British English vs American English

I don't know why you people would care about which dialect is better, its all english, just with different pronunciations and a bit of slang.

I don't know why you people would care about which dialect is better, its all english, just with different pronunciations and a bit of slang.
Well I care because it's interesting. I only live about 150 miles away from Emma yet I wouldn't understand most of what she just posted without the translations.

BIT of slang?

Clearly you need to talk to more British people outside of the "proper" context of a forum.

It's not a small country. D<
Don't you get in this, Kyle.
What? I agree with you. It's not like I could just nip up to Scotland for a day trip and be home by tea time.

Oh well, here's a sample of South Wales slang (Rach would probably know a lot more than this):

Butty - Friend, colleague
Chopsy - Talkative, rude
Cwtch - Cuddle
Daps - Shoes
Mitching - Playing truant
Potch - To mess around with
Proper - Often used in place of 'really' or 'definitely'
Tidy - Good, okay, quite a few

There's also the annoying habit in the Cardiff accent of pluralising verbs (e.g. 'I likes it', 'You knows it').

of course the winner is Indian English.

I mean what are your accents good for? Spies?

With an Indian Accent you can break the tension anywhere. I dare you to do that with your English or American accents.

I dunno, I think you could pull it off with a thick Welsh accent.

nah I just don't see it.

I mean

Man Walks in with Indian Accent and says "Robots are taking over the world"

Man walk in with Welsh Accent and says "Robots are taking over the world"

Seems that everyone would be on the floor laughing for the first one.

nah I just don't see it.

I mean

Man Walks in with Indian Accent and says "Robots are taking over the world"

Man walk in with Welsh Accent and says "Robots are taking over the world"

Seems that everyone would be on the floor laughing for the first one.
What if the Welsh guy said, "Robots are taking over the world, boyos"?

In some senses English is a simplified language: unlike most European languages it doesn't bother with gender inflection and grammatical cases. On the other hand, it's also quite complicated: it's highly inconsistent, every vowel letter has several different pronounciations with no way of knowing which one it should be, and it's restricted by a rigid word order.

Inconsistencies of English are due to the fact that through time there's rarely one authority on what the correct way to say things are. Even when Britain was ruling the world it didn't have authority over the language since Americans and Canadians were doing their own thing. It's not complex with purpose, it just happened.
I don't know what you mean by rigid word order. If you mean syntax, I am sure that a large percentage of other languages have much more rigid ones. In English there are things you can say in a variety of ways (it's how we have passive and active voices, etc.), while other languages are so strict (like you say, due to gender rules and other rules) that it is difficult to be ambiguous in any way.
I consider Spanish to be probably a polar opposite, as it consists of several rules, truly rigid grammar, and that there's actually a group of people dedicated to deciding what is proper and what isn't (La Academia Real de la Lengua, I believe.) If I'm not mistaken this is the case with most romantic languages.

Back