Change the language on my Japanese Wii to English?

I also have a Japanese Wii bought in China - modded cuz it plays US/English games as well as the japanese ones. And to date, there's still no way to change the system language to english.

I downloaded the english manuals online and for the most part haven't used them much because, as it was pointed out to me, there are usually only 2 options in the set-up menus -"Yes" and "Back" (Yes being normally the button on the bottom-right). So navigating thru the japanese menus and setting up the basic stuff is pretty much an easy trial and error method.

The only thing left for me to try out is going online, but fear that some random upgrade/update will brick my unit, is what's keeping me from doing it...

Last edited:
dirob said:
I also have a Japanese Wii bought in China - modded cuz it plays US/English games as well as the japanese ones. And to date, there's still no way to change the system language to english.

I downloaded the english manuals online and for the most part haven't used them much because, as it was pointed out to me, there are usually only 2 options in the set-up menus -"Yes" and "Back" (Yes being normally the button on the bottom-right). So navigating thru the japanese menus and setting up the basic stuff is pretty much an easy trial and error method.

The only thing left for me to try out is going online, but fear that some random upgrade/update will brick my unit, is what's keeping me from doing it...

It's actually safer to connect and do an update, and then disconnect. Because if you dont do online updates, you risk some game doing an update for you, and if that game is not from your region, you'll have a brick on your hands.

Farowe said:
wiiked ,theres a little hard way to change, if you manage to buy a multiple region chip for the wii and install, you could change to all the languaje now the only problem is installing it or getting it.

Can you calrify this? I have a japanese Wii with a multi region chip... is there some way to change the language with that?

sorry to double post... but any help would be really nice, if anybody knows anything please let us know.

wager1, i have the so-called "multi-region" chip in my japanese wii, but unfortunately there is still no way to change the language into english or any other language. the chip only allows you to play games from different regions - but not all. if the game is in english it will display english. wish i had better news...

ah thats a shame... was given a glimpse of hope for a second... thanks for the quick response dirob.

what sucks big time too is that when i connected to the net, all i got were the nintendo web channels in japanese and couldn't access into their english sites or other sites like the Mii communities that my friends who have the US version unit have been doing. people tell me that all i can do online is to get updates...but i still haven't been able to figure that out.

maybe its time to make new friends from japan and invite them over...?

Yeah thats the only thing that I hate about the japanese console... makes it hard even impossible to access online content. Japanese friends would be great! but changing the language would be nice... :(
Gonna see if i can trade my console in for an American one.

Hello guys! I just got a japanese wii veeery cheap and I went to install the modchip (wiios) but doesn´t seem to read american discs, any tip?!?!?? Are certain games not compatible, or its the chip it has?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer ciper, they´re all burned, i got a couple of american originals as well but no luck (DBZ and rampage) and i got alot of burned... i updated japanese wii to 2.2 and well no luck i got an american wii as well with wiios and it reads the burned games just fine, just the japanese wont (as i said i got this japanese really cheap so that´s why i have it and took it to a mod store to get it modded as the american one). Could it be that, that the wiios is not as good as wiikey? I just read on several websites wiikey has no problems with playing usa/jp games, but i haven´t find any positive statement saying the same with wiios.

billcsho said:
Which mod chip did you choose? Some are not region free hacked.

Latest WiiOS (I just described my status in the post above yours, seems we posted at the same time ;) )

Back