Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Can PC Gaming be Saved from Extinction?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shiz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. shiz

shiz WiiChat Member

Apparently there is going to be an announcement this week at GDC about the creation of some PC Gaming Alliance (Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft, Intel, etc). Their one purpose is to save PC Gaming from extinction.

How do they plan on doing it? They want to standardise the PC and make it more like a console. By creating a PC that is not customizable, they can hope that PC game developers will start making games that will be run on the "pc console".

Is that really the answer to PC gaming?? Do we really need another console in the market?

source:
    http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Will_the_PC_Gaming_Alliance_Save_the_Day/

2. Floydd

Floydd 雨... 雨..

A PC game console? Wow... Besides theres more than enough WoW players, and along with SA:MP, and a few other online games. I really don't think they should make a PC game console.

3. The_Mitch

The_Mitch UNACCEPTABLE

Wii Friend Code: 2025-2025-2025-2025
    2025-2025-2025-2025
    just make it so you can use mouse and keyboard on the consoles. problem solved

4. Napalmbrain

Napalmbrain WiiChat Member

I wasn't aware PC gaming was endangered in the first place. Damn, those zillions of copies of Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft being sold had me fooled.

5. Sillyhat

Sillyhat The Crusher

Yeah really since when is PC gaming in trouble? I'd rather play any game on the computer than 360 or PS3. The best part about PC games is how you can customize it such as making new maps. You can't do that on consoles.

6. sherlock12

sherlock12 WiiChat Member

Florida. In the officail disney hate club.
    Wii Friend Code: 1234-1234-1234-1234
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    PC gaming is awesome, easy online options, funner first person shooters. etc. etc. I think a "pc console" is a stupid idea. PC gamers (like myself) aren't going anywhere.:cool:

7. Floydd

Floydd 雨... 雨..

Cheers to that.

8. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

its no where near extinction... wtf..

but instead of releasing a pc itself.. they should just set standards.. like maybe 3 tiers. the first being average graphics and such, second being better but not the best, and the third being somewhere near the best available. then all games released should be required to be able to run on all 3 tiers.

9. manred

manred Animal Collective

Wii Friend Code: 0000-0000-0000-0000
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Two cheers to that.

10. kurokaito

kurokaito  Juice

Ummmmm, isn't Alienware a good enough PC to run games on? And how is the Pc Gaming going to be extinct? Crysis was a hit along with the orange box, unless they mean that almost NO PC CAN HANDLE CRYSIS.

11. shiz

shiz WiiChat Member

with the frequency of hardware updates that would be nearly impossible

12. tloztw

tloztw SLAUGHTER THE TRENDS

Wii Friend Code: 8872-9897-2756-7507
    8872-9897-2756-7507
    i think more people would be playing pc games if monster hunter frontier didnt have an overseas IP block from japan =\

13. Eddienoteddy

Eddienoteddy mii love wii

Wii Friend Code: 1656-4947-1080-8284
    1656-4947-1080-8284
    if you think PC gaming is facing extinction you have been severely disconnected from the world..since...forever

14. shiz

shiz WiiChat Member

you, sir, are in denial

15. Floydd

Floydd 雨... 雨..

Not quite. Just take a look of how many people are on WoW, and (obviously) they're all on a PC. And WoW is just the start, there's a lot more games that have massive amounts of online players on the PC.

16. WiitnessID

WiitnessID WiiChat Member

At the rate that they are moving they will hit another wall. CPU and GPU wise the winners are about to start slowing their pace and raising the price. PC gaming is fine. I play a number of online games on the PC and servers are still mostly full even on some quake 3 servers. I think people are crying over crysis yet no one told them to expect people to buy that when it first came out. I mean really most people will not play that game for another 2-4 years...LOL

A PC console would be a very bad thing. I like the break neck speed and I want more!

Also notice how IBM is not in that mix! The PC has always been a console it's just people treat it differently. The xbox is the console PC...seriously thats part of it's whole appeal.

17. Sovieto

Sovieto Banned

actually WoW is more or less the reason of this talk. i was listening to a podcast where they talked about how WoW is hurting the industry, funneling all gamer's pocket money into 1 game and 9 million people only playing one game that won't buy any others.

18. Floydd

Floydd 雨... 雨..

Very true.

19. powerpc127

powerpc127 Bustin makes me feel good

Wii Friend Code: 3083-0092-7721-0385
    3083-0092-7721-0385
    mhwuah-ha-ha Nothing can be done to save your pathetic PC games now. They will all be crushed by the might of the consoles. When this day comes, the Mac will rise as the undisputed champion of the computers, reclaiming its proper place in our households. These companies' puny alliance is insignifigant.

20. Floydd

Floydd 雨... 雨..

Hahaha. I do agree Macs are better, but I would only buy a Notebook. They can only play a select few games, so for me that's not too good.