Could Sony or Microsoft copy Wii controller

UkranianTractor

WiiChat Member
Nov 3, 2006
Kinross, Scotland
I just had a scary thought! The unique selling point of the Nintendo wii is the new controller. We all know how Sony and Microsoft are good at copying ideas. Could they legally release similar Wii-style controllers for their consoles in the future?

Although im sure Nintendo have the neccessary patents and trademarks to stop direct copying of their technology, there's always a way to modify it slightly.

Im sure in time other console manufacturers will take the Wii technology into account and build on it. Hopefully Nintendo will always stay one step ahead :)

I could be wrong because I'm not really following the PS3 all that much but didn't the sort of already copy the Wii by adding motion sensors to their controller?

and that's what sony has done... Motion they are calling it a six-axis or something like that... they keep saying how they thought it would be in gamecube controllers and figured since it wasn't they'd put it in theirs... the funny part being that they only annouced it month or two ago after they did away with that boomerang looking controller

Yeah and its unimaginably awkward to control motion sensing with the ps controller. It wasn't designed to be moved so why add the motion sensor to it. I swear it will give you CPS or sore wrists.

linkzeldagame said:
Yeah and its unimaginably awkward to control motion sensing with the ps controller. It wasn't designed to be moved so why add the motion sensor to it. I swear it will give you CPS or sore wrists.
yeah the only reasonable way i saw it being used was for shooting in NBA '07 by holding by the middle and flicking yer wrist, but that would always cause button hitting problems and whatnot, its just and akward controller to use motion sensors, having yer hands so close together and twisting.

the main difference is the PS3 controller doesnt map itself thru 3d space, it only picks up the movement of the controller not its travel thru the air...

BIG difference

If they do i am going to murder them as much as i hate them already...( i always hates Microsoft but sony thats new they betrayed me those bastard!!

Sony's controller only has 6 degrees of motion (left, right, up, down & 2 diagonals) whereas the Wiimote has the full 360 degrees. So basically,Sony have tried to copy Nintendo & failed miserabley! :D

Rift said:
and that's what sony has done... Motion they are calling it a six-axis or something like that... they keep saying how they thought it would be in gamecube controllers and figured since it wasn't they'd put it in theirs... the funny part being that they only annouced it month or two ago after they did away with that boomerang looking controller
one or two months after they did away with the boomerang looking controller=
One or two months after nintendo anounced their new controller lol

Back