consol war standings

l7cx1Cl said:
only saw prob 5 other ppl thats over 18 here

cud be wrong but i think its just the parents who buy there kids the Wii for the lack of violence and trash talk that the 360 gives

thats prob all the wii gives oh and besides Mario and Zelda and Metroid Prime franchises

besides the remote which is pretty dope but i like the old fashion remote

*if u didnt notice Nintendo is specificly marketing to the younge who cant comprehend the violence nature and the old who dont want to go back to violence*

As a parent, and as friends with quite a few other parents, I can tell you that NOT ONE of them bought their kid(s) a Wii due to it being a "kiddy" console. These are parents of kids ranging from around age 9 to 15 or so. Only one parent bought a Wii for their kids because the 360 or PS3 was "too expensive". All of the rest either bought their kid(s) a Wii because their kid(s) wanted one, or (much more common than I would have thought, knowing these people) that the Wii looked fun. Three families that I know of bought a Wii after playing with ours. The kids barely got to play, I showed the parents how to play, and let them have at it.

I can point to at least 10 kids in my town that own a Wii ONLY because their parents thought it looked fun. I can tell you that my sons, and a lot of their friends complain that Mom and/or Dad play with the Wii more than the kids. These parents range from mid 20's to their middle/upper 40's and all play. Churches have Wii social nights here. Bars have competitions, and there are a whole lot of Wii "dinner parties" around town on a typical weekend.

Sure, the kids may ask Mom and Dad for a Wii, but if Mom and Dad really look at it, a lot of them like it too. Not to mention quite a few grandparents also.

<edit>

And to answer your main point, most parents do NOT go to forums or chat rooms. They google for whatever answers they need, and they are gone. So I am not surprised at all that these boards (along with most others) are populated by a younger crowd.

Last edited:
Sony is perhaps doing the most condeming thing to the PS3. They are making a new, cheaper version of a PS2. Microsoft avoided such a problem by stopping production of the Xbox, forcing people to buy the superior 360. Yes the PS2 is the best console ever made, but if Sony wants to move on they can't let the PS3 live in it's shadow. It's only going to hurt them long term. Gamers aren't super rich, they buy a console they normally stick with it for a few years. Sony's price drop is welcomed, but a continuation of their PS2 is harming them. It still is the fastest selling console on the market.

Sony can't afford to gain a base of gamers 2-3 years from now. In 4-5 years they will start announcing the new next gen console for the 360, Wii or whatever else. Heck they may announce the PS4 by then too. Someone will release a next gen console in 4-5 years. Count on it.

Looking at Current Console War Standings it looks as if the Wii is on its path to repeating what PS2 did. PS3 is starting to look like the Dreamcast, and 360 will do what the original XBox did, sell well, and appeal to a more hardcore audience, while still appealing to a younger crowd and older (but nowhere near as much as the Wii will). Wii will have to come up with some more in-depth/hardcore games if it is going to succeed. If you look at the high selling games on PS2/3 (Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid) and Xbox360 (Halo3 and pretty much anygame you can also get on PC atm), Wii really doesnt have a comparative game, and it is going to hurt Nintendo if they or 3rd party developers dont do something about it.
Also Nintendo is going to have to pick up their act with online games, because atm it is one very restrictive (admittedly free) service.
BTW, prepare for Wii sales to go through the roof over this Christmas period. And for Nintendo to be the leader of the current gen systems. I'm expecting sales to be up around 20mill by Feb. But as I said, Nintendo is going to have to pick up their game so to speak, if they wanna pull in a bigger, more hardcore audience and not just these adults, and mainly children.
(I'm 19 btw)

I do agree with Veggieman that the PC world is ahead of all consoles by a longshot!

I also do agree with a few people that the wii online "world" is not at its best and that xboxlive probably feels better/more mature.

But I think that the wii is the only true next-gen console because of its new control system.

Back