Chatting ( or voip ) possible on the Wii ?

cyberzomby

OH NOES! A PICTURE
May 9, 2007
Netherlands
Wii Online Code
4855-3513-2198-8739
Ive came acros an article on a dutch wii fansite ( translated of course ) :

Thursday 16 august 2007: You can already send e-mails with the wii to persons in youre adresbook. A quicker way to communicate has yet to be introduced. But it seems like it wont take very long.
In nintendo's newest update ( followed by a patch ) they added a new function to Parental Control: Restrict online communication

At first glance you would think that this option turns of the e-mail ability. NOT THE CASE !

Would this be the first step to a chat function or maybe even VOIP?

Hmmmmm this would be very cool if they would add chat or even VOIP ! :yikes:

nice observation I hope it is for some voice chat, that would really improve the online play for me.

I talk to people I'm playing against on my Wii all the time. I can only assume by the silence I get back from them that I've left them speechless due to my stunning observations.

penguinphil said:
I talk to people I'm playing against on my Wii all the time. I can only assume by the silence I get back from them that I've left them speechless due to my stunning observations.
LMAO.....AGAIN!

same here

There doesn't exist anything yet, but like you said, parental controls were updated with a new setting for communications. The same update enabled keyboard support so my guess is we can at least expect text chat. There is no way to know if the same update also added support for some kind of headset.

If you are playing friends online you can always just use the voice chat on some kind of instant messenger.

Yea thats true but it seems like a lot of hassle.

And lol @ Pinguing

Anyone tried to disable online communications and play a match NFL 08 then in the internet and use chat?

penguinphil said:

You are by far the funniest penguin I know!!

I think there will be voice chat sooner or later because the DS Already has it. Why wouldnt the Wii and more kids have DS than Wii so why not?

it will not be that hard to do... don't think it will be that far off.. also will you be able to chat whilst playing a game or before and after?

u guys might think im stupid or dumb for this question but i dont. wat is VOIP and wat is LMAO??????? i see these two EVERYWHERE!

paintba||er said:
I doubt it will happen. Nintendo is too worried about little kids getting raped.

VOIP = Voice over internet protocol
LMAO = Laugh my ass off

I read that kids can do voice chat in pokemon on the ds there is a little headset and mic for sale for voice chat on the ds so I dont see why not on the wii

Yeah, if they didnt do it before than it is understandable that Nintendo wants to protect the little kids. But if they already do it on the DS than I see no reason why not.

Back