Dang Dongle

Wiieasel

WiiChat Member
Jan 19, 2007
N.I.
Ok, so here's the deal. I received a new Wii for my old faulty one a few days ago. So I went and bought the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector so that I could get my console online. Thing is though, the drivers won't install - The installation gets to about half way through and then just hangs for like hours and hours without anything happening. So I downloaded the latest drivers from the Nintendo website and guess what - still no joy.
I'm running Windows XP with SP2. I have Norton Internet Security enabled. And my router is a BT Voyager 205 ADSL router.
I desperately need someone to help me out here. Anyone? Please?

I had the same problem which I never resolved. All I found out from Nintendo is to:
- disable norton internet security, and any internet or file sharing security you may have on, it wont install otherwise.
- Keep playing around with the settings of your internet security, they basically said to try any combination of everything

I hope for your sake that you only have to disable norton to get it to install, you can turn it on after it's installed of course.
I had to buy a wireless router to get my wii on the net. So good luck to you!

Thanks Oceanic for your reply. I'll try it with Norton disabled and see how it goes. I'll post the results here.

Mess with the settings. OR you may need to download the latest upgrade for the dongle to work. Its on nintendo.com

Disabling Norton actually let me get as far as installing the drivers. But then once I run the test connection on the Wii I got the error message 51340. So I looked it up on the website and followed Nintendo's advice and uninstalled the USB Connector and then began to reinstall it. And now the drivers won't install at all even with Norton disabled. I get an Internet Application Sharing error or something like that when it's nearly almost complete.
Great products you've put out there Nintendo. First I get a faulty Wii and now your dongle won't do what its supposed to do.
If anybody can enlighten me on how to overcome the Internet Application Sharing error so that I can get the drivers installed again it would be much appreciated.

I'm assuming you are running windows xp here.
Click start > connect to > show all connections.
Then right click your current internet connection, select properties.
Under the general tab, ensure that file and printer sharing for microsoft networks is unchecked.
Under the advanced tab, in the internet connection sharing, make sure both check boxes are unchecked, allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection and allow other users to control or disable the shared internet connection. Both must be unchecked.
I hope that that works, once again, good luck!

Wiieasel said:
Ok, so here's the deal. I received a new Wii for my old faulty one a few days ago. So I went and bought the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector so that I could get my console online. Thing is though, the drivers won't install - The installation gets to about half way through and then just hangs for like hours and hours without anything happening. So I downloaded the latest drivers from the Nintendo website and guess what - still no joy.
I'm running Windows XP with SP2. I have Norton Internet Security enabled. And my router is a BT Voyager 205 ADSL router.
I desperately need someone to help me out here. Anyone? Please?
Could you give us some system specs? Stuff like RAM and hard drive space. Also, I'm wondering about program compatibility.

Oceanic said:
I'm assuming you are running windows xp here.
Click start > connect to > show all connections.
Then right click your current internet connection, select properties.
Under the general tab, ensure that file and printer sharing for microsoft networks is unchecked.
Under the advanced tab, in the internet connection sharing, make sure both check boxes are unchecked, allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection and allow other users to control or disable the shared internet connection. Both must be unchecked.
I hope that that works, once again, good luck!

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I tried it but it didn't sort the problem out.
The dongle is a joke, man. It's this close from being thrown in the trash can.

To Squall7 - As for my system specs, well my PC is a Medion MD 8800. It has 1.00 GB of RAM and a hard drive of 116 gb with 55 gb free space.

Right, an update - I've managed to sort out the Internet Application Sharing Error. I've now got the drivers installed. In the Windows XP registration tool my Nintendo Wii's nickname has appeared and I've granted permission to connect. I've then tested the connection on my Wii and I once again get the error 51340. What the heck do I do now? Can someone please help me with this. Thanks.

It's definitely a system conflict, preventing the software install. I've installed these before, they're simple plug and play... assuming you have a general understanding on the proper way to install peripherals. Most mfr's recommend you install the software first, and then plug in the device, sometimes mid-install for for mfr's software to ensure the device works properly. So if you've already plugged in the adapter before installing it, unplug it, uninstall the software, reboot and properly reinstall it. If the software install messes up, no setting in the world will make that work (your not a programmer right...? :p) Keep us updated.

tuned said:
It's definitely a system conflict, preventing the software install. I've installed these before, they're simple plug and play... assuming you have a general understanding on the proper way to install peripherals. Most mfr's recommend you install the software first, and then plug in the device, sometimes mid-install for for mfr's software to ensure the device works properly. So if you've already plugged in the adapter before installing it, unplug it, uninstall the software, reboot and properly reinstall it. If the software install messes up, no setting in the world will make that work (your not a programmer right...? :p) Keep us updated.

Ok, I feel I've done everything under the sun to make this thing work. The latest drivers are installed and I'm plugging in the dongle when it prompts me too. Setup is then complete and my Wii's nickname is appearing on the windows xp registration tool. I'm granting it permission to connect. Then when I run the connection test I keep getting error code 51340. I've done what Nintendo say to do when that error code appears and still nothing works. So I'm at a loss here guys. Is my router (a BT Voyager 205 ADSL) not compatible with Wii Online or what's the deal here? A whole Saturday wasted trying to get this freakin' thing to work! 51340, 51340, 51340 - come on somebody has to know the answer to this error code?!

Last edited:
Wiieasel said:
Ok, I feel I've done everything under the sun to make this thing work. The latest drivers are installed and I'm plugging in the dongle when it prompts me too. Setup is then complete and my Wii's nickname is appearing on the windows xp registration tool. I'm granting it permission to connect. Then when I run the connection test I keep getting error code 51340. I've done what Nintendo say to do when that error code appears and still nothing works. So I'm at a loss here guys. Is my router (a BT Voyager 205 ADSL) not compatible with Wii Online or what's the deal here? A whole Saturday wasted trying to get this freakin' thing to work! 51340, 51340, 51340 - come on somebody has to know the answer to this error code?!

Did you try buying a new ADSL Wireless router? That should solve your problems.

Back