Cons to wireless controller

of the things i got that are battery power all tell me when there juce is low so a light will be nice

Darkprinny said:
of the things i got that are battery power all tell me when there juce is low so a light will be nice

Nintendo did that with the GB, I'm sure they'll do the same for the Wii controller. Where did you hear that the controller will run on AA batteries? Everything these days is rechargeable...

i've seen the aa bit from gamespot....

From about 5 paragraphs in:
Though Nintendo still considered the units we were using to be prototypes, we reckon they gave a pretty good sense of the unit's heft. The controllers we had in our hands at the Tokyo Game Show were wired and weighed almost nothing. The wireless prototypes have a decent heft to them now, though. They use AA batteries, which will further add to the weight. At the moment, the main controller feels about as heavy as a Nintendo DS. The nunchaku weighs about as much as a cell phone. Holding both units in either hand feels fine, and the buttons are easy to reach.

article

They also say nintendo was claiming the controller as a prototype, so rechargable may yet happen....but this close to launch probably not, it was more likely just a safety statement in case some problem (ie the halogen rumor) cropped up and something had to change.

marth_em24 said:
Because the new Wii wireless controller only takes AA batteries, what will happen when the batteries die? Will the game know somehow and pause the game/save the game til you put in new batteries or will it just keep continuing, as you can do nothing to stop it? :confused:

What's to stop the game from just killing you off, if you are playing Twilight Princess and you are in a boss stage and your controller's batteries die out and the boss kills you, even when you are so incredibly close to beating it. :scared:

This is something I don't really understand how it will work. :mad:
Well I doubt you can do anything about the batteries dying, but you can jusst have extra batteries lying around. Though i doubt the batteries will run out too fast.

Yea I mean my Wavebird lasts a couple months when I paly with it, so really 2 AA batteries isn't that much to worry about.

ps2 controller

i have a wireless ps2 controller (logitech, tis the only good ps2 wireless controller) and with rumble it lasts for over 50 hours on AA, it has a sensor that can tell when it is low and battery and kills the rumble and flashes a light on the controller. if the amount of power left can be sensed, why cant it be sent to the console. its entirely possible that the wiimote could pause the console when out of batteries, but imo i dont think it will happen. :(

I kind of get the feeling that the console will be able to tell the difference between the controller being put down and it not sending a signal at all. I'm fairly confident that the Wii will have a method of pausing the game when the controller becomes "disconnected".

Yes, there are some serious problems here. The danger of interference is never TOTALLY "dischargable" (nor should be those two "AA" - let's pray for them to NOT be "A-hA" instead!... :p

I'm a little concerned about the need of having to buy a rechargable couple AA batteries and a recharging device as well. I think it kinda sucks. Consider how much faster could the vibration function turned ON discharge your batteries while you're very enthusiastically playing Twilight Princess... blah, that would SUCK!.

Add to this an internal built microfone and the amount of hours with your Wiimote turned on before it is off could decrease dramatically. I don't know, just pure speculation (pretty much like everything else here... :p).

Some intelligent usage of this limited amount of reserved electricity and everything might function just fine for me (and us... I mean... "Wii"...).

Playing a revamped (graphically speaking, of course) Mario Galaxy + some serious motion-sensitive controls and vibration (plus a built-in speaker for a more realistic aproach to the sound - as for example, the sound coming out of it's original, realistic point of origin e.g the sound of your baseball bat, which directly comes from, errrr, your baseball bat! And not from your Tv speakers!... - ) might be GREAT FUN and SATISFACTION POINT!.

I'm anxiously looking forward to it. :)

Maybe they don't use batteries but are like a Ipod.

But I think that when Wii doesn't get a connection from the controller it goes onto pauze or something like that = D.

Guys if we've throught of it then I have faith that a multi-million $ company who actually care about what they're selling us and aren't just throwing us a new grafix card in a box have all of this well in hand. Time will tell and have faith my children **makes the sacred sign of the "Big N"**

Maybe it'll be like MS wireless mice/keyboards, they have a low batery error message that popps up when the power starts to go low, you have a couple days from the message to change the batteries. Also, generally for wireless devices of any kind, the batteries don't just up and die, the range will start to shrink, so when you have to stand right next to the TV to get a signal, you know it's time to change the batteries. Also, as posted earlier, rechargeables. Anymore you can get a set of NiMH rechargeables with a charger for about the same price as the higer-end one-time-use batteries, but they last 3X longer and are rechargeable (also, NiMH batteries, unlike their predicessors, have no memory, meaning that their life is not shortened by half-charging and half-discharging, and their risk to electronics is all but eleminated).

motherbrainrulez said:
with my old xbox 360 control when the battery died the game thought the control was unplugged and automatically paused{-_-}

yeah that's what i was thinking for the wii

I have the xbox 360 wireless controller and it pauses when the controller runs out even the xbox when the controller was unplugged it paused maybe nintendo has learned from this we'll have to wait and hear more or possibly till the system comes out.

Back