Confusion

ssbb_lover said:
GoW isn't an FPS...not even close.
It's a third person shooter (at least it looks it from the video). I'd say that's pretty close. Not as close as an on-rails shooter, but quite close still (considering that some first person shooters do have a 3rd person perspective). True, it's not a FPS, but it does have the same kind of game mechanics (just from a different perspective).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBlVCP5v5Wc
Sorry enough to say, i've never seen GoW gameplay till I watched that vid....that game looks incredible
I'm probably going to be on my own in saying this here, but I was actually quite turned off by it. Not sure if it was the video itself, but it didn't seem all that colourful. Also, I felt a little sick on the sprinting parts. I know it's meant to be realistic and all, but I just kinda felt like it was meant to be a documentary or something. Also, if I wanted that much realism in a game like that, I think I'd prefer to go paintballing... Also, it looked a little too close to Halo for my comfort, although I didn't really get into Halo to begin with.

Wii doesn't have any online yet, and even when we do get it, it's gonna suck (unfortunately)
It isn't even out yet, and you're saying it will suck? Personally, I think I'd prefer the "sucky" free online to a subscription service. As long as it works...

Last edited:
Squall7 said:
It's a third person shooter (at least it looks it from the video). I'd say that's pretty close. Not as close as an on-rails shooter, but quite close still (considering that some first person shooters do have a 3rd person perspective). True, it's not a FPS, but it does have the same kind of game mechanics (just from a different perspective).

I'm probably going to be on my own in saying this here, but I was actually quite turned off by it. Not sure if it was the video itself, but it didn't seem all that colourful. Also, I felt a little sick on the sprinting parts. I know it's meant to be realistic and all, but I just kinda felt like it was meant to be a documentary or something. Also, if I wanted that much realism in a game like that, I think I'd prefer to go paintballing...

It isn't even out yet, and you're saying it will suck? Personally, I think I'd prefer the "sucky" free online to a subscription service. As long as it works...
gears has cover systems, you you can roll and do what nots so its not like a fps, and the view you get and things you can do are all very different from FPSs and its not all about who can aim the quickest at all
GoW is def. a mature game, its color theme is grey, you can tell, like how Zelda TP's color theme seems to be brown, + you can turn up the brightness anyways, that video seemed to have default settings on, but no green bubbly trees and mushrooms here:)
friend codes...meh...i doubt voice com will even be an option since they want enough security to have friend codes again, at the most itll probably be you can only talk to wii friends with a mic
online servers may not be the greatest + on FPS online games people are just going to find the best way to play, so while your doing huge movements and what not, their just doing a cheap way of play to win

Squall7 said:
There's only 1st-person, 2nd-person, and 3rd-person...they're labeled like that because they're different. That's like saying the "cricket" (an imaginary gun from Men and Black that can blow up an entire house with one little shot) is 'technically' the same thing as a desert eagle...sure one is about 1000 x's stronger than the other, but they're both classified as pistols...

I'm probably going to be on my own in saying this here, but I was actually quite turned off by it. Not sure if it was the video itself, but it didn't seem all that colourful. Also, I felt a little sick on the sprinting parts. I know it's meant to be realistic and all, but I just kinda felt like it was meant to be a documentary or something. Also, if I wanted that much realism in a game like that, I think I'd prefer to go paintballing... Also, it looked a little too close to Halo for my comfort, although I didn't really get into Halo to begin with.
All I can say is that's your opinion. I think the sprinting part was pretty cool looking in my mind, the angle kinda tilted and all; I liked it. Sure I would rather go play paintball or airsoft, but that doesn't make this game bad.
I agree with you, I just want online. I don't care how much it sucks, it's free.

I'm probably going to be on my own in saying this here, but I was actually quite turned off by it. Not sure if it was the video itself, but it didn't seem all that colourful. Also, I felt a little sick on the sprinting parts. I know it's meant to be realistic and all, but I just kinda felt like it was meant to be a documentary or something. Also, if I wanted that much realism in a game like that, I think I'd prefer to go paintballing...
and youd rather aim a gun on the wii which is more real than go airsoft/paintballing?
btw watch the video i linked, its a montage, not round after round

ssbb_lover said:
And so I will.

Listen, dude. I'm a Nintendo fanboy and i'm going to debate against you on the side of the Xboxers.

I'm not informed on the selling of units, all I know is nextgenwars said 9.[something] million; that doesn't mean anything.

GoW isn't an FPS...not even close. In case you didn't know, FPS means First Person Shooter....in other words you're looking through the eyes of your character. Tell me, is this 'FPS'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBlVCP5v5Wc
Sorry enough to say, i've never seen GoW gameplay till I watched that vid....that game looks incredible

360 doesn't have 2 games online, go to your local store. Look at the games. How many say "Xbox Live" on them? And as many as you count, that's not even all of them. Wii doesn't have any online yet, and even when we do get it, it's gonna suck (unfortunately); but it'll sitll be awesome to kick online SSBB ass. :devil:

Don't you come up with your so called 'facts', because I believe that 'facts' that are made up are called fiction....?

I'm sure Sovieto is surprised seeing me stand up for the 360....but Wiitendo, you're an extremely biased Nintendo fanboy. At least i'm an incy bit fair.
Very Nice:yesnod: Wiired don't do it, It's still to early to be deciding whether you not want to sell you Wii.

Sovieto said:
gears has cover systems, you you can roll and do what nots so its not like a fps, and the view you get and things you can do are all very different from FPSs and its not all about who can aim the quickest at all
I'm sorry, that just sounds like added features to me. A slight evolution of the third person shooter genre.

GoW is def. a mature game
That's the first time that's been brought up, considering it wasn't in even in question.

its color theme is grey, you can tell, like how Zelda TP's color theme seems to be brown
Well, to be fair, it isn't just browns. Take a look at hyrule field. Take a look at the sunset. Take a look at Zoras fountain. Take a look at Hyrule Castle. Take a look at Gerudo desert. There's plenty of colour in there.

+ you can turn up the brightness anyways, that video seemed to have default settings on, but no green bubbly trees and mushrooms here:)
Ok, you've just gone from one extreme to the other.

friend codes...meh...i doubt voice com will even be an option since they want enough security to have friend codes again, at the most itll probably be you can only talk to wii friends with a mic
And that's a bad thing? Are you saying it will be let down for the fact that you can't hear an annoying person on the end chuckling to themselves before saying "noob"? Also, friendcodes aren't that bad. Sure it's a 12 digit number, but geez, it's not like you have to enter it in every time, and it's not like your limited to whoever is on your friendcode list.

Sorry for the double post - these replies are coming thick and fast.
ssbb_lover said:
There's only 1st-person, 2nd-person, and 3rd-person...they're labeled like that because they're different. That's like saying the "cricket" (an imaginary gun from Men and Black that can blow up an entire house with one little shot) is 'technically' the same thing as a desert eagle...sure one is about 1000 x's stronger than the other, but they're both classified as pistols...
Did you just try to dispute me, by making an anology between guns? For a start, there's no power difference between 1st and 3rd person shooters, only different perspectives. Second, what about on-rails shooter? That is also first person, but has more of a difference between regular first person shooters and third person shooters.

All I can say is that's your opinion.
And that's all it was meant to be.

I think the sprinting part was pretty cool looking in my mind, the angle kinda tilted and all; I liked it. Sure I would rather go play paintball or airsoft, but that doesn't make this game bad.
I'm not saying it make it bad, I'm just saying that if I wanted so much "realism" in a game, I'd prefer to do it in real life.

I agree with you, I just want online. I don't care how much it sucks, it's free.
Me too. Still, the delay of Metroid Prime 3 is a pretty good sign of there being implemented one. Also, Smash Bros will be excellent online. Red Steel 2 had a job posting for somebody with experience in some kind of online work - so we should see a version of that online. Battalion Wars 2 will be online as well. I think the online should be done well - Nintendo never releases anything without playing it inside and out first, and I believe the online play will be no exception.

sovieto said:
and youd rather aim a gun on the wii which is more real than go airsoft/paintballing?
I never said that. I'd prefer aiming with the wiimote to the 360 controller, but real life beats both of them - and so it should. The wii is not designed to be a shooting simulator.

Last edited:
Squall7 said:
I'm sorry, that just sounds like added features to me. A slight evolution of the third person shooter genre.

That's the first time that's been brought up, considering it wasn't in even in question.

Well, to be fair, it isn't just browns. Take a look at hyrule field. Take a look at the sunset. Take a look at Zoras fountain. Take a look at Hyrule Castle. Take a look at Gerudo desert. There's plenty of colour in there.

Ok, you've just gone from one extreme to the other.

And that's a bad thing? Are you saying it will be let down for the fact that you can't hear an annoying person on the end chuckling to themselves before saying "noob"? Also, friendcodes aren't that bad. Sure it's a 12 digit number, but geez, it's not like you have to enter it in every time, and it's not like your limited to whoever is on your friendcode list.
well of course its like a first person, but yet in a third person view!!! and if youve played it youd know its different from any FPS
i mentioned mature to go on to say why its a darker game with a grey color theme
of course it dosent all have a brown tint, nor dose gears have a grey tint everywhere, but the game looks that way for most parts
and brightness is an adjustment that should be taken into consideration if you think its to dark/gloomy of a game
but there are people who might want to hear other people, make friends maybe? well then again i guess since you are tlaking about wiis, the majority will probably be 8-12 year olds so sure, but you still want to make friends dont you?
of course, you can play with random people who you probably cant talk too, but its still a hassle nonetheless which account names would be much perferred by everyone im sure
and you totally skipped the fact about the best way to play =/

Squall7 said:
Did you just try to dispute me, by making an anology between guns? For a start, there's no power difference between 1st and 3rd person shooters, only different perspectives. Second, what about on-rails shooter? That is also first person, but has more of a difference between regular first person shooters and third person shooters.
The camera view between an FPS and a 3rd-person is very different....

[QUOTEAnd that's all it was meant to be.[/QUOTE]
Yep

I'm not saying it make it bad, I'm just saying that if I wanted so much "realism" in a game, I'd prefer to do it in real life.
Yep

Me too. Still, the delay of Metroid Prime 3 is a pretty good sign of there being implemented one. Also, Smash Bros will be excellent online. Red Steel 2 had a job posting for somebody with experience in some kind of online work - so we should see a version of that online. Battalion Wars 2 will be online as well. I think the online should be done well - Nintendo never releases anything without playing it inside and out first, and I believe the online play will be no exception.
BW2, SSBB, MP3....:cryin: Man, I can't hold back the tears of joy any longer! :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

ssbb_lover said:

Yep

Yep

BW2, SSBB, MP3....:cryin: Man, I can't hold back the tears of joy any longer! :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:
battalion wars 2 would rule online no matter what the conditions ;)

Sovieto said:
battalion wars 2 would rule online no matter what the conditions ;)
OMFG yes...that's going to be an amazing game. I'm gonna be wasting so much money on video games this year between my Wii and DS. :lol:

Sovieto said:
well of course its like a first person, but yet in a third person view!!!
I'm sure you meant to make a point there, but I don't quite follow how this sentence would help.

and if youve played it youd know its different from any FPS
If I'd played it, I would have talked about my experience rather than the video itself.

i mentioned mature to go on to say why its a darker game with a grey color theme
Why should a more "mature" game have a grey coloured theme? Resident Evil and Silent Hill are both mature, yet they manage to get colour in places.

of course it dosent all have a brown tint, nor dose gears have a grey tint everywhere, but the game looks that way for most parts
and brightness is an adjustment that should be taken into consideration if you think its to dark/gloomy of a game
Which is why I said "Not sure if it was the video itself".

but there are people who might want to hear other people, make friends maybe?
There again, it still may be possible, considering the Wii is getting a mic. Just not likely.

well then again i guess since you are tlaking about wiis, the majority will probably be 8-12 year olds so sure, but you still want to make friends dont you?
Look at the average ages on here. They range from 13-30's.

of course, you can play with random people who you probably cant talk too
Personally, I'm not really bothered with the talking. If there's any friendships struck up, and swapping of wii codes or emails would be sufficient.

but its still a hassle nonetheless which account names would be much perferred by everyone im sure
I don't really care for account names, except when it's part of a greater community (like a forum).

and you totally skipped the fact about the best way to play =/
The best way to play?

ssbb_lover said:
Indeed it is. However, game mechanical-wise, it shares more in common that with on-rails shooter which is also first person. Not that it matters.

It's late here, and I have to be up early in the morning, so I'm calling it a night.

Last edited:
Squall7 said:
Why should a more "mature" game have a grey coloured theme? Resident Evil and Silent Hill are both mature, yet they manage to get colour in places.
There's different views of what a mature game is; the person that envisioned this game thought that a darker color scheme is more mature. Do you think that if the apocalypse took over the world tomorrow, the sky would be blue and shining with the morning sun?

Valid point (he beta ya there Sovieto :p).

Personally, I'm not really bothered with the talking. If there's any friendships struck up, and swapping of wii codes or emails would be sufficient.
That's not my main reason for online, but I would enjoy talking with people I have no clue who they are.
Squall7 said:
Indeed it is. However, game mechanical-wise, it shares more in common that with on-rails shooter which is also first person. Not that it matters.

It's late here, and I have to be up early in the morning, so I'm calling it a night.
G'night mate. :D

Squall7 said:
I'm sure you meant to make a point there, but I don't quite follow how this sentence would help.

If I'd played it, I would have talked about my experience rather than the video itself.

Which is why I said "Not sure if it was the video itself".

There again, it still may be possible, considering the Wii is getting a mic. Just not likely.

I don't really care for account names, except when it's part of a greater community (like a forum).

The best way to play?

so bored of this
i was saying like IF youve ever played it, as in if you actually did play it
and
resident evil and silent hill are just as dark, if not darker, probably provide less color than gears, but yah gears has awesome color environments too
accounts wuld be easier than friend codes and let people easily make friends over the wii
i never heard about a mic coming
and for the best way to play comment, read my earlier post on why online will probably be bad

Back