Can PC Gaming be Saved from Extinction?

shiz

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2007
Apparently there is going to be an announcement this week at GDC about the creation of some PC Gaming Alliance (Nvidia, AMD, Microsoft, Intel, etc). Their one purpose is to save PC Gaming from extinction.

How do they plan on doing it? They want to standardise the PC and make it more like a console. By creating a PC that is not customizable, they can hope that PC game developers will start making games that will be run on the "pc console".

Is that really the answer to PC gaming?? Do we really need another console in the market?

source:
http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Will_the_PC_Gaming_Alliance_Save_the_Day/

A PC game console? Wow... Besides theres more than enough WoW players, and along with SA:MP, and a few other online games. I really don't think they should make a PC game console.

I wasn't aware PC gaming was endangered in the first place. Damn, those zillions of copies of Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft being sold had me fooled.

Napalmbrain said:
I wasn't aware PC gaming was endangered in the first place. Damn, those zillions of copies of Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft being sold had me fooled.

Yeah really since when is PC gaming in trouble? I'd rather play any game on the computer than 360 or PS3. The best part about PC games is how you can customize it such as making new maps. You can't do that on consoles.

its no where near extinction... wtf..

but instead of releasing a pc itself.. they should just set standards.. like maybe 3 tiers. the first being average graphics and such, second being better but not the best, and the third being somewhere near the best available. then all games released should be required to be able to run on all 3 tiers.

Ummmmm, isn't Alienware a good enough PC to run games on? And how is the Pc Gaming going to be extinct? Crysis was a hit along with the orange box, unless they mean that almost NO PC CAN HANDLE CRYSIS.

Sovieto said:
its no where near extinction... wtf..

but instead of releasing a pc itself.. they should just set standards.. like maybe 3 tiers. the first being average graphics and such, second being better but not the best, and the third being somewhere near the best available. then all games released should be required to be able to run on all 3 tiers.

with the frequency of hardware updates that would be nearly impossible

i think more people would be playing pc games if monster hunter frontier didnt have an overseas IP block from japan =\

if you think PC gaming is facing extinction you have been severely disconnected from the world..since...forever

Eddienoteddy said:
if you think PC gaming is facing extinction you have been severely disconnected from the world..since...forever

you, sir, are in denial

shiz said:
you, sir, are in denial

Not quite. Just take a look of how many people are on WoW, and (obviously) they're all on a PC. And WoW is just the start, there's a lot more games that have massive amounts of online players on the PC.

Back