Buying advice: wii + TP or TP for gamecube

gregjp48@e

WiiChat Member
Aug 11, 2007
Okay, so I've been trying to get a wii, and am getting a bit frustrated at how hard they are to come by, and I really want to play twilight princess already!

Do you think I should just get TP for gamecube instead? Are the controls just for TP alone worth $250, because I don't like the looks of any of the other launch titles. Are the upcoming titles looking better? I'm looking forward to MP3, Resident Evil UC, and possibly Mario Galaxy, but that's all I've seen.

I'm not really worried about graphics, since I have a 360 for that, and was looking for something a bit... different. Plus I grew up on nintendo games, and i still have a soft spot for them.

Mainly, should I keep looking for a Wii, or just stick with my gamecube for now? I'm afraid that if I buy TP for gamecube now though, that if I decide to buy a Wii later, I'll be pissed I didn't get it for the Wii in the first place. I'm just worried if the system will be worth it, you know last gen games technically, controls that some call gimmicky. I'm sure the graphics and gameplay will be better than TP for a lot of games, since it's just a port of a game originally developed for GC though.

I really like the archery etc. in TP on the wii (using the analog stick with the bow is torture at times), but a console is a decently-sized purchase, and I want to be sure it's a good investment, and that the novelty of the Wiimote won't wear off too quickly.

What I'm really asking for is user opinions. Do you members like your systems? Are they worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wii = best choice

Gamecube = fassive mailure

The Wii is VERY MUCH worth the money.

EDIT: After playing Twilight Princess on the Wii, you'll NEVER want to use a gamepad again for any Zelda game.

i was also just thinking, my first console was the gamecube (I know), so I didn't get to play those NES and SNES games everyone raves about. Or Super Mario 64 (I've played OoT and Majora's Mask on collector's edition gamecube disks, so I haven't completely missed out). So I think the Wii might be worth it for me just for TP and virtual console. Add MP3 and Mario, possibly Resident evil, and I could be occupied for quite a while. I'm sure my friends would appreciate an extra controller for wii sports too.

Spyro said:
Wii = best choice
After playing Twilight Princess on the Wii, you'll NEVER want to use a gamepad again for any Zelda game.

I've heard about lag between you and link's sword on-screen.
Is in noticeable?

I didn't notice any lag and I have an LCD HDTV (which are the only TV's that are known to have any sort of lag, if they are built crappy).

Even if it did, it wouldn't matter. You get to a point where you don't try to do cool moves with the Wiimote (about 4 minutes into the game) and you just shake it violently until all enemies are dead, lol.

But the members here will tell you that shaking the wiimote violently is a buttload of fun!

Spyro said:
I didn't notice any lag and I have an LCD HDTV (which are the only TV's that are known to have any sort of lag, if they are built crappy).

Even if it did, it wouldn't matter. You get to a point where you don't try to do cool moves with the Wiimote (about 4 minutes into the game) and you just shake it violently until all enemies are dead, lol.

But the members here will tell you that shaking the wiimote violently is a buttload of fun!

lol so no *left right up jab jump* kind of thing just *leftrightleftrightleftrightleftrightleftrightleftrightleftrightleftright yay they're all dead!* kind of thing?

and by lag i meant is the motion from the wiimote 1:1 with link's sword? or is it like commands? if so is there a delay from when you swing your wiimote to when link swings his sword? on another note, is the stab a jab with the wiimote, or is it up on the nunchuck and a horizontal swing? I can't find a straight answer to that on the net, or maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

edit: does the gamcube controller work well as an n64/snes controller in virtual console, or should I buy the classic controller? I already have like 6 gamecube controllers (actually 5, the x and b button on one of them sticks (3rd party turbo junk)). Honestly, I want completely wireless (members of the family have tripped over the power lead to the gamecube countless times causing me to loose unsaved progress in OoT), so I may buy a used wavebird to go along with the wii if I get it, which I most likely am.

If you just want it for Zelda then get the GC one. The motion sensing isn't very useful in Zelda since you just shake the controller left and right and that does the same exact thing as it would do if you pushed a button on the GC controller.

paintba||er said:
If you just want it for Zelda then get the GC one. The motion sensing isn't very useful in Zelda since you just shake the controller left and right and that does the same exact thing as it would do if you pushed a button on the GC controller.

But then I said it wouldn't just be TP (although I'm sure a good percentage of playtime would be zelda, if not just TP then the older games as well).

MP3, Resident Evil UC, and Mario Galaxy would be nice too, not to mention what's [hopefully] to come. I would love to play Mario 64, Starfox 64, and some NES and SNES games like Super Metroid and Super Mario. And I already have the original LoZ on a gamecube disc. So I guess the console is worth it for 4 semi-launch titles plus a library of downloadable old ones, no? I'll have to watch, or I'll go broke just from buying VC games...

plus I do hate the bow aiming in GC, that turns out to be subtly different in every different Zelda game, but the one thing that remains is that you can't move while aiming unless you hold down L/Z at the same time, which is horribly inaccurate (I mean if you can't Z target an enemy). Plus, I have the money to spend, and I've made reckless purchases before that have turned out well (360 for instance), so why not. If anything I'll get a little fun.

Don't mind me, I'm just trying to prove that the purchase is worth it to myself, because I want to buy the thing, but am trying to convince myself to part with the money. I would take it in a heartbeat if someone was giving one away for free, but that isn't gonna happen, now is it?

It's scary when you put thing into perspective. The price of a Wii is a good percentage of that of a plane ticket. Why do the prices of consoles keep crawling slowly upward? I hope by 2010 (or whenever) the next next gen consoles aren't like upwards of 700 bucks, cause then at the rate the U.S. economy is going, we're all screwed. I Would have said upwards of 600, but we already have a contender this generation, don't we? :smilewinkgrin:

get the wii mate. not only for Zelda but for all the other stuff that goes with it! Can always play ur gamecube games on it too!

I think in your case it's not just about Zelda. If you have a TV that has no lag, then there will be no lag between you and Link. I'll let you in on something, but it's a semi-spoiler that would convince you that lag isn't a problem:
Not long into the game you learn special attacks that let you press "A" to lunge or swing your sword, so you're not shaking the wiimote all game

Like I was saying, don't just consider it for Zelda. Super Smash Brothers BRAWL will be a Wii exclusive. What are you gonna do when it comes out and you can't get it because you only have gamecube?! Not to mention Mario Kart Wii (which will be online). Metroid comes out in about 2 weeks as well.

The Wii is a good investment, and I fought myself over it like you are now and I have no regrets in taking the plunge. $250 is a great price. Nintendo will always know where it's at and how to deliver.

get the wii version, it really works well because you can really tell that nintendo did spend a lot of time making the wii version

yes they are essentially the same, but the controls on the wii are something better (and when fighting ganon you'll understand)

Back