Linkin Park (first rock group I enjoyed), Nickelback, and Simple Plan. Gradually I progressed to harder forms of rock, listening to groups such as Killswitch Engage, Disturbed, and Breaking Benjamin.

In the order I started liking.

Metal/Rock: A guy I met on holiday had 'Harvester of Sorrow' by Metallica playing, then when I got home I checked them out.

Hip-hop/Rap: Through listening to metal, I heard 'Bring the Noise' by Public Enemy feat. Anthrax. I then got into the original version of this song and started to like A lot of NWA, Run DMC, Notorious BIG etc. (But not 50 cent and stuff like that pish.)

Techno/Dance/Drum & Bass etc: When I turned about 16 I started going to clubs and so started to like this kind of music. Still dont listen to it alot though but I do not hate it anymore.

So yeah. I like all music :) (Except 50 cent)

I don't remember a time where I didn't worship Ayumi, but that was called the 90's. I absolutely adored the 90's in Britain because of this magical genre called Britpop. I was pretty much just raised on the Manics, Oasis and Blur. There were a couple of American influences like REM and No Doubt, but I stuck to Britpop for a whiiiile. I still utterly prefer it over JPop. It's mostly just because that's what my mum listened to and it stuck with me.

I think Ayumi was just a random click. ANDITWASTHEBESTMOVEEVER. The only other JPop artists that I listen to are KAT-TUN and YUI. I can't say I like the genre that much. I definitely prefer it to JRock, that genre is just frighteningly camp. I tried to listen to a couple of JRock songs, and I've searched for other JPop artists, but I guess I'm just severely attached to Ayumi. I need to go see her.

Right, the technotechnotechno is just due to being European and you have to like techo to be European.
And I dunno how rock happened.

used to listen to rap because it was popular but my friend Tyler Connoy got me into Avenged Sevenfold and now i listen to just about every metal genre there is

...Hahahahah.

Last edited:
Back