Athronox's Essential GC Game List

Athronox

WiiChat Member
Nov 14, 2009
Well, since I'm such a huge fan of the Gamecube, and no better a companion does the Wii have than its old purple brother, I have decided to post a list of what I believe to the absolutely essential Gamecube games for anyone's collection. I have compiled this list using my own beliefs, ratings, suggestions, and the lists of others to find a median where I believe it all comes together quite nicely. I will also list briefly why each game is essential. Ahem, and the games are...

1. Metroid Prime: A hugely diverse, expansive adventure with gorgeous graphics and sound and timeless gameplay extracted from the classic Metroid series, wrapped up with plenty of replay value and gameboy connectivity. Do you need more of a reason to buy it?

2. Resident Evil 4: The game that gave birth to many modern third person shooters of the day such as Gears of War, RE4 had the best graphics, cinematics, effects, and overall design of any game of last generation, and although some ho-hum ports were later designed for other consoles, RE4's true home is with the Gamecube, and rightly so, as it was unanimously praised as one of the greatest games of the last 10 years.

3. Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2: The very first console RPG boasting gigantic environments and endless gameplay, episode 1, brought from the Sega Dreamcast, as well as a brand new Episode 2, exclusive to the Gamecube, given a graphical touch-up and beefed up with twice as many quests, characters, items and more. It's also the only true online game available for the Gamecube (and can still be played online to this day via private servers). It has been credited with bringing real online RPG gaming to home consoles, and it is no worse on the Gamecube than it was when it first shipped in 2000.

4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker: While not as commercially successful as OOTA, wind waker is considered one of the most important titles on the GC, as it brought the series into a brand new visual style, gave it a truly dark and interesting storyline, and presented players with a style of swash-buckling adventure gameplay which has yet to be successful replicated. A true masterpiece of a game, technologically and elsewise, and deserves to be in any GC owner's collection.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: Yet another game which could easily lay stake to some of the most gorgeous graphics of the 6th generation, as well as some of the best gameplay, TP is the spiritual successor of the all-worshipped Ocarina of Time and brings back all of the greatness of OOTA and more, and creates a vivid, living, breathing world like never seen before.

6. Timesplitters 2 (I prefer TS3, but most people don't so I'll put in TS2 instead, but trust me, get TS3 too): Upon its release, Timesplitters 2 was given universal commercial and critical success and cited as "quite possibly the greatest first person shooter of all time". Boasting 125 characters, 25 some guns, a map makingfeature, 8 hour story mode, cheats, 15 some games modes, and 15 pre-made maps, TS2 is a game full of replay value and 4-player Goldeneye-esque fun which has been emulated and drawn as a source of influence by FPS games for almost 10 years.

7. Super Smash Bros. Melee: Xbox had Halo, PS2 had God of War, and the GC had SSBM, one of the finest games ever crafted. A mix of hack and slash and fighting gameplay types with quite possibly 500 hours of game time and limitless 4 player modes, SSBM is still, to this day, played competitively and recreationally by thousands of people each year. It was the GC's number 1 selling title, and the flagship franchise of the GC.

8. Star Fox: Assault: While not welcomed with warm reviews due to its short gameplay length and bad ground-mission controls (mostly due in part to the fact that the reviewers were too stupid to realize you could change the control scheme in he options menu), SFA sold near 1 million copies and became a Player's Choice title, and has been a multiplayer favorite of the GC for years. SFA has been credited with having advanced graphics for its time and boasting a truly "epic feel", as well as having dozens of multiplayer unlockables, adding to the replay length. A fantastic multiplayer title, and a striking return to form for SF fans.

9. Star Fox Adventures: To this day, Star Fox Adventures has been credited with graphics so advanced that it could be, quote on quote, "mistaken for an xbox 360 launch title, if not better". Despite its visual eye candy however, Star Fox Adventures is a very unique game in the series, with gameplay mixing aerial combat between level transiations and zelda-like on-foot platforming/hack and slash in-game. While not everyone's cup of tea, it cannot be denied that is is an impressive looking game, and one which is fun- even if it isn't what fans of the series were expecting.

10. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem: Where do I begin? The incredible graphics with bump mapping and dynamic shadowing? The 50 some hours of gameplay? The totally unique and diverse magic and fighting system? Eternal Darkness is a game which defies all boundaries of conventional RPG's and horror games, yet seamlessly binds them together and creates an epic story like no other. You must own it.

11. F-Zero GX: If there is one racing game you be stuck with the rest of your life, it's F-Zero GX. Racing at speeds up to 2000 mph with 40 tracks, 30 pilots, a custom vehicle creaotr, emblem creator, arcade-to-console connectivity, instant-replay features, story mode, 4-player versus mode.....The whole game is just packed full of adrenaline-fueled, hard-as-rocks gameplay and customization. It really is the ultimate racing game.

12. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes: A recreation of the orignal "Metal Gear Solid" for the PS1, with web rankings, totally over hauled graphics, and fluid interesting gameplay with a great storyline. It's everything you've come to expect from an MGS game and more.

13. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!: Not the most sophisticated racing game out there, but no one can deny it's one of the funnest. Not only is packed full of features such as 16-player LAN mode and dozens of races, courses, and game modes, it's quite simply a fantastic game with vibrant and colorful graphics, pick-up-and-play gameplay, and tons of fun alone or with up to 16 of your friends.

14. Super Mario Sunshine: While its seemingly lacking any kind of innovation when compared to its predecessor, SM64, it is definitely a one-of-a-kind game with great graphics and hours and hours of the same Mario fun you've been enjoying for years. While perhaps no the best in the series, it is one hell of a game, and one GC owners will be proud to have in their collection.

15: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: Honestly and truly, a complete and utter rip off / remake of the original Paper Mario, but one cannot help but just love it for its unique gameplay and visual style, as well as nostalgia. Fans of the series new or old, it matters not, because it's a great game that many will enjoy.

16: Pikmin 2: Basically, it's everything the original Pikmin should have been. Fun, interesting, packed with strategy and intrigue. It's an RTS for the overlord in all of us, just one with colorful little creatures and- more importantly- dozens of hours of memorable gaming.

17. Viewtiful Joe: You really have never played a beat-em-up' like Viewtiful Joe until you've played, well, Viewtiful Joe. It looks like someone ripped all the characters out of a pulp-fiction comic book and put them into a video game with intensely awesome fighting action with upgradable attacks and skills and gigantic boss battles.

18. Batallion Wars: Even though it has its design flaws, as well as a little problem with length, Batallion Wars is just undeniably enjoyable. Wage huge wars with your meaty little soldiers and their tanks, copters, planes, air strikes, MG nests and mortars, and experience a cutesy world of war like never before.

That's about all I have down for now. I know there are a few more I'm forgetting but it's a pretty good list, especially for beginners or people who just want to beef up their Wii library with some sick games.

Your missing the master peace that is Ikaruga
The Bash out thrills of Donkey Konga/2 (more fun than Guitar Hero/Rock band)
The weirdness/artyness that is Killer 7
The RPG goodness that is Skys of Arcadia

Your missing the master peace that is Ikaruga
The Bash out thrills of Donkey Konga/2 (more fun than Guitar Hero/Rock band)
The weirdness/artyness that is Killer 7
The RPG goodness that is Skys of Arcadia

While I own Ikaruga, and it is a fantastic game (and most likely the best shmup out there), it's not an essential GC game IMO. It just never got the kind of recognition, sales, or community it needed to be such. It's a great game, but it just doesn't seem to fit in the essentials department.

Donkey Konga? Come on, seriously? That has never been on any essential GC list, and with good reason. Music games are barely games at all.

Killer 7 looked nifty, but the gameplay pretty much sucked and lacked replay value, which doesn't really qualify it for an essential spot.

Skies of Arcadia is more at home on the Dreamcast, especially due to the fact that it has pretty terrible graphics and, besides its travel and story elements, is a totally regular RPG.

Good games are never about what sells the most or looks the best.
If it was sales that diffine the best Fifa would be the best
If it was looks what ever is the best looking game out would be

Donky Konga has the fun factor and that's what counts the most
If games arnt fun why play them?

Killer 7 is debatable but thats all down the personal opinion

SOA there's that graphics thing again
But what of the PSO1/2 games that you mentioned?
Arnt they more at home on the Dreamcast?
*Looks at them on the self*

Good games are never about what sells the most or looks the best.
If it was sales that diffine the best Fifa would be the best
If it was looks what ever is the best looking game out would be

Donky Konga has the fun factor and that's what counts the most
If games arnt fun why play them?

Killer 7 is debatable but thats all down the personal opinion

SOA there's that graphics thing again
But what of the PSO1/2 games that you mentioned?
Arnt they more at home on the Dreamcast?
*Looks at them on the self*

Uh, not really, considering the GC verison has enhanced graphics, an entirely new exclusive episode just for the GC, can still be played online (unlike the dreamcast version which requires a hack), 3 extra classes, 4 player splitscreen, etc. The Dreamcast version might as well be called a separate game entirely, as its so outdated it can't possibly be compared to the GC version.

Also, yes, sales DO factor into how an "essentials" list is compiled. There are plenty of games out there like Goblin Commander, Sphinx and the cursed mummy, Cel Damage, etc. which are all fantastic games, but they are only fantastic to some people, which is probably why they didn't sell very well. When compiling a list of games which are "essential", you are trying to compile a list of the best possible games on the system which will appeal to the broadest group of people. Now obviously, there are exceptions to this rule, like Eternal Darkness, because it just lacked sufficient promotion, but on the whole, if a game is good and is widely accepted as being good, it will be recognized, and thus will earn itself a place on the list.

As a perfect example of this, Ikaruga is a good game to you and me. But to many people, it will seem monotinous and is probably too hard for them. So, even if WE like it, most people probably don't, so it doesn't really deserve a spot.

Uh, not really, considering the GC verison has enhanced graphics, an entirely new exclusive episode just for the GC, can still be played online (unlike the dreamcast version which requires a hack), 3 extra classes, 4 player splitscreen, etc. The Dreamcast version might as well be called a separate game entirely, as its so outdated it can't possibly be compared to the GC version.
The PC version can also be played on-line (with more ease than the GameCube version)
Dose that make that version better?
Also, yes, sales DO factor into how an "essentials" list is compiled.
Where's the Fifas and WWE games then?
I look forward to a Wii one where Wiifit/music based game is listed
When compiling a list of games which are "essential", you are trying to compile a list of the best possible games on the system which will appeal to the broadest group of people.
Look at Retro gamers recent list of 25 top Dreamcast games
Now obviously, there are exceptions to this rule, like Eternal Darkness, because it just lacked sufficient promotion, but on the whole, if a game is good and is widely accepted as being good, it will be recognized, and thus will earn itself a place on the list.

Star Fox: Assault: While not welcomed with warm reviews due to its short gameplay length and bad ground-mission controls
Not so widely excepted as being good then
As a perfect example of this, Ikaruga is a good game to you and me. But to many people, it will seem monotinous and is probably too hard for them. So, even if WE like it, most people probably don't, so it doesn't really deserve a spot.
Most people would never of owned a GameCube and think that the best games ever where probably on Sonys consoles and have probably never played on any console before that.
The average bloke off the street wont know most the games on your list (or any of the ones i have listed) and will be looking forward to COD Modern Warfare 3 and what ever music based game is out next week

Im glad not to be average.

they only problem i can point out with the list isn't really a problem but rather an improvement.

Metroid Prime Trilogy has all the goods of Prime 1 and 2 with 3's much better control scheme. so get that instead of 1 cause this way you get 3 great games in 1 disc.

RE4 on the Wii was praised even more then the GC version so its a better option.

Zelda Twilight Princess is also much better on the Wii. In fact, without the excellent motion controls the game isn't as good. The Wii version is the 'must-have'.

Pikmin 1, while nowhere near as good as 2, was remade for the Wii with better controls so it's also worth getting. Plus then you'll have 1 & 2 which is better.

and Melee and Double Dash are must haves. i love those games. i'm borrowing Melee currently and trying to find a copy of DD. i can never get tired of these games.

Double dash was a bit crappy in my opinion
I just didn't like the "Two karters one kart" thing
The weakest link in the series?

The PC version can also be played on-line (with more ease than the GameCube version)
Dose that make that version better?
Also, yes, sales DO factor into how an "essentials" list is compiled.
Where's the Fifas and WWE games then?
I look forward to a Wii one where Wiifit/music based game is listed

Look at Retro gamers recent list of 25 top Dreamcast games

Star Fox: Assault: While not welcomed with warm reviews due to its short gameplay length and bad ground-mission controls
Not so widely excepted as being good then
Most people would never of owned a GameCube and think that the best games ever where probably on Sonys consoles and have probably never played on any console before that.
The average bloke off the street wont know most the games on your list (or any of the ones i have listed) and will be looking forward to COD Modern Warfare 3 and what ever music based game is out next week

Im glad not to be average.

#1: Uh, no, because the PC version does not have everything the GC version has. 4 player splitscreen, and an actual game pad for starters. It's about personal preference when it boils down to it- but the point is, PC's are not really consoles anyway, and thus you can only compare the GC and DC versions. The DC version is inferior in EVERY SINGLE WAY, and by multitudes at that, and therefore PSO's real home is on the GC. Simple as that.

#2: Let me restate in hopes of letting it sink in more deeply..."sales DO factor into"....I never said they were the only factor. The other factor is ratings. The WWE games got crappy ratings, because it's a crappy game series. Reviewers didn't like it, most people didn't like it, and it only sold well because fans of the WWE franchise continuously buy it each year, much like how crazed Madden-fags purchase their yearly dose of the same half-ass game year after year.

#3: Uh, can you be a little more specific? Are you trying to entail that the top 25 DC list would have a ton of obscure games on it? No, really? You think? It's an almost unknown console with about 10 million units sold worldwide- everything is obscure. That's pointless.

#4: Did you bother to read the rest? Many reviews faulted it, giving it an average around 7/10 (which isn't even bad to begin with), but the PLAYER reviews were usually praising. The game sold very well, a lot of players loved it, and the reviews themselves weren't so bad- the game's only nail-in-the-coffin was the fact the big boys like IGN and Gamespot gave it a 7/10 or worse. However, due to the sales and reception of players, I'd say it deserves to be on the list.

#5: You have a point there. I'll give you that one. But it's not so simple as that. Games like SSBM and MKDD last gen were big sellers and were favored by a lot of people because they appealed to a large group of people, IE: the hardcore AND the casual, and whatever is in between. This is why such games deserve to be on the list.

@Everything Else: MKDD gets bashed on waaaaayyyyy too much. There was nothing wrong with it. It had a ton of tracks, great multiplayer modes (not to mention, it was one of the very few games that included LAN), lots of karts and racers, and good controls. It is essentially the same thing as MK64, just a tad slower and with another set of items to use (via your partner), that's all. Besides, who doesn't love the bouncing fireball, eh?

Last edited:
Split Screen 4 player was never that good of a idea on a game like that
What of the recent DS version?
Wont that be even better as its still going
Theres always the Xbox/PS2/360 versions as well
(Till Monster Hunter heh)
Take a look at the Dreamcast list
HA
Unknown thats a good joke
It gave the PS2 a run for its money
Even more so than the Game Cube
Lets have a look at retro Gamers top 25 Dreamcast games shall we

Toy Commander
Dyamite Cop
The Typing of the dead
Virtua tennis 2
Confidential mission
Sonic Adventure
Le Mans 24 hours
Space channel 5
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Samba De Amigo
Sega Narine Fishing
Power Stone 2
Chu chu rocket
MSR
Street Fighter 3 third Strike
Ikaruga
Resident evil code Veronica
Jet Set Radio
PSO
Crazy taxi
Soul Calibur
Skies of Arcadia
Rez
House of the dead 2
Shenmue /2
Wow it just creaks of obscure titles
Dont think many people have herd of Sonic Adventure, Soul calibur, PSO, House of the Dead 2, Resident Evil CV, Street Fighter 3/3, MSR, Vurtua Tennis 2, Marvel vs capcom 2 and Shenmue
But how many of them have come out on other consoles?
7/10 isnt a bad review but I dont really read reviews for the scores
(Theres a whole back history of rigged scores for back handers among some dodgy mags)
And there was that time when Edge Magazine game Gunstar Heroes a low score
Something they regretted doing
(And a recent PS3 mag gave it 37% saying it looked crap)

Point is
review scores are just a number(or hands in the case of the golden days of CVG mag) they mean nothing at the end of the day if you your self enjoy the game
If I bought my games off review scores i probably would never have most the games I have and enjoy now
They did sell well that I admit
But as I always say sales dont matter
Look at Shadow of the Colossus/Ico on PS2.
Shite sales but regarded as the best
@Everything Else: MKDD gets bashed on waaaaayyyyy too much. There was nothing wrong with it. It had a ton of tracks, great multiplayer modes (not to mention, it was one of the very few games that included LAN), lots of karts and racers, and good controls. It is essentially the same thing as MK64, just a tad slower and with another set of items to use (via your partner), that's all. Besides, who doesn't love the bouncing fireball, eh?
The two karters one kart thing made me dislike it.
But thats just my opinion.

Let us stop this now as this might go into one of them fan boy battles that become annoying

Split Screen 4 player was never that good of a idea on a game like that
What of the recent DS version?
Wont that be even better as its still going
Theres always the Xbox/PS2/360 versions as well
(Till Monster Hunter heh)
Take a look at the Dreamcast list
HA
Unknown thats a good joke
Even more so than the Game Cube
Lets have a look at retro Gamers top 25 Dreamcast games shall we

Toy Commander
Dyamite Cop
The Typing of the dead
Virtua tennis 2
Confidential mission
Sonic Adventure
Le Mans 24 hours
Space channel 5
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Samba De Amigo
Sega Narine Fishing
Power Stone 2
Chu chu rocket
MSR
Street Fighter 3 third Strike
Ikaruga
Resident evil code Veronica
Jet Set Radio
PSO
Crazy taxi
Soul Calibur
Skies of Arcadia
Rez
House of the dead 2
Shenmue /2
Wow it just creaks of obscure titles
Dont think many people have herd of Sonic Adventure, Soul calibur, PSO, House of the Dead 2, Resident Evil CV, Street Fighter 3/3, MSR, Vurtua Tennis 2, Marvel vs capcom 2 and Shenmue
But how many of them have come out on other consoles?

7/10 isnt a bad review but I dont really read reviews for the scores
(Theres a whole back history of rigged scores for back handers among some dodgy mags)
And there was that time when Edge Magazine game Gunstar Heroes a low score
Something they regretted doing
(And a recent PS3 mag gave it 37% saying it looked crap)

Point is
review scores are just a number(or hands in the case of the golden days of CVG mag) they mean nothing at the end of the day if you your self enjoy the game
If I bought my games off review scores i probably would never have most the games I have and enjoy now
They did sell well that I admit
But as I always say sales dont matter
Look at Shadow of the Colossus/Ico on PS2.
Shite sales but regarded as the best
The two karters one kart thing made me dislike it.
But thats just my opinion.

Let us stop this now as this might go into one of them fan boy battles that become annoying

Fanboyism? Pfffh, leave that for the Xbots mate. We're real gamers, let's not sully ourselves with such things.

#1: Well first of all, there never was a PS2 version of PSO, just that terrible spin-off. Secondly, the Xbox version really isn't worth mentioning, as it is completely integrated through Xbox live (and since it's not compatible with the 360, that means it can't be played online anymore, not even on a private server), doesn't have all the features of the GC version, and let's face it...This is the Xbox we're talking about here. It has the worst controller of the last 10 years, undoubtedly. So, again, it's really a matchup between DC and GC, and DC clearly loses that one. As for the DS version you mention, it's not even the same game...We're talking Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2, not some horrible portable spin-off with half the graphical capabilities and shoddy controls.

#2: ?

#3 I have about 5 friends who I play games with on a regular basis. I once spoke with them about the Dreamcast. None of them knew what it was, so I explained. The Dreamcast died in 2001, almost 10 years ago. Most "gamers" today, unfortunately represent ages 12 to 16, and none of them are going to know about a console which is older than they are. The fact is, the Dreamcast was a good console, but it was not a great console. I mean come on, let's be real here. I own a Dreamcast, and I've had fun playing SC, Rayman, Sonic Adventure, etc. on it. But when it all comes down to it, it's not a very good console by today's standards. Sure, it had some online games, so did the SNES, and the Saturn, and the N64, and the Genesis before it. Are you seriously telling me that the DC's library "trounces" the PS2? Have you gone mad? The DC has about 8 really quality titles. The GC and PS2 have more along the lines of 50 and 150 respectively. And yes, it does wreak of obscure titles. Almost no one knows about Rez or Ikaruga or Dynamite Cop. It's a very old console, and it's one which never made it past its second year, didn't sell very many games, and didn't sell very many consoles. Don't expect people to know about it, because they wouldn't, and they don't.

#4: That kind of just reinforces my point then, doesn't it? Reviewers are, for the most part, payed jackasses who sit around, play a game for 3 hours, and then either be overly or underly critical of it. If everyone thought what reviewers thought of a game like SFA, it wouldn't have sold a million some copies. What really matters is what players think, and players think of it just fine.

#5: Again...I'm not saying sales are the ONLY factor, but they are a contributing factor none the less. As I mentioned, you have games like Eternal Darkness which are just brilliant, but they don't sell well because they had no promotion, or in some cases, most people will just find them too hard. Overall however, any game that gets both bad reviews and has bad sales, is- yes, a bad game. Star Fox: Assault, as an example, got "bad" reviews, but had great sales, and great reception by gamers, and therefore is not a bad game.

BTW: Why are you using Ico and SOTC as examples of games that sold poorly? SOTC sold 140k copies in its first week, and has sold 940,000 worldwide so far (and it's still being produced might I add), Ico has sold around 700,000, and sold around 110,000 it's first week. That's pretty good, especially considering neither of them really had any advertising to speak of.

Fanboyism? Pfffh, leave that for the Xbots mate. We're real gamers, let's not sully ourselves with such things.
Fanboyism on retro consoles will never die
Was thinking of PSU
Graphics dont make the game
About that DS version
Taken off the wikki
Phantasy Star 0 received a high 33 out of 40 from Famitsu magazine, which praised the game's controls, game play, and online mode, noting "it really feels like an online game in the palm of your hand." The publication criticized the game's "softness of the sound."[5] Phantasy Star 0 sold approximately 84,055 copies during its debut week in Japan

A few answers got mixed up
I have about 5 friends who I play games with on a regular basis. I once spoke with them about the Dreamcast. None of them knew what it was, so I explained. The Dreamcast died in 2001, almost 10 years ago.
You need more gamer friends.
Most "gamers" today, unfortunately represent ages 12 to 16, and none of them are going to know about a console which is older than they are.
I can raise a good objection to that.
The average age of gamers is 25 to 30 due to a recent survey and even some of the younger ones that call them self's "HARDCORE" at least know of the early consoles
The fact is, the Dreamcast was a good console, but it was not a great console. I mean come on, let's be real here. I own a Dreamcast, and I've had fun playing SC, Rayman, Sonic Adventure, etc. on it. But when it all comes down to it, it's not a very good console by today's standards.
I know a few people on a different forums that can dispute that.

Sure, it had some online games, so did the SNES, and the Saturn, and the N64, and the Genesis before it.
The N64 had online?

Are you seriously telling me that the DC's library "trounces" the PS2? Have you gone mad?
Note the usage of past tense in my wording
True a lot of Dreamcast games got ported but thats probably because they where good
The DC has about 8 really quality titles. The GC and PS2 have more along the lines of 50 and 150 respectively. And yes, it does wreak of obscure titles.
It has more than 8 must haves

Almost no one knows about Rez or Ikaruga or Dynamite Cop. It's a very old console, and it's one which never made it past its second year, didn't sell very many games, and didn't sell very many consoles.
So is the Atari 2600 but that dosnt stop people from still playing on it often.
It didnt make it past its second year cause of Segas bad mistake and there are still games coming out for it so its not dead yet

Nope
I only ever read the reviews from trusted mags that know what there talking about (no single format as there biased)
I still ignore the score though

BTW: Why are you using Ico and SOTC as examples of games that sold poorly? SOTC sold 140k copies in its first week, and has sold 940,000 worldwide so far
Thats still quite poor for a PS2 game
(and it's still being produced might I add),
Where?
No stores I go into have it new.
That's pretty good, especially considering neither of them really had any advertising to speak of.
You musnt read magazines then
SOTC was advertised a lot

This is starting to turn into a bit of a debate here isnt it?
All this from a suggestion.

Fanboyism on retro consoles will never die
Was thinking of PSU
Graphics dont make the game
About that DS version
Taken off the wikki

A few answers got mixed up

You need more gamer friends.

I can raise a good objection to that.
The average age of gamers is 25 to 30 due to a recent survey and even some of the younger ones that call them self's "HARDCORE" at least know of the early consoles

I know a few people on a different forums that can dispute that.

The N64 had online?

Note the usage of past tense in my wording

True a lot of Dreamcast games got ported but thats probably because they where good

It has more than 8 must haves

So is the Atari 2600 but that dosnt stop people from still playing on it often.
It didnt make it past its second year cause of Segas bad mistake and there are still games coming out for it so its not dead yet

Nope
I only ever read the reviews from trusted mags that know what there talking about (no single format as there biased)
I still ignore the score though

Thats still quite poor for a PS2 game
(and it's still being produced might I add),
Where?
No stores I go into have it new.
That's pretty good, especially considering neither of them really had any advertising to speak of.
You musnt read magazines then
SOTC was advertised a lot

This is starting to turn into a bit of a debate here isnt it?
All this from a suggestion.

Debates are fun, that's why we have forums afterall :p. Debates are only bad when people start insulting each other and going "U SUK AT DIS GAME GET DAT NUT LUZER", and whatnot.

#1: Unfortunately I can't much counter that at this time, considering the game is only out in JP atm. I'm just going by what people who have played it have told me. However, reviews good or reviews bad, the DS does not have the capabilities to be as endearing as the original PSO. You're irght, graphics aren't all that matters, but they are a big part of it. One of the reasons PSO is so much different from all other RPGs out there is because of the way it looks. It puts a futuristic twist on the tried and true swords and sorcery genre, and all the landscapes are so vast and beautiful. That's something the DS just isn't powerful enough to recreate, as clearly seen by a few screen shots from PSZ right here:

PSZ: http://alteredconfusion.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/phantasystarportable1.jpg

PSO: http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/pso-dragon.jpg

*Cough*

#2: Ah, nvm then.

#3: You're probably right, as most of my friends barely play games at all, and aren't very open to trying anything outside of COD4 and Halo, which is disappointing to me as a retro gamer of sorts. However, I am simply using that statistic as an example that most people out there today don't know of such an aged console.

#4: A survey shows that most gamers are 25 to 30- on a survey mostly answered my 25 to 30 year olds. 15 year old kids wouldn't be taking such a survey in the first place, most likely. Also, look at the Wii. While many people own a Wii for collection purposes, or for the few exclusive games it has, the majority of people who own a Wii own it because they aren't hardcore, they're casual and they like easy games, but that makes them gamers none the less, and they know nothing of any consoles like the DC or saturn. As for the young ones who call themselves hardcore, I'd be willing to bet that in a group of 100 16 year old boys, only 10 of them had ever heard of the Dreamcast, let alone played one. Hardcore is something they like to call themselves- all it really means is that they sit in their basement most of the day on XBL playing Madden and COD.

#5: Well I'd love for you to give me some reasons, or tell me what you think they would say. It had comparatively few online games compared to the original Xbox, it had graphics 3 or 4 times worse than most 6th gen consoles, it had very few worthwhile exclusives, and it only had one analog stick, IE: first person shooters were basically non-existent outside of Outrigger and Quake 3 (which were both a ***** to control mind you). Now don't think I'm beating up on the DC, because I'm not. As I said, it's a good console. I even bought a new one last year new for $80 because of the nostalgia factor it had for me. But, if I had to choose between a gamecube and 5 of its best games, or the dreamcast and all of its games, it would be the more purple of the two.

#6: Mhm. Rather interesting actually. Lookup an attatchment called the "N64DD", it was a disc drive for the N64 that also had a built in modem which allowed players to connect to a service called "RANDnet", it was actually very similar to Sega Net in that it let people browse the web, check email, play games online, trade friend ID's, etc. It was a very advanced service, and was around a few years before DC came out. DC, contrary to popular belief, really didn't revolutionize online gaming, people just like to think it did.

#7: No, I realize you were speaking in the past tense. I also, maybe not as obviously, was too. Okay, for awhile you had some pretty sick games on the DC, like PSO, Headhunter (though that came out later), Fur Fighters, SC, Sonic Adventure, etc. Good stuff. But you forget, by the time PS2 came out, DC was half way down the road to Screwedville and had far fewer capabilities than the PS2, not to mention a lot of awesome games were already launch titles for the PS2, like Timesplitters. Most of the best games on DC also got ported later, though I will admit for the sake of nostalgia, I believe that most of them have their home on the DC, but there are some exceptions. The point being, the only time the DC gave the PS2 a run for its money is when the PS2 didn't even exist. Within a year of the PS2's existance, it already had better graphics, better games, more features, and a larger fan base than the DC, which is why the DC failed.

#8: Well, let's see...Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Power Stone 2, Code Veronica, Marvel vs capcom 2, jet grind radio, shenmue, and skies of arcadia. I omit games like PSO and Ikaruga because much better, updated versions of those games were released almost right afterwards for other consoles, so getting them on the DC would be kind of pointless. The DC had some good games, but for the most part, they were strange, niche-titles that really only appealed to a small user base.

#9: The Atari 2600 was a very successful console, it sold millions of units...But that aside, the DC failed partially because of Sega's incompetance, but also because Sony did a damn good job of convincing everyone that PS2 was the second coming of christ (though in my opinion, it is a mediocre console, but I can't deny that it has a broad appeal), and got people to believe they shouldn't buy a DC and instead wait for the PS2.

#10: Not really, I mean after all, very little advertising and both of them are pretty hard games which mean they won't sell as well as shovelware. As for that advertising bit, if you notice, not many people read magazines anymore. They read stuff on the internet. It's been that way for years. Yes, SOTC had that viral advtertising campaign, but it didn't last very long and wasn't very widely known about. As for Ico, again, basically no advertising whatsoever.

#11: They do, trust me. I bought a brand new copy for about 9.99 over at Shop Rite last month, quite a steal if I might add. The date of manufacture was listed as 2008, so even if they have stopped making it now, it wasn't more than a year or so ago they were still producing it, and who knows, maybe I just had an old copy. PS2 is still around, so as long as it is, they'll keep making games for people to buy for it. If you ask if they have new copies of some games for PS2 at Gamestop and whatnot, they usually have them under the counter in a drawr, but they never display them.

Back