Can't connect wii to home wireless network

LowTechMom

WiiChat Member
Jan 26, 2008
We have a Time Warner wireless network. They installed a Motorola SBV5220box and another small box which doesn't seem to have a brand name or model number on it, but it seems to me the name sounded like or started with amb (told you I was low tech!). When they installed the wireless network, I had no trouble connecting my wifi printer or laptop...we just put in the number on the sticker on the motorola, followed by 14 zeros and I think we then put in our password and it connected fine. Same experience with our wifi printer.

We just got our kids a wii, and when we try to connect...to the wireless, we go to where it asks for key..we put in the number on the sticker folllowed by 14 zeros and we get an error...

I called Time Warner and the tech was reading off a sheet telling us to do what we already did. So he tried clearing our line and had us try again...still no luck.

I tried doing the manual connection where you put in the IP address and we still got the same error message! Help!!!

-signed...LowTechMom:yikes:

I'm fairly sure that the Motorola is not compatible with the Wii. There is a list on the Wii support website that lists which routers have known compatibility issues. I remember reading a Motorola on there, but i am not entirely sure.

The SBV5220 is just a cable modem. Specific compatibility with it isn't required. It does not provide wireless access... most likely, the "mystery device" is a wireless router of some sort, but we'd need more info on it to help you.

Therefore, any numbers off the Motorola cable modem aren't going to be of any use getting online.

To get online, you need the following:

1) The SSID of the wireless router/access point. This is usually broadcast by it and so can be picked up by the device trying to connect.

2) The WPA/WEP security key, if encryption is enabled (recommended). This would be set at the router end and then you'd enter in the same key on the device trying to connect. If encryption isn't being used, the device shouldn't prompt you for one.

3) MAC address of the connecting device, if MAC Address Filtering is enabled on the router/access-point. This would have to be obtained off the Wii then entered on the router.

Here's my 2 cents...

I also had a hard time getting connected even though I am pretty comfortable working with these kind of settings. For whatever reason, I could not make a connection using my WEP password. So I deleted the WEP and just enabled MAC filtering on my network. That way, only the MAC addresses that I specify can use my network. It's a simplified security system :) And in my case, the Wii has no problem connecting. Hope this helps you.

When I tried to connect and the wii asked me for the key, I put in the MAC address and got the error..so I tried my network password (my WEP key) and got an error. when you get to that screen and they ask for your key...what do I put in...do I put in a combination of the two or just one for starters?

LowTechMom said:
When I tried to connect and the wii asked me for the key, I put in the MAC address and got the error..so I tried my network password (my WEP key) and got an error. when you get to that screen and they ask for your key...what do I put in...do I put in a combination of the two or just one for starters?

When you detect the router, and then it asks for a "password" it is your WEP key. You never need to enter your MAC address in your wii because it already knows it. Try entering your wep key again.

klsrc said:
So I deleted the WEP and just enabled MAC filtering on my network. That way, only the MAC addresses that I specify can use my network. It's a simplified security system :)
Actually, it's no security really. Although someone can't freeload off your internet connection easily[1], everything you do online is wide-open for anyone on your block to watch. This includes your emails, your passwords, your IMs, etc.

I've had to demonstrate this harsh reality to people sometimes to get the point across. Nothing like the wake-up call of showing them their email password.

Encryption serves an important purpose. I'd recommend using it.

[1] - Actually, stealing your internet connection is as simple as cloning your MAC address, which is easy to sniff off the air. A moderately-determined person could do this without much effort.

So is it that password that time warner had me create that I enter, and not that number off the motorola box that I enter?

Back