Can the Wii Controllers work with NES, SNES and 64 games?

I wonder if it is possible to get a N64 output to GC input converter and use an N64 controller with the VC?

that would be really cool. Right now im looking for a xbox to gamecube controler adapter. I really dont like the xbox but the xcontroler for the xbox really fits my hands perfect. I have a adapter for the pc and its the best pc gamepade ever. Most pc gamepads really really suck in my opinion and they are more expensive then console gamepads+adapater. so i will be post here (just cuz) all controller adapters to gamecube. more should come soon if i can find any.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-k5n.html

doesent seem to be a stright converter from the xbox controler to the gamecube, but i wonder if i could just jack in the wii usb and pray really really hard?

sorry, couldent find one for the n64 as well, although really i never did like the n64 controler, but thats just me. But i can fully see why you would want one with the vc. stuped ps2 getting all the adapters....

Last edited:
IGN's Wii Launch Guide implies that the standard Wiimote can be used to play NES games.

If you go the section about the remote, then click on number 6 for information about Buttons 1 and 2, they mention that the remote can be held sideways to play classic NES games and racers.

But who knows. That's buried in an article that might not be fully informed anyway.

wiiener said:
Im almost 100% sure that the nintendo wii console comes with 1 wiimote w/ nunchuk attachement. It would make the customers angry if they bought the system and a game like zelda (that uses the nunchuk) without knowing that they also had to buy a seperate piece of hardware. As for the retro controller ... im not sure, some people say that it has to come with the system since you can access the old games from the start ... but we won't know until more info is released or until the system acctually releases.

The Wiimote and the Nunchuk both come in the box. It is on the IGN Weekly Movie, Unpacking the Wii. And answering the topic from way way early in the thread, NES games are played with the Wiimote on its side, the Classic (VC) and GameCube Controller. SNES and N64 games are played with just Classic and GameCube.

Here's the official word: Wii.Nintendo.com

Yes, the Wii remote will work with all NES games, as well as Genesis and TurboGraphx-16 games. The classic controller works with all Virtual Console games. The GameCube controller works with NES, SNES, and N64 games. It says that compatibility with Genesis and TurboGraphX-16 is "Undetermined". Basically, "Undetermined" means that Nintendo wants you to buy a Classic Controller.

when i selected certain games on the virtual console, it would show the wiimote, classic controller or gc controller icons implying that certain game is compatible with that particular type of controller. So far i purchased solomon's key and donkey kong and the wii mote works fine using it horizontal.

Back