cool wii control concept, but possible?

thendis

WiiChat Member
Dec 13, 2006
http://gonintendo.com/?p=12376

link is to a video where soemone has shown how they think the wii controls could be used for a star wars game.

looks awsome, but I wonder if people think it's possible? No doubt the wii's controls are fantastic, but i think people tend to forget there are limitations. For example, there is often a delay, sometimes quite significant, when pulling off a move (like when sword fighting in Red Steel).

I also think the creator of this video forgets the practical aspects of these controls. If you use the wiimote to look, for example, then swinging it up towards the ceiling to perform a special move is not going to work very well. Anyone who has tried to scratch their nose while playing a FPS on the wii will know what i'm talking about! ;)

I'm excited about what developers will come up with in the future, but I feel people need to be careful not to overestimate what it can do. Until we get some kind of major hardware upgrade, I think the lag time alone is going to hold back some of our dreams.

But, maybe i'm wrong, maybe the lag problem is just a software issue, and developers will eventually master how to give us instant feedback. I think it's entirely possible; after all, wii tennis works great. The question is can they get it to work with more complex moves?

I think most things in that vid are possible, maybe not the gradualing lifting of the blocks near the end etc.

about the delay in red steel sword fighting, i dont believe its really based on the hardware communication, its just the way its been programmed.. well in red steel for sure, without the delay i think the game would find it hard to distinguish between different arm swings to interact with the characters in game etc and gameplay wouldn't be as solid.

I think the problem is the game has to be sure that your carrying out these actions first before showing them on screen, hence the delay. but yeah theres definitly room for improvement software-wise, i think Wii Sports baseball is a good example of how responsive things can be.

Last edited:
Back