Is the PC losing its gaming mojo?

shiz

WiiChat Member
Nov 13, 2007
Of course the PC will never lose all of its "mojo", but do you guys think that it could perhaps get taken over as a primary gaming console in the future? With systems like xbox 360 and PS3 that perform much of what the computer offers to gaming at a much cheaper price, its hard to think that computer gaming has such a big future.

I think one of the main things that deter gamers from pc games is the constant NEED to upgrade your system in order to play the latest and greatest games on decent settings with decent framerates. Take Crysis for example, the game is amazing, but definitely caters to the computer gamers that are able to afford a computer that can run it. Of course its playable on the lower settings, but you don't nearly get the full experience from the game if you can't enjoy it in all its graphical glory.

I considered myself to be a PC gamer. I refused to buy a console for the console-exclusive games that I wanted to play and any other game I would just play the pc port of the game. Well... last week I caved in and bought an xbox 360. I must say, it is a much better gaming platform than the PC.. but that is my opinion of course. Also, its nice not having to worry about upgrading hardware and such. I hadn't really played any console shooters since Goldeneye so COD4 took awhile to get used to.. but with a bit of practice, it was just as natural as using a mouse and keyboard.

Anyways, what do you guys think? perhaps the PC offers benefits that will never be able to be overshadowed by the console giants.. only the future will tell.

Here is the related article that sparked this discussion:

http://www.gamealmighty.com/l/story-individual/story/2007_in_Review_The_PC/

Pcs -Expenisve to keep up to date
Consoles - Plug in and play (mostly) PS3 is exempt from this, install a game before play
MADNESS

*shrugs*

All I knows is I could buy a $300 360 and pay for online, or just upgrade the decent computer I already have (which I got for everyday purposes) for much less.

I think the consoles will never replace the PC because everyone buys a computer anywho, and if you get a good computer you can play some of the best games.

Darkprinny said:
Pcs -Expenisve to keep up to date
Consoles - Plug in and play (mostly) PS3 is exempt from this, install a game before play
MADNESS

very true.. and as consoles become more capable of doing exactly as a PC does.. there almost becomes no need to have a gaming computer

i dont really know. i like consoles because when you buy a game it will work on your system or your money back (unless you buy a PS3 game for your 360 or something like that). however PCs can produce better performance but at the cost of high price (gfx card alone can cost $400) and you cant upgrade consoles. i think it will stay about the same for a while

JAKE196 said:
*shrugs*

All I knows is I could buy a $300 360 and pay for online, or just upgrade the decent computer I already have (which I got for everyday purposes) for much less.

I think the consoles will never replace the PC because everyone buys a computer anywho, and if you get a good computer you can play some of the best games.

I think its £40 a year for 360 online (im unsure as mines not online due to crappy ip)

trisyyy said:
games like WOW, and runescpae, heck, even Halo hasn't lost its touch on the PC

for now, yes.. but will it always be that way?

trisyyy said:
games like WOW, and runescpae, heck, even Halo hasn't lost its touch on the PC

LOL
Console gamers have halo the third

maybe bring MMO's to consols like WOW and you might have my undivided attention... the only thing they are missing i guess is an easy way to type message to each other like a keyboard...

toomstone said:
maybe bring MMO's to consols like WOW and you might have my undivided attention... the only thing they are missing i guess is an easy way to type message to each other like a keyboard...

well they do have the tiny keyboard that they sell for messaging purposes.. not sure how much it costs off the top of my head.

not to mention they have adapters that allow you to play with a mouse and keyboard :)

First off, the PC has not been the primary gaming console in a long itme, if ever. Console game sales are far and away above PC game sales.

As far as PC game sales dying, people have been predicting the death of PC gaming for a long, long time. It has it's cycles, and has some bad years, but there are things that can be done on PCs that just can not be easily done on a console (yet). Also factor in the cost of entry into the market. With the current (and past) gens of consoles, you have to pay the console maker for rights to make your game. The PC world does not have that restriction at all. That factor alone will keep PC gaming alive for years to come.

PC gaming will never die.

I'll just say that the PC will always offer things that consoles can't provide, or aren't willing to provide with respect to gaming.

IMO the PC still offers, better online, better graphics, better control, and more flexibility to do with a game what you want. What PC gamers call modding - which I may add has been around a loooooooooong time - is called hacking by Nintendo. The PS3 is going to allow UT3 mod downloads through it's service from what I hear, but we'll see how that turns out.

The only point you have wrong is that you HAVE to upgrade a system. You can run really great framerates and resolutions for about 4 years. The last time a game like Crysis happened was like...Quake III.

Until I get an RTS, I'm liking my comp.

people make out that the upgrading is like walking into a gunfight with a knife... it isn't like that at all their are up grades to make the games better thats what they do so you are always getting the best bang for you buck... next thing is sometimes they do cost a fair whack of money BUT personal i upgrade my comp as frequently as i buy a new console maybe a bit more but thats only because of that i mentioned before about the fact that it continues to get better and betters in PC gaming...

Back